Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Consew 226 walking foot

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CoronaR, Mar 11, 2016.

1. CoronaR

CoronaR

I am new to the forum. I am having a problem with French seams on a seat. I have a Consew 226 and have it set to 5 stitched per inch. If I glue padding(1/4", 1/2" or headliner material) to the vinyl I cannot get a continuous 5 stitches per inch. It will be 5 in some areas and 7,8, 9 or10 in others. As a finishing seam, that is very noticeable. Has anyone had this problem? Any idea's? I am getting back into the trim business. Thank you all

2. Welcome to the HAMB.
    Can you post up pics of this?

3. aaggie

aaggie

I'm self taught and still learning but I think your problem is the material is too thick after glueing the foam backing to it. Try trimming the foam back about an inch from the edge then sew your first pass with the two pieces face to face with the seam in about an inch from the edge of the material. Cut a backing strip about an inch wide and and sew it to the back side of the folded over first seam. I use the edge of the presser foot as a guide and try to keep the edge of it on the first seam.when you get to the end clip the thread and go back to the start and align the other side of the presser foot with the first seam and sew the other side of the backing strip. If you trimmed the foam backing at an angle it should be a smooth transition to the backing strip.
    I bought a few books and filled up a few trash cans with practice pieces but it makes sense when you try it.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Take a hammer and beat the seams flat. A machine that does 4 stitches or less an inch would be better. I was sewing pleats with a 5 inch per stitch machine and realized they were to close together(7 or 8stitches per inch), stopped what I doing and traded for a different machine.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Presser foot pressure and lift cause these symptoms. Also how you hold materials, as in you push or pull.

6. also the amount and type of glue used....Glue will play hell on the hole in the needle...

7. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

I HAD THIS PROBLEM AN WHAT WAS THE CAUSE WAS THE FEED DOGS ON THE MACHINE WERE WORN ALSO USE SOME SILICONE SPRAY ON THE BED OF THE MACHINE TO HELP YOUR MATERIAL SLIDE ON THE MACHINE BED

8. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

try more pressure on the presser foot, sometimes that foamback headlining material doesn't like to slide through the machine. spray silicon or armoral on the sewing machine in front of the needle area.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Also check the height of the feed dogs, they should rise about 1 MM above the deck.

Rich