Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compliments.....what happens when you drive your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 30, 2010.

1. ken bogren

ken bogren

This is something I've pondered a bit. Driving my 61 F100 (avatar) I'll get a thunbs up, wave etc, mostly from middle age to old people driving other old cars.

Driving my 63 Falcon convertible (unmodified) I get many more comments from younger people, especially parents with their young (8 - 14years?) kids, many of whom will say their kids really think the car is neat or similar. My favorite comment was from a a guy that appeared to be in his late 20s or early 30s. My wife (we're married 27 years) and I pulled into a parking spot as the guy went by on foot saying to me..... "I see your car still works for picking up chicks!".

My wife loves that car!

I find the difference in the nature of the comments and the people they come from interesting.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Some good stories here.

3. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Is that real ? Or is that one of them kit cars...

4. It's fun...I drove a classic in high school, so I got used to it. The other day me and my wife ran some errands in the '64 Imperial (which she loathes!, says its a grandma car) We must have had 5-6 people honk and wave, lots of other asked about it at stop lights, then people took pictures of it at the gas station....I loved it b/c I know how "uncool" she thinks the car is. It was hilarious

5. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i've had a woman videotape me, a guy follow me into a parking lot and another guy thank me for driving it. i'd rather they just toss me some gas money though....

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Chicks video taping you? Now that is bad ass.

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What happens when I drive my car? stuff falls off and if there is no fire Im happy

8. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Took the A mordor on the autotrain. lots of compilments and after unloading i was "befriended" by another paasenger for the nice car. later to be labeled a "defiler" when he got close enough to realize it might be a wolf in sheep's clothing!!!

9. I once had a streetcorner beggar compliment me. I thanked him for approving.
    I also was driving on (west) North ave. once, and a kid with a large group of others yelled: "look, Santa's driving a hot rod!---F*** YOU Santa!" and threw a pop bottle at me...........

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Shane, I quickly scrolled through the post looking for a photo of "said Corvair". Come on dude, don't leave us hanging!

I spent my early childhood riding in my dad's 61. I also had a rusty 65 convertible one summer. You haven't lived unless you have owned a Corvair.

11. in my '39 gmc rack body daily driver that, i constantly haul large loads in, i always get "you actually use it?" i answer "yeah as soon as it wears out i'm going to buy a new one".

12. big bad john

big bad john

.....The chicks are always asking for a ride......guess they want to look "cool" too....

13. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I've had a couple interesting comments while driving my 69 Roadrunner. Most are in gas staions. Best was the teenager with way too much make-up saying to her friend she'd "go home with someone that had a car like that". My wife and kids were in the car.

Had a station owner that I knew come out to talk to me. A girl that worked there came out and wanted to take a picture. Then asked if her boss would take a picture of her standing next to it. The station owner said "I'll bet John will let you sit in it and we'll take your picture" I said yes (of course) and she hopped in the driver's seat. Always got treated real nice at that place after that.

14. Maiden voyage,open headers,slicks,no plates,no insurance,idling,first gear,some came out of thier houses and waved... the cop drove by real slow as I was backing it in the shop...coincidence???

15. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Someone narked on you

16. Two days ago I had a guy tell the wife (she was in the passenger seat with the window down) that my car looks "older than Canada" .... (it's a '38).

17. melsfine39

melsfine39

I was getting gas in my car and a lady was putting gas in a blue PT Cruiser across from me(this when they had just came out) when a guy near us points at my car and says to her "Look! its just like your car!" DUHH!! Mel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  18. The car that gets all the comments in my family is my wife's 63 Dart convert--really nice and totally stock looking. Not my cool Galaxie, not my other OT car that's pretty cool too...mostly just the Dart. Everyone says "we had a Dodge Dart when I was a kid!!...but it didn't look like that!"

19. We had our local St. Patrick's Day parade yesterday. Went out with the local Mopar club, in which there were fourteen vehicles total present. My son and I were in my '66 Coronet, and my wife had her PT ragtop. Had a great time! Lots of positive comments all along the parade route, which was almost a mile. I do not get the '66 out nearly enough, and yesterday felt great!

My '41, being green and all, would've been great to run in the parade, but it is not terribly parade-friendly. Did one in it last year, and got all kinds of thumbs-up and great comments...until the choke stuck!

20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I miss the attention I get in the summer :(

21. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I had a guy a week or two ago ask me "What did you make that thing out of ?" I tried to explain that the body came from the factory exactly like you see it, just built on a Hot Rod frame. He just shook his head and walked away telling his buddy, "That guy has no idea what he's talking about, everybody knows they never made a drop top truck".... :rolleyes:

Mostly people are amazed. That's compliment enough for me on any of our cars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  22. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Everybody knows man.........:cool:

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

With the car on my Avatar the line I get is "Is this thing street legal?"

24. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Driving a Pink car gets me a lot of different comments. The best ones are from women. And I love women.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Compliments are always cool, but I dig the looks. Most adults (non-gear heads) seem to be trying to figure out what my car is, while the kids are pointing and smiling ear to ear. I think, in this age of video games and other crap, getting a cool response from a yougster is what really counts. Innocence does seem to get it.

26. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Awesome hell, thats my sister damn you.
    B.B.

27. kozik

kozik

older black dudes and bums of every stripe are super knowledgeably about my car. they always can rattle off entirely correct info. its amazing. cops and firemen seem to love it as well. they always wave. It also annoys the hell out of the uptight yuppie bitch next door...which is a bonus.

my best reaction by far was I was waiting for the tolls going westbound across
    the bay bridge and this older black guy just about had a fit, and motioned me to rev up the motor, so I opened my electric cutouts and gave a few blasts..guy gets out of his truck and starts dancing, right in the toll lanes laughing his ass off.

28. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

"My Dad used to have one just like that..."

"What year is it?"

"Is it fast?"

"I bet it's fast, huh?"

"You have any interest in selling it?"

What motor you have in it?"

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Threads about compliments.

30. grazy

grazy

I had a car full of you kids follow me in my lowered 62 Rambler American they were in a hopped up noisey import they finally got beside me and one of them hung out the window and read the chrome emblem and said no its not its American.