Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cost of sand blasting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jersey Joe 67, Apr 11, 2009.

1. I sandblast all my own parts, frames and body panels, i have never had to deal with warpage. I got a 500 pound bag of sand for 100 dollars including the bag, well the bag has deteriorated before i used all the sand, i have sandblasted my 63 chevy truck frame twice, didn't do the priming properly after the first time, hey i was only 16, and the only car guy in the familyand you know how word of mouth is just rattle can prime it, didnt clean all the sand off because it does leave a fine dust film. I have sandblasted tractor parts and panels, some engine parts ( fans, pulleys, tappet covers, my model a, 63 chevy panels, and 65 pontiac stratocheif.
    i like sandblasting a) because for me its fast and cheap, B) If you move fast all over the panel it never gets hot its gets slightly warm (i use alot of air and a little sand keeps things really cool, and go at a angle never 90 degree) but way way less than a car with a black paintjob. The Bad things are it sucks up air bad, but i have a little 5 gallon pressurized, you need the airline to be as dry as possible, it is messy, but if you live out in the country its okay just run a long airline out from the shop like 70 feet or longer but you do loose some airpressure. Wear a proper respirator, safety glasses, earplugs, old welding gloves, and keep all skin covered.

2. njchris68

njchris68
    from Jackson NJ

Anyone out in NJ know of a good place to get a truck taking down to bare metal? was thinking of having it soda blasted is thier any one in the area that had this done with good results? I am in Jackson NJ.

3. aldixie

aldixie

Theres a place down here in Houston that were featured in one of the Hot Rod magazines. They charge $1500 for a complete car inside and out. They will do trunk lids and hoods for around $125. I have a decklid for my A that I'm going to try them with. I tried stripping it my self but the paint was hard as nails.

4. sawzall

sawzall

wow

I have an amish blaster.. I just sent another hamber to him with a 37 ford coupe.. the entire car (no frame) was UNDER 300..

I've used this same fellow for quite some time now.. complete assembled cars and parts..

I didnt realize how good I have it..

5. rpacker

rpacker

Do you have any contact info for this guy? I'm in south central PA and will be getting this done next Spring.