Register now to get rid of these ads!

Construction of a new Texaco station (1953)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mindover, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I am sorry if this has been put on here before. I did a search and could not find it on here...
    It was only put up today so I don't think it has been posted before.

I found it interesting thought some others would as well...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxbFNWhXhlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/DxbFNWhXhlY

colour footage as well.

David

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Remember the Texaco jingle,"You can trust your car to the man that wears the star"? HRP

3. I thought my Wayne pump was later than that, guess not.

4. What a great film!!! Was that a push - bumper on that Stude p/up ????

And all that carpentry with a handsaw!!!

5. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

A full service filling station.

6. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

After the first video is done keep linking to the other videos some really great stuff from the fifty's

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I too, noticed the hand sawing of the boards, but what I can't figure out is, what were they doing, rubbing the windshields of the customers cars?

8. Thanks for posting loved it!!

9. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Super cool! Those sure look like better times. I really think I was born in the wrong generation.

10. Hilarious!

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Cool. It's probably a food mart now operated by Iswami Salami.

12. demonsix

demonsix

Cool video! Now that's manual labor!

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great video and a great look at that era.
    Carpenters hand sawing boards rather than grabbing a skillsaw, a crew with shovels moving dirt and gravel rather than one guy on a bobcat.
    service station employees giving service rather than sitting behind a bulletproof glass and taking money with a slide out box.

14. service with a smile

15. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Very cool video!

There are some others from that era that are amazing as well.

Love watching all that hard work being done without today's standard of 3 supervisors watching and doing nothing per worker actually working!

16. Zerk

Zerk

I just figured they were washing masonry dust off their cars.

Plus one more on the hand saws, I guess those rusty saws in Dad's garage weren't just for decoration.

And if you think it's easy throwing a rope to somebody who's up on a ladder, think again.
    Thanks for posting the vid, It made me take another look at what old buildings represent.

17. Not one power tool, not one generator or compressor and NO OSHA! How did we ever get anything done without OSHA!!! Oh yeah, no Boombox either

18. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks, but where do I buy my lotto tickets and get beer?
    My first real looks at women were while cleaning car windows at the old Clark Station in central Illinois. Amazing what they didn't wear after they dropped their husbands off at work. ;)
    Pumped 100 octane gas, cleaned all windows, checked oil, water, battery, tires. Gave Green Stamps, free glass glasses, lighters, and other good things that could actually be used... all for 24.9. A real service station with attendents who spoke English, came out to service the car in all kinds of weather and was friendly and curtious.
    Those crews working on the stations could leave their tools and their trucks unlocked and come back the next day knowing the equipment and supplies were still there. .

19. very cool. that ready mix truck they where bouncing on says "matoon" wonder if thats matoon ill.? be neet to see a pic of the place now if it's still there.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - I found this one, a little older, while out hitting local garage sales over the weekend. bought go cart same day.

Attached Files:

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

If that was today,it would be a crew of Mexicans doing hand labor .
    Electric portable saws were available and in common use by 1950. Those guys are doing crude concrete forms.Notice no one is rushing around .Obviously a fat contract.:D

22. The reason they left their tools there with out worrying was who would steal something that you would have to work with. I grew up in the 40s and 50s. It was a great time. Did the service station thing and hand washed a lot of cars and windshields and saw some real scenery.
    Thanks for sharing the video with us.
    Later,
    Dick

23. tjmercury

tjmercury

Great video! Really liked the guy shimmying up the gin poles and the cement truck with the front wheels a foot off the ground!

24. i watched it over and over and never once saw obama or any other government official on that job site building that small business. looked to me like ordinary hard working americans building that small business.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I loved the look of the original station, I remember a few places like these here in England. Everything is plastic signs now. I guess thats progress...

David

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That is because if you will notice, they weren't building a road, bridge, water or sewer plant, etc., which is what Obama was referring to. But even if they were it wouldn't look that different because private firms also get hired to do all that also. Instead of watching the video again, how about going back and actually listening to Obama's complete quote. You might find it a bit enlightening. He was actually stating that government needs to help support businesses and one way they can do that is providing the infrastructure we all can use so they don't have to do it and shoulder the burden themselves. The 'you didn't build that' part was referring to all the stuff government builds to help us all, like the road right out in front of that gas station for instance.

Honestly, I'm not the greatest fan of Obama myself, but the incorrect trash talking isn't productive. If nothing else, a gas station benefited immensely from the road and highway systems that our government built for us under leadership of both parties. So maybe appreciate it from that perspective and keep the politics part to yourself. We can enjoy the cool video without the trash talking.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  27. deto

deto

(Fart noise)....

As far as the video goes its great

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Take it as you will. I'm already fully aware that you don't let facts and stuff like bother you too much. I ignore a few myself when it's convenient. But we can agree on the video and old cars though I guess. We probably have more in common than you might think besides that. But that whole Berkeley bit is a hard thing to see past I would imagine. Don't worry though, even though I'm not that hip on the Ventura area myself, I'm ok with you living there and don't care one way or the other about it.

If you ever find yourself near here, hit me up. I'd be glad to treat you to a beer or two.

29. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Cool vid Mindover, thanks for posting it.