Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cooling Capacity--Mopar 51 Flathead Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddiojoe, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

I'm trying to find the cooling capacity of the dual-core radiator that was stock in my 51 Plymouth. I want to know if it has the ability to cool a 318 turning a 727 trans.

Any suggestions as to where to find this info are appreciated.

2. my friend Mike Sietsma cools a Modified 331 hemi with a stock 46 Ply flatty rad by sealing the old relief tube and installing a pressure cap neck for the cap. He runs a 10 lb cap and I have been with him several times in 90F+ weather and it hardly gets above 160 rolling and might touch 170F in traffic. The secret to cooling problems is don't let the bubbles start. 10 lb moves the coolant boiling point from 212F to 242F. If it doesn't boil it wont spew water. I helped him with this project so I have first hand knowledge. The car is in its 5th year of trouble free ops. No electric fan either. Just science. No bubble no trouble , always.
    don

3. stimpy

stimpy

for one the v-8 is going to run cooler as the exhaust ports do not run thru the block and absorb the heat as much as the flat head will . on equipment that we converted from a flattie 6 to a OHV I-6 or v-8 we often found the motors actually ran cold with the original radiator and the cid and Hp was more than the 6 was . just make sure the radiator is clean and has a good flow water and air wise .

4. 48ford

48ford

I can't say on mopars,but I'm running a 400 sbc in our ford and the original 6 cyl radiator keeps it cool. We have no problems.
    Also the 6 cylinder radiator is smaller than a V8 radiator

5. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, guys. You're a wealth of knowledge. Original radiator it is.

Joe