Register now to get rid of these ads!

coon tails, white mudflaps with blue reflectors and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wombat barf, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah I agree... but I happen to know an old man that has had his 1930 Model A Coupe all decorated up to the "Nines" since JC Whittney started or at least since 1961!

He's a proud advertisement of about every aftermarket part available... all the "Bells And Whistles" and up to and including crying baby dolls! Cripes he's 84 years old and I'd like to do a thread on him before he passes!

He's up early in the morning loading stacks of trophies in the trunk with all his display equipment and when he gets to a show he'll spend the whole morning setting up the display while dusting every square inch of his car all the time beaming about his car and all the rare parts he's accumulated over the years.

I've said hi to him for over 39 years and there are some that have said hi to him at the car shows for many years more than that...!

Rock On Ray!:cool:

2. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Am I crazy or does anyone remember these? When I was a kid inthe early-mid 70's I remember my Uncle had a pair of inflatable womens legs that you could put out your window or someone I remember had a set sticking out of their trunk. I remember some people put nylons on them but it was just a set of shapely legs. Anyone, anyone?:confused:

3. This would make a great thread. I hope you can put it together.
    All the bells and whistles. :)

4. slim tempo

slim tempo

What....Now my van isn't cool anymore?

Attached Files:

5. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Don't forget the miniature argile socks that your girl knitted for you to hang from your mirror :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

What about Duct Tape? Anybody remember that? Huh!? I notice that it's a common accessory these days...:rolleyes:

7. U-235

U-235

"Triple outlet lakes pipes ... generally means the owner really wasn't there in the late '50's ... or really wasn't aware."

Yep..those drive me crazy...its like if 1 is good, then 3 have to be better.....

8. U-235

U-235

"Chrome dagger dipstick handle.check. fake organ pipe rear speakers, check. red light under dash, check. small frankenstein with pop up, light up hands in rear window,check. JC Whitney glass 57 t-bird scoop pop riveted to hood, check. 63 Impala antennae reversed on rear quarter, check. reverb amp mounted in trunk, and hooked to AM radio, check. black and white half painted steel wheels with dented baby moons, check. 14" shackles and air shocks pumped to the max, check. spray on yellow window tint, check. hand gripped firmly on spark-o-matic 3 speed shifter that only jams sometimes, check. All right, let's get cruizin.:)
    Hell, I just described my first 55 chevy"

Now thats darn funny right there...but let me get this straight...your antennae was slanted to the front of the car...?

9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

fake quickchange covers!
    [​IMG]
    TP

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

At 66 years young I like some of that stuff and didn't like some of that stuff but that's our history like it or not. Hideous to some and neat to others, remember we wouldn't necessarily know what is hideous if it wasn't put out there in our history in the first place!
    There's room for less in some cars and for more in other cars.
    Just Me!

11. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

33-chevy, Thats a great picture man. Thats a nice ride

12. When I was in grade school there were these stuffed snakes that came in all sorts of color combinations. stupid looking things about 5 feet long with a red felt tongue dangling out. Would work great to use to block a bottom of a door draft. anyway it was one of those things girls would buy for their boyfriends who would then be obliged to place them on the rear deck. Really looked out of place on any car but even dummer on anything slightly modified. Was really glad when they stopped selling those snakes before I started driving. Ridiculous what young guys have placed in their cars overtime just for the hope of getting tail.

The snakes were "the thing" mid 60s in North Portland, not sure if it was anywhere else. Pre driving days for me so have no idea how widespread it was.

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Can't believe nobody's quoted the Jan and Dean song "Schlock Rod" yet...

I own a '48 Buick and it's olive green
    (Schlock Rod - ooh ooh)
    All the kids on my block say it sure looks keen
    (Schlock Rod - ooh ooh)
    With big chrome stars on the side of the hood
    And those six extra taillights do look good
    (Schlock Rod - ooh ooh)
    I - er - buy all my car parts from mail order house
    (Schlock Rod - ooh ooh)
    And everybody says my car is sure Mickey Mouse
    (Mickey Mouse - squeak squeak)
    I've got lights in my wheelwells and Porta-Walls
    I burn cheap gas and she always (clunking engine noise) stalls...

(etc., etc.)

14. Yep, you turned around the slanted antennae and it kind of followed the roof line.sick, ain't we?

15. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

thumb2.jpg

thumb.jpg

how about a big chrome thumbs up? this was on the center hood strip of my 39 ford when i got it...... i laughed my ass off all the way home everytime i looked in the mirror when it was on the trailer. i think i had the car home about a hour and it was removed. i sold the car but did have the heart to get rid of the thumb.

16. grazy

grazy

All the local diesel truck rednecks around here put bigger exhaust tips on twice the size of the tuner cars then put a sticker in the back window saying AINT SKEERD must be hilly version of No Fear I guess . My son at a car show when he was little looked at a chopped Merc with curb feelers and said dad why does that car have a kick stand? I must admit yesterday at a local junk store I paid $2.oo for an old original genuine Hollywood Wolf whistle it still has its original howling wolf stickers on it wont ever install it on anything just thought it would look cool in my display case with other cool old speed parts. Worst offenders in my book after 9/11 Imported cars with American flag stickers in windows !

17. A picture is worth 1000 words.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  18. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Where was that '56 Ford photographed - Manila? It looks like it was built by a Jeepney designer.

19. metalix_421

metalix_421

Im not even going to say anything about what has happened in todays world :eek::confused::confused::confused::eek:

Attached Files:

20. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

Before airconditioning was common there was out side sunvisors. Real spotlights when roads followed the lay of the land, shape curves, not 20' wide lanes. Curb feelers when your whitewalls were 5" wide and parking was parallel with 12" curbs. I had an A post mounted spotlight, lite up the hood so much you could'nt see the white line in the fog.

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

How about Port-o-Walls or whatever those white hoops are that make your blackwalls instant whitewalls...as long as you keep'er under 40mph.

22. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

If this dude concentrated on traditional customizing techniques with vintage tin he'd be legendary. I've already seen him on some "Crazy RVs" show. I dig the floating headlights and the attitude.

23. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Nobody remembers the pipe cleaner Skunk air freshener?

24. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Funny you mentioned the long shackels from the bad old 70's. I just saw a set on a 90 something Chevy pickup just THREE DAYS AGO!. I wondered how you could load anything really heavy into a bed chest high. Course with the nose at stock height and the tail up I guess he didn't have to worry about anything falling out even with the tailgate gone.
    Ah, but I still kinda like the old note speaker grills. The first car guy in our neighborhood when I was a kid had a real sharp mild custom 50 Chevy hardtop with the note grills on a long furry white package tray cover.

25. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

One more hideous crime against humanity is a chromed "Hot Rod" emblem on an otherwise well built car that was almost there...

Pasi

26. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Anything with flames on it.

27. trimph1

trimph1

I remember a black primered '57 Ford Fairlane, full skirts, low to the ground, straight-piped car back in the 1980's cruising around up here. This thing had the spots on both A pillars and also had the windshield visor(custom built?). Did I think to take a photo of that?

Nooooooooooo.....[​IMG][​IMG]

28. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Not sure if anyone brought this one up....

The little plastic hand with the suction cup that you attached to the inside of your glass that waved as you passed people.

It was big with truckers in the early seventies, my dad had about 40 of those things mounted in his semi truck just a waving away.

DOT banned them at some point.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

you guys are cold blooded.
    curb feelers, coon tails, blue dots, rabbit ears, princess phones....how can those be bad? they all have their place.
    Fluffy dices and hangin balls...another story.

30. trimph1

trimph1

[​IMG]

The hands/feet stuck out of the trunk...

I USED to have an old beater that I put that stuff on...there were a few times when police would pull me over thinking that I had a body in the trunk...[​IMG]:rolleyes::eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.