Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting to generator info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodshop, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Rodshop

Rodshop

Does anybody have the goods on how to wire a generator into a wiring harness that comes designed for an alternator? Wiring the 36 Dodge with a 401 Nailhead. I plan to use a generator- and of course the wiring harness assumes (if wiring harnesses can make assumptions) people use alternators. Any info or experience would be appreciated.
    Gayle

2. Tony

Tony

I just wired my 53 chevy with a new harness and a generator.
    Here's what i did.
    The 'Alt power' wire coming from the harness go's to the voltage regulator terminal marked 'bat'. The the 'fld' terminal and 'arm' terminal on the regulator go to the 'fld' and 'arm' terminals on the generator
    Make sure to 'polorize' (sp :D) the system when your done or it won't charge.

My harness came with a 'alt power' wire and a 'alt exciter' wire. The exciter wire was not used so it's tucked away under the dash IN CASE i even did change it out and go to an alt in the future
    Thats pretty much all i did.

It's just standard generator wiring for GM.

3. Rodshop

Rodshop

That is helpful. I have a standard diagram for GM generators, but was not sure about the exciter wire and all. It has been a while (1972?) since I have messed with a generator. Good reminder about the polorizing. I thought of that a couple of weeks ago, but knowing me, I might have forgot! Thanks
    Gayle

4. Rodshop-I like you had not used a generator on my cars for 30 plus years!

I got mine hooked up and working then I discovered a glitch I had not anticipated....
    The first trip out of the shop was to last years HAMB Drags.
    I made it south of KC and was stranded alongside the road with no generator charge/loss of fire to coil......:rolleyes:
    That when I discovered that more often than not -you cannot buy a replacement generator at most parts stores.......
    so bearing that in mind- I would recomment carrying a spare generator and a regulator of the type you are using also.......:D you remember the polarizing deal right?

5. Tony

Tony

Choprods has a GREAT point!
    I havn't put mile one on my car yet, but already have an extra generator and regulator that i planned on putting in a box in the trunk..
    On all of the stuff i build i try and think of breakdowns along the road (i know, i have a lot of faith! haha) and am i going to be able to go to a local parts store and solve the problem.

It's just that added security in case something happens.

6. Rodshop

Rodshop

Good point. Did you make it to the HAMB Drags? It was such a blast last year! Just trying to make sure I get there this year in the 36. Wish me luck.
    Gayle (Rodshop)