Register now to get rid of these ads!

Condensation or water in my rocker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Terry, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Hi,

I've recently got my truck on the road after fitting a 235ci motor. I am noticing a small amount of water in the axhaust and inder the rocker cover. It is enough that when i removed the rocker cover earlier and tipped it up, i got drips of water dropping onto the ground. The rocker cover studs have gone a bit rusty too.

Any suggestions as to what could be the cause?

I have re-torqued up the head bolts to 100 ft-lb and each one has gone about 1/8th of a turn.

The oil doesn't look milky on the dipstick, but the engine has only run a few miles apart from running in the workshop.

I obviously don't want to pull the head off if i don't need to.

Could it just be due to a lack of use???

If anyone could give me a few pointers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark.

2. Short trips where the engine doesnt get warmed up and slow speed driving will cause condensation. The road draft tube crankcase ventilation system only works at highway speeds. I suggest that you retro fit a PCV valve. OldWolf

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

http://fototime.com/{1B8FC14B-503F-4386-8909-9D6C9C059BA1}/picture.JPG

Assuming you are not losing coolant...

Yes if it still has the road draft breather system and you are just periodically starting it in the garage with out driving it.

One of the most important jobs of a breather system, PCV or road draft, is to remove water vapor from the crankcase that will condense into water when it cools down. The original road draft system will not operate in the garage. It has to be moving down the road to function. If you retrofit to a PCV system, then it will remove the water vapor while sitting still in the garage.

4. Aren't your head bolts recommended to be torqued only to 90#?:confused:

Simply cranking in additional torque over and above the recommended figure can stress your head bolts close to the failure point in some cases.

Especially so if the torquing is done dry.

Not criticizing here, but high torque values can actually lessen the bolt's clamping force.

5. Little Terry

Little Terry

It states 90-100 in the manual.

Thanks for your help guys.

As a starting point, i'm just going to drive it more and monitor what happens to the water. Might fit a valve as a last resort.

What would i do without the HAMB?!? :D

6. krooser

krooser

Make sure your road draft tube isn't plugged with sludge....

7. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

put half a bottle of seafoam in with the oil..or drive it more.

8. Mart

Mart

Hi Mark.
    Yeah, lots of short trips can cause that. Also maybe the thermostat is not working or could be hotter? Give it a real good run and always make sure the engine comes up to temperature.
    Mart.

9. Little Terry

Little Terry

Hi Mart.

I aint got no thermostat in there mate! Will give her a good run this weekend though. what's goin on with that sedan these days???

Mark.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

that can contribute to your problem too.