Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hey rich, from november pic, al bergler did race a crosley,it was one of his first cars,there is a pic of it on here. its very small. you have to click on it to really see it.

2. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

I'd put one on mine if I could find a good one. I have an opportunity to get a fiberglass 32 body that's cracked. HHMMMMMMMmmmm these make me think harder. Ha!

3. Here's mine. It's got an inline Jimmy 6 with a 12 Port Horning head and Hilborns.

[​IMG]

4. Eddie "parachute" Potter was the term used by the announcer on a typical Saturday night venture to Lions Drag Strip back in 1965. If you study the wrecked photos you will notice that you are looking at two different cars that he destroyed. Different tanks, one square the other a moon , one set of spoked wheels still intact the other pretty much busted out. Still he was part of the appeal to many of us that were fortunate to have lived and enjoyed the experience back when we had true character racers.

5. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Here's a couple of photos of one of our new projects.....The chassis is a Don Long 67 vintage that we found in a barn in Indiana. The body is a Mike Guffey product. We choose Mike's body because it had the stance and body line we were looking for. Plans are to extend the cowl to the mid plate, fill in the rear wheel wells and widen her approx 12 inches.

[​IMG]

Here it after being cut in two. This was during the mock up phase, I'll post more as I go along.

[​IMG]

Here's the body being glassed back together, this was done about six hours ago...

[​IMG]

6. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

A couple more of work in progress pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

A couple of the "crew" without them, the garage is empty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Did I miss it? Where's pics of the baddest of the bad FUEL Coupes?
    Mooneyham and Sharp
    and the
    15oz. Coupe

9. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

One of the 15oz. coupe...
    ...and from the '61 Nationals in Indy...
    Ray Bowers' '36 Bantam with a Potvin-blown Olds and Larry Petit's injected Hemi Renault

Attached Files:

10. For the record, the Larry Petit car is an Italian Vespa body, but that a great shot of 2 of the better cars in the class.

11. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Thanks for the correction Rich...Hot Rod Magazine refered to it as a Renault...now that you've mentioned it, I recognize that Vespa shape...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  12. Just got back from our trip to PA for some flea market time at Carlisle and a visit to Kowalski Customs in Reading to check out the progress on my A/Comp Fiat, Pinocchio. There are a couple little details to complete, and the yellow is only the color primer coat, but it looks damn good to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  13. Brit digger

Brit digger

there are a few cars being built here in britain too.

this is the first one completed............................

Sid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  14. MORE! Please?

15. yekoms

yekoms

Cool thread...
    Smokey

16. Love to see more pictures of this dragster!

17. Brit digger

Brit digger

there you go.

Sid.

Attached Files:

18. kanzapanzer

kanzapanzer
    from kansas

Anybody got any pictures of Paul Stage's comp roadster?

19. tomjac

tomjac

I too would be interesting in seeing (buying?) a copy of that film too (see below).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  20. tomjac

tomjac

These cars really grab me and I've been trying to figure out why. I now get it...there are two things:
    1. To quote Indian Larry..."I like the mechanical-ness" of them (they are simple and raw) and
    2. These are the ultimate in chopped & channeled coupes!!!.

Keep those pics coming.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i need as much/as many pictures and info as humanly (or superhumanly) possible on the subject of competition coupes; i would say that aside from funnycars and altereds, competition coupes are my favorite drag machinery. Correction, competition coupes ARE my favorite drag machinery period.

a) Why do think/feel that this class was eliminated? i don't think safety was nessesarily an issue (which was supposedly why altereds were eliminated but i don't buy it because funnycars used the same chassis more or less, but that's another story) because it appears that most competition coupes were using the same, more or less, chassis as a dragster of that era. Could it be (as in the same case as the altereds) that the bodys being utilized were basically "old" and not current and thus NHRA in their usual money-grubbing ways felt that it wouldn't be attractive to the average/casual fan---they wouldn't "get it." And therefore these cars couldn't bring money(sponsorship) in?

Please definitely keep the thread going.

Thanks in advance.

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

A few to look at ........

Attached Files:

23. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Not near as impressive as the rest of the cars on this thread but
    it was good enough for 3rd in the comp coupe and sedan class
    at Bonneville in 1954.

Attached Files:

24. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

Does anybody have a pic of Nitro Neil's dragster with the Plymouth coupe body. Saw him blow up at Fomoso about 10 yr ago at the reunion. Wonder what ever happened to that car.

25. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

I used to live in Maderia as a young teen. I remember Norm,s (drink) vending machine well.

26. brandon

brandon

one year at indy gg's , he broke the front axle and fixed it with a jack handle.....:eek: went out and ran something in 6's or so....??

27. He tells me it still sits in his garage, next to a 32 I sold him a few months ago

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

In the meantime, here's one i got/stole off the web:

[​IMG]

29. tomjac

tomjac

Does anyone have a good picture of the car pictured below? Freeman-Martinez coupe circa 1961. This pic came from a lousy copy of Drag News (Jan 1961).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  30. tikimunki

tikimunki
    from england

this is Gina Rumble and Scottie Durrant'S new Austin Ruby Competition couple , in England

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.