Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ♠Relic♣

♠Relic♣
    from Oklahoma

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

KoolVair...............

Attached Files:

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Beautiful cars, especially this one!

The one corvair I wish dad had never sold was a 68 corsa monza, same color as your 67. 4 carbs, 4 speed, black interior with white seats and door panels. Suspension was a little breathed on, widened stock rims, split front bumper. Real low mile car that got sold along with 2 sheds full of corvair parts in my early teens.

Two questions to the corvair experts....

I've heard cars referred to as 68 1/2. What's the story on that??

What ever happened to the chrome accessory caps for the bumper ends?? Dad musta done that to a half dozen of em using premade caps we'd find at swap meets. Literally hacksaw the bumper into bumperettes, and the little caps covered the cut, giving a finished look. Nobody I talk to seems to have heard of them, or remember them.

4. That's mine, and it's for sale, fyi.

5. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

Here's another "I had one of those" posts.

My Bride had a '62 Coupe when we got hitched in '64, and like I was with her, I just couldn't keep my hands off of it. I came across a big barrel kit, and a cam kit, and proceeded to really mess up a nice car. It ran like a top, mild and sweet, before I got to fooling with it; after the rebuild, it went rumpity-rumpity, left wide black stripes and oil spots everywhere it went, and just was not it's old mild self anymore. My Bride was somewhat disenchanted, and as such, she took my Corvette and gave me the "'Vair" for my regular drive. :D:cool:

ring gap likes this.
  6. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just picked this up for pretty cheap! I wanna drive the heck out of it! Will a turbo motor from any year drop in? I found one on CL that would be cool. And the pistons and jugs should swap if the motor if froze up. Right?

This one runs and drives great though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

There were three displacements for Corvairs: '60 was 140 ci (not to be confused with the later 140 HP engine), '61-'63 was 145 ci and '64-'69 164 ci.
    The '60s were all 80 hp.
    '61s had 80 and 98 hp.
    '62-'63 had 80, 102 on non-turbos.
    '64 had 95 and 110 hp non-turbos.
    The '64 164 was a one year only engine which requires some adaptation to use later jugs.
    The '62-'64 turbo were all (supposedly) 150 hp even though the '64 had more cubes.
    The '65 & '66 turbos were listed at 180 hp.
    The differences between the two were the size of the turbo- obviously smaller for '64.
    The '65 & up 164 ci engines were offered in 95, 110 (two carbs) and 140 (4 carbs).
    The 95 hp engines ran on regular but the higher hp ones needed HiTest.

Just like all other hotrods more cubes mean more hp!

Some thoughts:
    The turbos are fun if you can get them to spool up and kick in.
    The two carb engines are easier to tune.
    The 140 four carb engines are harder to sync the carbs and linkage; and the heads have a problem with dropping the valve seats if they are overheated.
    Most guys run later 164 ci 95 or 110 hp engines for a daily driver.

You can swap entire engines if you use the right bellhousing for the engine as there were some differences in the crank seal distances. Check with Clarks Corvair at www.corvair.com to see what you need.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a good RUNNING Corvair engine than to rebuild one.
    Rebuilds run in the $3000 area!

8. any progress on this one?

9. ♠Relic♣

♠Relic♣
    from Oklahoma

Never posted that it was mine! Was just adding to the topic like everyone else. I will make sure to add a dissclaimer with pic's I post in topics!!!

With that said. Please forward your information in regards to the sale of that badboy.

Thank You,
    Carlos

10. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

I remember cruising one night in a friends Corvair, drunk as skunks (remember doing that?), and pulling in a Crown gas station. The attendant came out (remember those?) and we asked him to check the water. Poor guy tried to open the trunk. We we're asses.

furyus

11. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

mine....

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'm finally getting my 65 Vair back today. When I moved form Lubbock to Springtown year before last I left it at a friends shop. Told him to store it for me and paint it when he had time between jobs. Well he called a couple of days ago and said its done. Man am i pumped. I have been piddling with it for 20 or more years converting it to midinjun. (see previous post for a couple of in progress pics) I pulled all apart so he could paint it without masking anything. I got a shop full of parts here and it will take a while to put it back together. I'll probably start an in progress thread even though its just barely OT since its a 65 or maybe just do on on this thread. I got about 400 miles to drive today so I better hit the road.

There are some pics of it on page 3 and 4 of this thread.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Brought my 65 Midinjun Vair home from the paint shop. Now I gotta put it all back together without scratching it.

Attached Files:

14. yardgoat

yardgoat

I bought some parts for my Townpanel and the guy said he had some SUN VISORS for a Corvair and long story short i have them.What are the dimensions of the visor,to see they are what they shoud be, and does anyone want to buy them,if they are Corvair.My Camaras acting up so will get pics they are black,good shape$20.00 pair +actual shipping cost.NEED A PIC AND SIZES TO Conferm there Corvair Thanks......YG

15. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Hey Hellfish, remember seing this at the '06 Hunnert? That was before I got it, Im going through it, no major cosmetic upgrades, just mechanical repairs for now, and redid the dash (un- "shaved" it). As long as it cooperates with me and keeps running I will have it there this year.

When I looked at it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, not a major diff, but like I said, improving the mechs. And some center caps.
    I want to get some rings for them also.

[​IMG]

My build thread on corvairforum.

http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=362

16. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Some cool Vairs in here for sure.

17. Nice cars, Gee, What's that big spot under the Monza???

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

Oil! What else would it be!? Actually, I dropped the pan and some shrouds and missed the oil pan by a smidge. It wasn't leaking THAT bad! That motor has been pulled and I'm done cleaning its replacement and replacing rusty shrouds. Hopefully it will go back in SOON. I'm itching to drive this thing again.

NOPE! I see half of the Pileup in photographs after the show, and the other half is only what goes through my inspection line. It's one of the downsides to running your own car show.

19. corvairforum

corvairforum
    from Hesperia

20. Budro35

Budro35

Hey there Mike!!! Any up dates on Kelly's Corvair??

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Used the bubble gum you send me to put some of it back together.

22. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Blew the heads out the side of the car, now Ive heard everything ! What are you smoking ?

23. 4carbcorvair

4carbcorvair
    from S. Maine

I was seriously considering this with my 64 Spyder. The cost of doing so is a bit high.

Subaru engine, Kennedy adapter bellhousing adapter, Porsche trans. VERY doable. :) Aproximately the same wieght as the stock drivetrain and quite a bit more HP. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my 66 Corsa vert, 140, 4sp.

[​IMG]

24. ChuckC

ChuckC

I have been lurking here for a while , figured this was a good time to join and post. I recently picked up a rust free 68 monza from New Mexico with the hopes of replicating something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was built and owned by a Dr. about 40 miles away from me up in Canada. I have seen it at the local Recall show in NY and ridden in it. He said it's quite a bit quicker then some other impressive cars in his stable. To my knowledge he is the only one to have done this. It uses a Porsche Transmission.

ChuckC
    -BB Willy's Repro
    - 56 F100 abortion!
    -68 Corvair Monza
    -03 Mustang cobra...the terminator

25. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Learned to drive in my mothers 62 corvair, later became mine, used it as a dune buggy in the Huntington hills. had 2 more one a black one that blew out the top of the jugs
    the second was a spyder, turbo car never really did much with the spyder, it had belonged to a friend of mine and was pulling in fumes through the heater as they are known to do so I bought it at the time I had a 63 nova with a cross rammed small block in it I was a much simpler person back then ! car seemed to be enough

26. Chevydeuce

Chevydeuce

27. Choptop

Choptop

hmmmm.....

28. 55xgasr

55xgasr

One that went down the road........26,000 orig. miles. Creampuff. I added the torq-thrusts which made a huge difference in the look.

Attached Files:

29. woodman

woodman

The Corvair provided many steering boxes for hot rodders over the years. Thanks Corvair !!

30. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Someone from St. Louis should chime in about the guy from north St. Louis, maybe Florissant, that built mid engine Corvairs that were powered
    by 350hp 327 chevy's. I think his shop was called the "Devils' Workshop",
    but it has been a long time. They were very well executed cars and were
    always on display at the annual show at Kiel auditorium. Someone jump
    in and add to this.