Register now to get rid of these ads!

Complaint and Warning about Howell's Sheet Metal in TX!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dubbzilla, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I talked to them at the Pre-war swap meet. I was wanting to get my rain gutters for the trunk. They said they had sold out. I was peeved. I was there on the first real day and they had already sold out.

So, he says, "I'll just ship you a set". I told him "No thanks." So he asked why and I told him. I told him that they had a terrible reputation for not shipping parts. He acted like I punched him in the nose. "We ship out over a hundred packages a day", he says. So I told him, "you must be shipping them to the wrong people then, because everyone I talk to has the same story". I just walked off. I still need a set of rain gutters.

2. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

I saw them at the swap meet too. Nice parts, but I was a bit creeped out when some guy came up behind me and told me how well the parts fit on 'his' truck, and that he used them all the time. Seemed odd that he would just walk up and volunteer that information. Until I saw him do it to 3 or 4 more people. It sure looked like he was working to help them make sales.

Btw, is there any way to have a thread like this time out if it doesn't have activity for a year?

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

It has been suggested that if you want Howells parts, buy them from another vendor, like Snyders.
    That way, you get it quick and if there is a problem, you are dealing with the nice guys at Snyders, not the poor-people-skills at Howells.

Usually I figure why buy poorly fitting patch panels when I can make poorly fitting patch panels.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think its a good thing to have this thread live Forever!..
    keeps more of us from getting sucked into waiting forever ...for our order, or for inferior parts

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

It would be good to have a sticky for Ford Obsolete (or whatever hes calling it now) in Oklahoma City for the same reason

6. Brewton

Brewton

I had problems with them with a roof insert for my coupe. It took FOREVER! Same run around "it will be ready by the end of the week..... we are shipping it tomorrow...etc.".
    And when I finally got it.... they had the wrong contour to the top, they rolled it side to side instead of front to back. It cause me a lot of extra work to make it fit.
    I should have bought the insert from Walden Speed Shop.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 66 Chevy nova 4dr roof was a perfect fit for my 31 Ford coupe

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Glad you are making progresss. If possible, please post a photo of the pieces when you receive them and before you install them. I would like to see what they look like. Thanks.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres one for the Aussies. NEVER order parts made by Old Tin!
    Took half a year, two goes at the same part and it was still WRONG!
    Ordered a body tub for a 28 RPU, was told that it will be exactly the same as stock only with two inches of depth added.
    After 4 months I got the tub, it would not sit flat on the ground. The back was so twisted that one side sat 12 inches higher than the other. The right was deepened by half an inch and the swage line around the top was different on all three panels.
    The curve in the sides didnt match the original doors.
    To get it fixed I had to let the word out to some influential rodders in Sydney at the time.
    He sent another one, it had the same problems though the twist was not as bad in the back.
    $800 and I had to settle for that.
    He has good original parts but what ever you do DONT but the stuff he has made up!
    Doc.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, let it live forever...

11. mow too much

mow too much

I bought the panels that feel the gap below the bed on 35-37 P.U. at Pate last year nice parts, but didn't have them shipped they had them there............

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

10/16/07 I wonder if he has got the parts yet?

13. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Sorry,but every time I saw one of you post that,the damn them song from "Fame" would pop in my head.Damn late work nights

14. I guess I have to apologize, this thread is super old!

I got so fed up talking about it...it made me more frustrated talking about it or seeing what people had to say about it...especially if they didn't agree with me! hahah

The panels did show up eventually, and of course they looked like the guy on the other end didn't care what they looked like. I'm sure it's because of the bad conversations we had over the phone. The panels do fit ok, but the bead lines are crooked and from the door trim up, the panels are a little wavy. It's all fixable I guess?? I'm no body guy so I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it.

I did mock up the body with the panels on....with everything held together with clamps and vice grips....they're not on the truck now because i'm still finishing off the framework for the subfloor and door posts before I attach the panels for good.

I will post some pictures of my progress soon...after over 100 posts I guess it's time to be judged on my work!! (nervous) hahah

Thanks again for all your support guys!

HAMB is the best

15. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

My experience with Howell's is not entirely bad, and not entirely good. I have oreder a few patches for my 27 T coupe and they never fit great. That being said, it is usually easier to make their panels work than it is to start off with a new piece of sheet. The cowl patches I order were about a 1/4" short. The door panels are not entirely square. I am not sure about the decklid skin yet. It is a catch 22. You know they wont fit perfect when you get them but you dont want to start from scratch.

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

These type of guys usually succeed in spite of themselves. Bad businessmen. But there is another guy right behind you wanting the same part.

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Try Wolfs steel Look it up on your computer. C anada location and one in the states. Dont know about customer service.I didn't have any problems.

18. Lono

Lono

Guess this is an old thread but I thought I'd post on it anyway.

I just handed in an order worth over $1700 and before doing so I had a good talk with Ryan in regards to "things" I've read about their reputation.

He agreed that there has been issues and they're working hard to overcome them.

When I placed my order last week, they were short one item so I told them to hold the order until the item was available. The Ryan said it would be thursday last week.

On Monday November 2nd I contacted them and the remaining part was ready to ship so I approved the order, gave the shipping info and CC number. I was assured the order would ship the following day November 3rd and a tracking number and invoice would be emailed.

It's now November 5th and I havent received the tracking information and I'm awaiting a call back from Ryan. I know we all get behind so I dont feel panic... quite yet.

I'll add to this thread as things develop. I believe in the positive. I'll keep ya'll posted.

19. no55mad

no55mad

I just heard a complaint today about Howells and Mdl A floorboards - waiting forever for shipment.

20. plan9

plan9

im not sure why the hell anyone would do business with them after continuous lip service and false delivery dates. there is a line to be drawn when it comes to affordability vs. reliability.

Lono - why would your situation be any different? yes people get in over their heads, second chances are fine.... although I have read and heard more than a few times this has been going on since the beginning.
    if it doesn't pan out for you i cant say there will be much sympathy from me...even after the bad press Howell's has gotten, you choose to do business with them? thats crazy.... might as well take that $1700 and hit the craps table.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

its because they are the ONLY ones making these parts

22. plan9

plan9

so what? does that justify giving these fools business?

T and A panels are NOT complex.... Howell's panels require fitting, (like any other patch panel) so you will be cutting, bending and grinding regardless.

but hey... i dont care what the next guy does.... just questioning skewed logic. true story.

23. Anderson

Anderson

At the shop where I work, we ordered some '38/'39 Ford truck running boards. I warned them against Howell's because of this post....

However, while they didn't actually ship on the day we were told, they did arrive in a very timely manner and are good parts.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are preaching to the choir
    See my previous post---> Usually I figure why buy poorly fitting patch panels when I can make poorly fitting patch panels. <!-- / message -->

25. flatford39

flatford39

I bought some stuff from him about 2 months ago that I thought due to his reputation would show up in about 4 weeks. It took him over eight weeks and it was the same old stuff. He used every excuse he had from it's in shipping and will go out tomorrow (that was after a month) to parts are backordered and then out of the blue you will get a shipping notice via email. He works at his own pace and has no problem lying to you as to when your going to get it. It is very frustrating.

On the other hand, the quality of what I ordered was top notch & I am very grateful for that.

I have heard that he sells thru a store on Ebay and that stuff seems to go out faster than the orders he gets from his online catalogue. At least with Ebay and Paypal you have a little leverage to move him along.

Would I buy again. Yes I would. The price is more than fair and I was pleased with the end product. You are just going to have to wait for it so order early.

26. Lono

Lono

Wont be looking for sympathy dude, that's why I have purchase protection on my CC. Interesting thing is I stumbled onto this thread after placing my order. I just though that I'd post to it and update it as to my experience good or bad. I thought maybe a fresh experience might cast light on how things are going down there positive or not.

After all, Good old boys from Texas don't rip guys off do they?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  27. RAY With

RAY With

As a rule Texas vendors are hard working honest guys but on rare occasion you can get an asshole. Usually if you have the address and name a local will go by and check it out for you and that will bring things to a head fast.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No, but the transplants from outside the border will! :eek: :D

29. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey DUBB...can you do that, complain on h.a.m.b. because we got the same kind of run-a-round treatment like that, O a certain paint and body shop here clost to us here in waxahachie tx. which i wont mention( MASTER CRAFTERS ) I think that would just be wrong(MASTER CRAFTERS) call me POP...or the old FART!

30. oj

oj

Seems like he could use some competition, plenty of talented people here on the hamb. Many are out of work and highly skilled. Maybe this is your calling, the market obviously is there.