Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cracked block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Ford-hr, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Old-Ford-hr

Old-Ford-hr

I have a flathead with a crack in the block in two places. Both cracks are between a water jacket hole and a threaded head bolt hole. The head bolt hole is open to the water jacket on both cases. I see no visible cracks between any of the cylinders and the water jacket.
    My question is this block useable as is? I am trying to post a couple pictures of the cracks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the cracks you mentioned are the ones I think they are, they are known as "part number cracks" because they are so common. They are of no consequence. Of all the flathead blocks I have been through, I have only seen two that did not have at least one of those. Just use a good thread sealer on the bolts/studs.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Pics aren't working

61cad likes this.
  4. Old-Ford-hr

Old-Ford-hr

Can you see the pictures?

5. KenC

KenC

no pics here either

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried to look at the pictures but got a "H.A.M.B. Error". I will say the cracks from the water passages to the bolt holes ONLY are not a problem. Pictures always help, though.

BTW, just because you can't SEE any other cracks doesn't mean they aren't there. The only way to be sure is to pressure test the block; ofttimes, there are crackes hidden in the exhaust passages or pan rail that aren't visible to the naked eye.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  7. 2234C70D-7FED-42F4-A1B7-89C06F6FFFAD.jpeg Those cracks are no worries;pretty common. Run it as is,make it a driver!

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

What's your dogs name? Rusty I hope:D:D