Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coumbia two speed bulletproofing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greazhonkey, Sep 24, 2009.

1. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Is anyone familiar with the process involved in bulletproofing a Columbia Two speed?

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine burnt one up because the oil ran out when they gave the car attitude.He put a seal in the torque tube to keep it in.
    that has exhausted the extent of my knowledge other than another friend said they weren't too good.

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Don't know the process but there two guy who do it-one on the west coast and one in Tennesee. Try the Fordbarn if the answer doesn't come up here.

4. Fogger

Fogger

Dan Krehbiel rebuilt the Columbia for my '32 Roadster. I've had the car completed for a year and a half and 3200 miles. Dan did recommend the torque tube seal to keep the oil in the axle. He has years of experience rebuilding these valuable assemblies and you can contact him at 951-302-5922. He's in Temecula, Calif. The FOGGER

5. plan9

plan9

bulletproofing and columbia 2 spd's do not go hand in hand. it doesnt take much torque to ruin one. what motor/trans are you using? and what sort of usage are you intending to get from it?

but yes, give this guy a call... he has a catalog of all the parts he ropops.

John Connelly
    PO BOX 891311
    Temecula CA 92589-1311
    phone: 951-719-4077

www.columbiatwospeedparts.com

6. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I'm running a stock 8ba with a lasalle 3spd and an open driveline, I'm not looking to burn the road up. I am aware that John Connelly knows his stuff, but I am looking to do this work myself and not farm it out.

7. Fogger

Fogger

As I recall Jack Connelly and Dan Krehbiel are or have been partners. There's a wealth of information available from them both. Contact both for parts and advice. The FOGGER

8. MilesM

MilesM

They are neighbors. Jack has mine right now. The bullet had hit mine!

9. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I am aware of John Connelly, I am aware that he makes parts, and rebuilds columbia's. I am looking for info on the process of bullet proofing a Columbia, so that I can perform the work myself. Thanks.

10. panic

panic

Sorry, what is bullet proofing supposed to mean?
    No matter what you rebuild, making the big metal parts (shafts, gears) new out of moly etc. would cost $$$. The bearings can't be any bigger without a redesign. The castings don't have enough metal in them to withstand deflection under high load.

What is it that you think you can do, except spend money?

11. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

if you are familiar with john connely then just ask him yourself what is envolved. he is a great guy and would answer any question you have about bulletproofing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  12. The part that holds the spider cross is weak. They will crack in one of the four slots where the spider cross fits . This part holds the cross and the four spider gears. When they talk about bulletproofing a columbia this part gets put in a lathe and turn down so a metal band can be pressed on to support the spider cross and the spider gears.

13. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

"Bullet proofing" is a term I have heard several times when it comes to beefing up a Columbia. I am not opposed to spending money, I just like the self-satisfaction of doing the job myself.

14. MilesM

MilesM

On my rebuild/bulletproof qoute/invoice "Bulletprooofing" is listed as A-24 banding and Cross modification and also the "basket". I do not have any technical info on how it is done.

15. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

You are absolutely right, I could call John and he would tell me what I need to know. However, I don't feel that I have the right to call him up and cherry pick info from him that he has earned and makes his living with. Therefore, I thought I could turn to my fellow HAMBer's for info, seeing as how we are all in the same boat. BTW, its involved not "envolved"

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Now...Garlits is supposed to be an expert on this, and to have a collection of Columbia stuff at his museum. I think he is a member here but not active...would it be crazy to wonder if anyone on here lives down there or knows him?? That would be a very cool source of information!

17. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Talk to "Myke" on the hamb here, he has had his done and is very pleased with it.

18. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I would get a manual, tear the Columbia apart and check the condition off all the parts, magnaflux or change any suspect parts. All the time you're doing this take and post pictures of your process and progress on the project. Then you will lure the Columbia HAMB SMEs (subject matter experts) out to help. Might take longer to complete than you like but if you're looking to DIY it may be a viable option? There has already been two TTPs (Tactics, Techniques and Procedures) posted as replies, seal in torque tube and spider gear reinforcement, tear that badboy down get the manual and charge up your camera!

19. plan9

plan9

well, you didnt state your intentions in the original post. its VAGUE as shit.... GOOD LUCK

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I always thought the weak spot of the Columbia was that gear with hollow shaft attached like a pinion gear. Of the 4-5 I took apart all had that problem so I dumped them and gave up on the Columbia idea.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some parts are pretty weak inherently, with no room to reinforce...also, they are not good at actually shifting. Some people think they are going to be able to drive using 6 speeds...not really so, more shift it once for a trip, shift it again for around town.
    I would love to hear more about known procedures, especially from Garlits who is allegedly a nut on the things.

22. panic

panic