Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm thinking of turning my HAMB Gas Rail (HA/GR) chassis into a Comp Coupe.

2. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Here is an interesting one. Pork Zartman (driver of the "Filthy Forty" Willys gasser, subject of another thread on here) drove this car to a Drag News 1320 National Record and also won the World Series of Drag Racing, Cordova, Ill. in 1960.

Pork and his partner Larry Roberts then sold the car to George Weiler in Pa. who won the NHRA NATIONALS with it a year or two later.

[​IMG]

3. Now that's a neat piece of racing history. I can remember George running both comp and dragster class at the same events. The body came off in about a New York second for the class change.

4. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

this is a great thread!

Attached Files:

5. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

I don't know whats cooler, the car or the name Pork Zartman!

6. Sass

Sass

I saw this car in a Rod and Customs I think it was late 60's early 70's I was looking for the mag the other day. I had it set aside, and must have misplaced it. I would love to find some pictures of it, thought it would be neat to build one similar to it.

7. speedsports

speedsports
    from IL

When I was 11 or 12 I stood at the starting line at the World Series of Drag Racing and watched the Leffler/Loukas AA/FC race the Speedsport Roadster. Right there I fell in love with FCs and when I started racing I named my team SpeedSport. ( vinage sports car racing, wife would not let me own a jr fueler )

I have searched the web for pictures of FCs for years to down load them. Last week on the 12 page of my search I found this thread. Man I felt like I had struck gold. :D

I need some help searching for an FC. Back in the 50's Rod and Custom was a pocket size magazine. During that time the had an article of the build of an FC. Does any one know the name of that car or can help me with the research in finding that magazine. That is assuming some of you are as old as I am :)

Speedsports

8. Back to the top. Hate to see this one die!

9. Couple more

Attached Files:

10. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

This is Ernie Long's car, I talk to he at least three times a week. He's the guy that did the tin work on the Hollish Bros. Bantam when they built it in 1959. If you read the cowl it say's "And 1 Hollish Bros".

Attached Files:

11. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Another shot of "SAY MAN" 1963 Notice that bad ass chop job, The chop and cowl was built by Ernie Long and Dale Hartong.

Attached Files:

12. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

13. Sass

Sass

14. dudley32

dudley32

please... post some more ...this thread is great...

15. chris gerber

chris gerber
    from N.E. Ohio

Here is our Comp Coupe. My dad loved them, I was too young to see them, so we built one. Dad passed away before we got it done, but his last trip was to Guffey's to pick up the body. It was a very fitting last ride for my dad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  16. Church Key

Church Key

The 2 black & whites of the same car are from Connecticut Dragway.

Those two B/W photos are from New England Dragway. 2nd row 1st pic........ 1320 Engineering special near lane, Marty Schwartz driving. Far lane John Watson's Fiat B/C with Don Roberts driving. 2nd row 3rd picture Watson's B/C near lane, far lane Bernier & Bacon low buck fueler, Roger Bacon driving.

17. And he will ride with you on every pass down the strip.

18. Before you all think "Say Man" is just another Fiat, let me put the record straight. The body of this little beauty is either a 1959 or 1960 VESPA 400. Only imported for 2 years, and finding very little in the way of sales, this may be the only drag car built from the little cousin of the Topolino.

19. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is my Fiat at New England Dragway 2007 doing a little balancing act on one wheel
    Jack Brady AKA Church Key

20. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

sorry double post..!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  21. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Hi Jack...! Nice launch! Looks like you guys are having fun..

Rocky

22. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Hi Chris,

I'm glad you and your Dad were able to build your coupe together. Before my Dad passed away, we built the Big Time Memories Willys together. Its a project I'll never forget. I know you miss your Dad as much as I miss mine.

Rocky

23. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Ever since my younger daze reading Drag CarToons I thought the Pete Millars Chicken Coupe was the koolest! I love my MoPars, but I still like that Ford powered coupe! If it is not stepping on anyones toes, here is my favorite issue of Drag CarToons:

[​IMG]

Inside this issue is this ad:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have a copy of that movie?

More pics of this kool koupe would be greatly appreciated!

Marty

24. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Here's what I have......I got the chance to meet Pete while being a member of the Std. 1320, he was one of the goodguys.....rip Pete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

WOW! Thanks for the pics!! I never saw it painted blue!

Marty

26. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

This car was BAD ASS....!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Sudden Death......for the car, not driver, he walked away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Those are great shots Rocky. Thanks for posting them. Over on WDIFL, Ewald said Eddie Potter walked away from the wreck and drag racing to become a pro golfer!
    Potter is given credit for building both his and Pete's Fiat bodies from steel cars. Guess that's why they have such a similar look. My car is being built in that style as a tribute to both men.

29. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

OK, totally uninformed question time.

I noticed on one version of the Chicken Coupe and on the Sudden Death Coupe the headers are pointed into the body. Why?

Thanks,
    Marty