Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing I found at the Cedar Rapids swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 24riverview, Apr 14, 2013.

1. 24riverview

24riverview

Rochester adjustable carb stand. Just wondering if this is a tool they sold or some kind of display piece. Seems kind of fancy for just a tool but chrome was cheaper back then.

Attached Files:

2. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

I found one from offy at a swap for 94 and 97 carbs last year...offy still sells the one I found...but according to them its a base for rebuilding carbs so they sit flat and are not rolling over the bench...I would assume its the same idea for what u got

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. carbking

carbking

These started back at least in the 1930's with individual carburetor "legs" which could be used to elevate the carburetor for rebuilding and adjustment.

Several companies make, or have made, the adjustable stand pictured.

I have found most of the adjustable stands to be useless for carburetor adjustment, as when attempting to open the throttles, the throttle plates hit the cross pieces in the stand.

I make my own (not adjustable) using a piece of 1 inch plywood and 3/4 inch wooden dowel rods. After cutting the dowel rods into lengths of 2 inch, place each rod in a lathe and cut one end to a diameter of 1/4 inch for a length of about 5/16 inch. Now use a flange gasket from the carb you will be mounting to center the mounting holes on the underside of the piece of plywood. Countersink the holes, and affix the dowel rods with flat head screws. The stand will sit flat on your countertop and there are no cross pieces to prevent the throttles from opening.

Jon.