Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Correct year Gasser candidates??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cambusta, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Cambusta

Cambusta

So, I'm finally getting around to getting started on my own gasser. And I've decided It's gonna be a Chevy II. But there's just one problem. I know where a great 67 Chevy II is but it seems most people that build Gassers stick with 64 and below year cars. Would it be strange or not trad to do a 67' Chevy this way? Thanks fellas. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Brother, I sincerely hope you don't get blasted on this. First, for posting about a '67 and, second,
    using the term "gasser". Personally, I love Chevy IIs. I've had two '66s, two '67s and a '68 SS.
    Whatever you do, good luck with it.

Cambusta likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

67 Chevy II's are great cars for Gassers or modified production cars. Personally I would choose an older model to be on this site.
    As a former ChevyII nut ,I hate to see that model get chopped up when they look a lot better as a sleeper or super stock clone. Use something older than 64 and call it a hot rod with a straight axle if you aren't going to race it. Fewer people on here will give you grief about another Gasser build.
    Look at the Southeast Gassers. Plenty of early Novas to see and get ideas from. One of the easiest cars to put an axle under since Speedway brought out the front chassis kit. Almost no fabrication can be done in a weekend.

32Stoker likes this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

GASSER WARS HARDCOVER BOOK DRAG RACING'S STREET CLASSES: 1955-1968 LARRY DAVIS---Larry Davis sums it up: “For every Eliminator type of car that competed on a national level, there were literally thousands of gassers that competed every weekend. And for every gasser at the strip, there were another thousand cars on the street that were gassers in every sense of the word except they simply didn’t know it because they didn’t compete at organized drag events.”
    gasserbook.jpg

alphabet soup and quick85 like this.

5. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

It would be strange and non-traditional to build a gasser out of a 66 or 67 chevy II.
    Hope that answers your question.
    Pete

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jungle Jim and Dick Harrel ran blown/injected altered wheelbase versions (probably 66s).

7. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

"Jungle Jim and Dick Harrel ran blown/injected altered wheelbase versions (probably 66s)."

They sure did but I always considered them fx cars. I don't think they would have met the gas class rules in several areas. As I remember it the big time gassers disappeared during the summer of '66. Most of them were match racing on fuel and the bodies morphed into freakish looking affairs. In 1967 they went to new type bodies and along with the fx cars became the start of funny cars. SWC had a mustang that ended up almost killing Doug Cook.
    That's how I remember it but I'm old. Might be close to what happened.
    Pete

8. squirrel

squirrel

Scoot the rear wheels forward, call it a match race car, and have fun! I did a 62, to look like it was built in 66. Oh...make it go fast, too, so you don't look like a poser

[​IMG]

9. I'm with Jim here . 62-65's were really big in the match race era. Not so much "gassers".
    66-67's make great Super Stockers. Would hate to see an axle under a nice 2 dr. hardtop.
    Of course today , you might see a s/a under about anything 8dac7fab82b9a518144ab207be0627b6.jpg

slowmotion and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

I agree 66-67s make good /S, /SS, /MP as race cars. Wish I'd kept my '66. :(

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If I wanted a race looking 66-67 Nova, I'd do a clone of Grumpy Jenkins Super Stock car. Simple, clean, and nothing that couldn't be changed easily later on.

mutant55 and Just Gary like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 50's and 60's a gas class car or gasser was usually a cheap light car with a big engine in it that didn't originally come in that body style or year.
    I'm another one who would hate to see a 67 Nova hacked up to make a gasser out of it. That car doesn't belong on this board anyhow as it is a 67 and is in with the Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles rather than traditional hot rods or customs that were built using bodies that were built in 1964 or earlier before the super car thing started.
    If it were me I'd build a 327 4 speed rig out of it no matter what the body style and set it up petty much like a 67 Nova SS and be done with it.

13. X2

14. mutant55

mutant55

15. Muttley

Muttley

Clone this and be the coolest guy on the block..................

[​IMG]

Hatchet, Just Gary and tfeverfred like this.
  16. And That ^^^^ of course is also Not a gas class car :)

Hatchet likes this.
  17. Muttley

Muttley

That's why I suggested cloning that instead of building some quarter-assed automotive abortion.

18. I was just clarifying for the uninformed masses

31hotrodguy and Just Gary like this.
  19. Thank you ,Don.
    The one I posted isn't a gasser either.Just trying to help the o/p build something cool, rather than faddish.
    Next thing you know, if he listens to the wrong people, he'll have fake spindle mounts on it.:eek::eek:

Muttley, Just Gary and hotroddon like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

CRIPES!

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

If it's a 67 and a Chevy II it will be a post car not a hardtop. Novas were hardtops.
    A Lingenfelter clone of his 67 B/SM car would be really cool.

22. Grumpy Jenkins' Super Stocker (Grumpy's Toy #1) isn't technically HAMB-appropriate, so I'll just set these down here and then quietly walk away.
    grumpy1.jpg grumpy3.jpg grumpy4.jpg grumpy5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  23. Jibs

Jibs

^^^^^^Grumpys Nova was BAD ASS!!!

Just Gary likes this.
  24. Jibs

Jibs

You could always build some thing like this.

1.jpg

55 Ford Gasser and saltflats like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

If it's a Chevy II it will not be a hardtop. It will be a post car.

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is what your car (1966/1967) is based on...if you ever wondered. This is the Super Nova Concept Car...
    Looks more like a Riviera than a Nova...don't you think?

1964_Chevrolet_Chevy_II_Super_Nova_Show_Car_02.jpg

SFC likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wanna bet!
    Directly from my 67 dealer album.

20170621_171228.jpg

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Any HAMB'r that gets too caught up in the 65/earlier only deal will surely miss out on some of the best of 60's drag racing history.
    The 350 hp 327 Chevy II gave the Hemi guys fits in A/Stock.

31hotrodguy, henryj1951 and Just Gary like this.
  29. IN 66-67 For just $159 (equal to $1,173.66 today) more than a Nova 400, buyers could choose a Nova Super Sport. Available only in a Sport Coupe, the Nova SS was top of the line.

30. If you are set on building a 66-67 car, first it doesn't fit here - not that that really should matter and second it really isn't "traditional" Gasser material, but that doesn't mean that they didn't exist, but would have been pretty rare then. The Gasser Wars were ending by 67-68 and you're talking about a brand new car at that time. There was more interest in Altered Wheelbase cars and those new things - funny cars.
    If you're hell bent to do one, go ahead, but it won't be HAMB material

Just Gary likes this.