Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvair steering box help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jul 6, 2015.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I just road tested my 31 ford roadster and the steering has way too much play . I have a reversed corvair steering box is there a way to get the play out?

2. The box should have an adjuster look for a screw and a jam nut. That may not cure it though. makes sure that everything else is tight as well.

3. Beau

Beau

There is a side adjust and a for-aft adjust with the BIG nuts. If you can't see that by looking at it bring it to someone.

"Like on any box, adjusts the worm gear first with a slight pre-load on the bearings, then adjust the side nut to have a slight drag when the box is centered. It is best to do this with the pitman arm disconnected in order to getr a good feel."

"I've had many old boxes and if you obey some simple rules, they will give you many years of faithful service. Sometimes people judge their boxes with their fingers. This is wrong. Mount your box, and pump your worm shaft slowly, let the lube surround your worm, once it gets lubed real good, give it some quick thrusts. If there is a feeling of nothing, you haven't got ALL the play out. Unscrew your nut, have your wife or girlfriend move it back and forth real slow. Screw it in a little tighter. Now tighten your nut. by Michael Daniels ":)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/corvair-steering-box.82809/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thanks for the help guys all is well with the steering now