Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compression numbers for 327 350hp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KidAgain, Mar 20, 2009.

1. KidAgain

KidAgain

Hey fellas,

How much compression should my L79 327ci 350hp have? Currently measuring about 120fp.

Tanks.

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

3. KidAgain

KidAgain

Hi, thanks but not my question. Not the compression ratio, but the actuall compression value during a compression test, i.e., 120 pounds or ???

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If they are all about the same you can get by BUT seems low to me. 150 160 would nice!You really need to do a leak down test to see where it's all going. You don't say if thats a wet or dry test............. JMO

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Found one reference on another forum to something on order of 170-180 psi, but no details. Nothing official. Lots of variables. How wet are the cylinders? How hot is the battery? What rpm did you achieve while cranking? Plugs out of other cylinders?

6. KidAgain

KidAgain

Hi Fellas,
    Thanks, I thought it was low. IT was a wet test and the engine was holding really good oil pressure (65lbs). Not sure of the rpm, but it was a fully charging battery running a good starter, so whatever that would be. Guessing 100 rpm or more. I think I will to the leak test and see what that tells me. maybe guides if I'm lucky.

7. You can lose alot of pressure with a cam also. Radical cams bleed off alot of pressure .

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It has to get passed the valves before the guides come into play. You can have good oil presure and bad comp. Sounds like your heading for a re-ring and valve job at the least. They are nice running motors when they have compression. A wet test would be when you squirt oil into the cyl. not buy trying to splash oil up at cranking............... JMO again!

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

Are you holding the throttle wide open?, you need to if not.

10. KidAgain

KidAgain

I did not actually spray oil in, I started it, ran it to warmed temp and then did the compression. I also was told by the guy I bought it from that it was rebuilt about 10 years ago. Maybe they did not put the correct pistons in if they bored it out. Is this a possible explanation?

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Most of the cammed up stock Chevys had low reading due to the overlap ... if it don't smoke or use a lot of oil, don't worry about it.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Does it run good ? Have you had any problems with it ?
    If it aint broke , don't fix it !

13. KidAgain

KidAgain

Well, it does have a flat lobe! Luv that chevy cam engineering. So I do have to change out the cam. Been thinking of a Duntov 30/30 cam. Would like that "retro" rump te rump it would get.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. bobscogin

bobscogin

How much variation in cranking pressure between cylinders? That's a good indicator of condition. Shouldn't vary more than 5% to 10%.

Bob

15. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Had a new 68 Vette with a 350-327 ,warm engine open throttle all pulgs out 180 PSI. Still had that at 50K miles when I sold it.

16. KidAgain

KidAgain

Only 5 pounds diff between any 2.

17. Its good to go then. Why do you suspect a flat valve?

18. KidAgain

KidAgain

Has a bit of a sputter so I took off the valve cover and you can see the rocker is not moving as far as the others. It's adjusted correctly too, so that's how I came to the conclusion. Am I missing another possibility?

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Collapsed lifter. $5 fix. Swap that puppy out. Maybe $15 with an intake gasket.

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This IS NOT what you're looking for, but since it was already said that the compression ratio was 11:1, it is actually 10.35:1 with the .125 dome pistons. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. Change the camshaft and change the cranking compression !! >>>>.