Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolant temp sensor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Mar 1, 2014.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I picked up a fan control switch kit, everything was included. Unfortunately, the sensor in my car is 1/2" compared to the 9/16 that came with the kit. I thought of re tapping the hole but, it would only 1/16 to 1/8 of inch of material around the sensor thus risking the chance of breaking or stripping the manifold.

I want to pick one up locally. Can someone tell me what American vehicle has a one wire, 1/2 inch, sensor? I know there might be other solutions but, this is the way I prefer to address it. Thanks in advance.
    Art

I already spent time at two Autoparts stores with no luck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is it a pipe thread? maybe you need to figure out what actual size it is...pipe threads are measured by the ID of the pipe, not the OD of the threads.

If you want to find a sensor, you need to know what kind of sensor it is, what temperature it does it's thing at, etc. Thread size is only one consideration.

3. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Turns on at 185, shuts off at 165. I don't know if it's pipe thread. It used to be mechanical but going to electric. The wire then goes to a relay that splits the signal to a gauge and powers on the fan.

4. trollst

trollst

Don't put the sensor in the manifold, the fan will be on all the time. Install the temp switch in the bottom tank of the rad, when the bottom tank hits 185, the engine should be around 200, perfect for turning on the fan, my 36 has been set up this way for 16 years, works like a hot damn.

5. inthweedz

inthweedz

I agree with trollst <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_9569949", true); </SCRIPT> 100%. I've got mine exactly as he describes, (although its a sender and the brass thread insert out of a jappa Mitsubishi plastic radiator) and its been working great over the last 14 years..

6. stimpy

stimpy

the sensor just reads the temp and relays it to the circuitry in the fan unit , you have to find the ohm range the sensor is in order to correctly turn the fan off and on . and the proper place is to mount it in the cylinder head like the oems do . they make upsizer bushings for this ( the holes vary to manufactuer and years , most are around 3/4" and autometer/ s-w and speedshops sells them ) as you want a even heat/cool cycle and since its hooked to a gauge you want to read the actual temp .and you can catch coling problems before they start ( stuck thermostat or collapsed hose)

7. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

That 165 to 185 is what it said on package. What you're saying makes sense and I'm not opposed to putting the sensor in lower tank. I assume you meant replacing the drain plug with the sensor. So is there a specific one from a specific vehicle? The sensor that cMe with the kit is still too big.

8. DS1937

DS1937

I'm guessing that sender you have is 3/8" pipe and the hole is 1/4" pipe. A close nipple and a bell reducer from the Hardware store should be all you need. The sender will have to be grounded through the mounting in order to work. All it is is a temperature switch but the intake manifold will be the hottest water since that's the last place it goes before it returns to the radiator.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I drilled and tapped a hole in the water pump suction line. Some fan kits come with an adapter to put it in the lower hose. The fan only needs to run if the water going into the engine isn't cool enough. A sensor in the head won't tell you that.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

11. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

The hole is 1/2 inch. The sensor i have is 5/8. The threaded hole in the radiator is also 1/2".

I know someone here on the hamb is running a one wire electric coolant temp sensor that is 1/2 inch. I just want to know what to ask for at the parts store. Year, make, model.

12. navyboy

navyboy

Glad you brrought this up.

13. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I know it's been a while..... So, what is that sensor from? What year, make, and model? And, is it one wire?