Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. vetrod62

vetrod62

Spider gears, drive shaft yoke, twisted drive shaft, transmission. At least that is the order my car did. :D

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"A Carson Top is a padded non folding top designed and built by Carson Top Shop. The first Carson Top was designed and built by Glen Houser in 1935. This top was built for a 1930 Ford Model A Convertible. Carson tops were made between 1935 and 1965."

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly ! :rolleyes:

4. If you want to keep your original rear end I recommend changing the posi side gears to the ones used in 65 or so Mopar and going with the larger diameter axles. Dana made the Chevy posi and the Mopar posi so there is no problem swapping the side gears. Along with the axles the next thing up would be straps on the caps or billet caps on the housing since they would be the next weakest link. The Junior Stockers in the late 60's had that rear end down to a science. It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate that today.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

I know all about creep but remember back in the day that axles were a bit of a weak point and my 50 year old axles are probably a bit suspect. My trans is a new M22 wide so it should be OK. I have a few driveshafts so may be good there.

My car is not really making big power and axles are relatively cheap for the peace of mind that I am not hammering 50+year old axles.

I can hammer on the red car if I want but still want to have just a little bit of fun with the black car. I can't afford to break too much as then I get nothing accomplished with my other junk. Just thought a better set of axles was something to consider.

Hope all is going well with you Jim (and Butch I hope as well). Happy New Year-Jim

6. vetrod62

vetrod62

Jim, As I remember, the Chevy rear is a Dana. (it has been 46 years since I ran one ) The posi case is really easy to break ( all the bolts snap holding the posi together ) , and usually cracks the diff. housing. I would leave with a soft launch. At our NJO solid axle corvette meets I have seen broken stock axles and sheered wheel studs. :eek:

I think you are using Cragar wheels, you might want to up size your lugs to 1/2" and longer length.

Thanks for asking, I am doing well. Butch is doing a little better and may come home from the rehab in a few months when he can move on his own. Jim

[​IMG]

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

John Brown thanks for the tip although I am not going drag racing with this car, maybe just a couple trips. It is pretty much my go to driver and is fun but every once in awhile you feel the need to put your foot in it.

Jim (Vetrod) suggested I put bigger studs in it which I kind of thought of anyways since I have a broken stud. I thought why not just upgrade the axles since I know they are pretty suspect. That is pretty much where I want it to end. As I said I am very familiar with creep. I have too many projects now and am spending this winter repairing the cars I have "done" instead of starting on a new project. If the black car breaks in any significant way then I will be kicking myself. I can change a couple of axles in an afternoon but redesigning a pretty weak design to begin with is not spending time wisely in my opinion.

If I wanted to go racing as a junior stocker, which sounds fun, then I would probably put an Olds/Pontiac under it and pretend it is "stock". The junior stockers did not have that option so they had to use their head with suggestions like yours. I am kind of leaning towards changing the axles and crossing my fingers. Thanks again.-Jim

8. jackal396 View Post
    Whats a carson top?
    Baron right, I made a fiberglass shell padded it, attached a corvette convertible fabric top over it.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This may have already been posted. street freak? gasser? Im not sure but I do like it.

Attached Files:

10. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Baron,

Thanks for the information on the carson top, thats a new one for me.

When i built the driveline i tried to make it as bulletprrof as possible, 5/8 wheels studs, strange 35 spline axles and spool, 1958 olds/pontiac rearend with back brace, strange chromoly yoke, chromoly trans yoke, 1350 series u-joints, 4 link fit underneath the stock body with x locator and strange coilovers, so far so good.

jp

Attached Files:

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Low Budget, I really like the 62 and to me that is the perfect survivor. Would love to own it. I remember when it came up on ebay and was real tempted but my cookie jar was a bit low on funds at the time.

JP it appears as if that rear setup should probably hold together. Here is a picture I always liked and saved the cover all these years. A 62 from 1979 that looks like it would create some good times.

[​IMG]

12. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Ever since i was a tiny tot i have liked corvettes that have been made into hot rods, modified, gassers, racers and when they have the stock look on the outside, blown, tunnelram of modified engines and nice wheels its a hard combination to be beat for looks and performance.

Jim i am glad to hear your friend is doing better.

jp

13. Just a few quick questions. What's the rear axle housing width of a 60 Vette? (Backing plate flange to backing plate flange)
    How much wider is the track (Axle flanges)

I know Ford 9" the track is 6 inches wider. The question is that someone wants to buy one of my 9" Ford axles (54" flange to flange) and I've only got 1 but I have quite a few narrower and wider. I'd hate to let my only one that fits my 60 get away from me.

Thanks

rod1 likes this.
  14. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Here is a picture of the shirt.

jp

Attached Files:

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Movin on, I had to track out to my outside storage so it was like going through a Dr Zhivago type landscape, but looked at the rear end housing that came out of the car in my avatar. It was supposedly out of a 1958 Vette (they threw it in when they quit drag racing to appeal to the stock crowd I suppose). I measured from outside flange to outside flange and it is 55". Of course the tube extends beyond the flange where the bearing sits about 3/4". The axles need to be hammered in but it appears it would be right around 60" from outside wheel flange (what the wheel sits against). So if my housing is correct it is 55" plus 5" (2/12" per side).

If you need any other measurements such as to center of spring pad to outside flange let me know.

I believe the 60 and 62 are the same but cannot swear to it.Jim

16. Jim: Thanks I did some searching and the "Track" width is spec'd as 59" so your 60" is good. My Vette is tucked away in a corner of my shop and I can't really get under it to measure the axle width. It still does have the webbing straps under the axle, so I'm pretty sure it's the original.

I bought this one out of Warren Michigan in 1977 ($2400) and when I retired in 2003 brought it to Oregon.

So I guess I'll keep the 9".

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jim I remember that cover well. The inspiration for my 62 back in the early 80's. JP's car has that same "killer look".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks JP, It has been a year since he has been home.

19. vetrod62

vetrod62

Jim you are correct and 60 to 62 should be the same. As I remember it, corvette flange to flange is 55", 1957 Olds is 55", 57 Pont is 56" ( that is when they started the wide track thing).

The 2.5" additional width on each side to the axle flange seems industry standard. I have the 434 sbc 61 vette back in my garage to replace the rear disc brakes (that do not work and have no E-brake ability) to return to drum brakes. The Strange rear drum brake assembly I bought from them with a late model Torino pattern, fits just like the stock 61, 2"x11" shoes. (The rear axle housing in this car uses the late model Torino pattern, rather than the big Ford or 57-64 Olds flange pattern, that I am used to )

They are for a F-150. So easy to install. The stock vette brake cables fit right in.

Jim, I agree, just get the axles, they will want to know what wheel studs you want. The 1/2" x3" threaded through the axles we usually get are only $20 extra. The 434 to replace the pressed 7/16 1" studs cost almost $200.

I would think 7/16" 1.5" ARP studs would be no up grade. Jim

Here is a 9" width chart I saw listed a while back for you other builders. The widths are drum to drum, not flange to flange. Spring pads should be replaced with stronger ones and welded in place once proper width and angles are set.

9 inch Ford Axle Widths
    1965-1966 Mustang-57.25 inches
    1967-1970 Mustang -59.25 inches
    1971-1973 Mustang -61.25 inches
    1977-1981 Versailles -58.50 inches
    1967-1973 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane-
    59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
    '57-'59 Ranchero and station wagon-57.25 inches
    1966-1977 Bronco -58 inches
    1977-1981 Granada/Versailles-58 inches
    1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane-59.25 inches
    1971-1973 Mustang-61.25 inches
    1964 Falcon-58 inches
    1967 Cougar-60 inches
    1967 Fairlane-63.50 inches-coil springs
    1972 Ford Van 3/4 ton-68 inches
    1973-1986 Ford Van 3/4 ton-65.25 inches

1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon
    57.25 inches narrowest 9" housing
    1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches-5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
    1967-1973 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes-59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
    1967-1971 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes-59.25 inches 1975 Mustang II 8" -57.00 inches
    1974 Maverick 8" -56.50 inches<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Jim good info

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron although I really liked that picture and really liked the black 62s I think the thing that sealed the deal for me on a black 62 was Alan Patterson's M/P black 62 that he ran when I bought the car (1977). Would post the pic but with the wheels and hood scoop it may bring out the lights and sirens.-Jim

22. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,

That black corvette on the magazine cover reminded me of this car, i think the picture was taken at billetproof in washington.

jp

Attached Files:

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pretty nice looking 61 JP.

24. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

I have a Dana 60 in my '63. I remember reading a gear comparison test years ago that said the Dana with a 4:88 gearset was actually stronger than a comparably equipped 9" Ford. Any other gear ratio was not as strong as the Ford. Like you, I've always had good luck with the '60

25. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Opel GT

26. Opel Gt used a transverse leaf on the front suspension. If that's what you have, it's likely an Opel.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  27. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is a vintage shot to bump this thread.

Attached Files:

28. IMG_1158.jpg Vettes were more in "sports" classes, not Gasser classes but may have shared some visual or stance similarities

29. elgringo71

elgringo71

I agree, very few corvettes ran the gas class. Most of them ran as sports modified which allowed for a 25% engine setback versus a 10% engine setback for a gasser.

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Elgringo’s above post makes me wonder whether more Corvettes ran in modified sports or gas (and then I suppose some may wonder on modified production with all of the Vettes running in MP and modified eliminator classes in the 70s).

As I understand modified Vettes were required to run in MSP in the NHRA from 1960 through 1967. No Vettes that I can think of ran in gas during that period (although I am not sure if Limelight ran in AA/G on the west coast prior to 1968).

In 1968 a good number of modified sports race cars were required to run in the gas classes (up to 10% setback and if 25% they ran altered). I can remember a number of early Vettes running in gas through 1973 (and maybe a bit later that I do not remember).

With so little real interest in the Corvette community in the heritage of Corvette drag cars I am not sure we will ever come up with a definitive answer to that question. Were it not for forums such as this the topic would more than likely never be addressed in any serious manner. I wonder if one was to tally up MSP vs gas vs MP Vettes, what the actual numbers would be.

Thankfully I was able to watch them run in MSP, Gas and MP and liked all of them the same I suppose, although if I had my druthers, in the mythical wayback machine, I would pay to see them run the old modified eliminator races with RPMs north of 10,000 rpms. Whatever they were all good stuff.-Jim

1934coupe likes this.