Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. A batch of coupes and a lonely sedan.
    Coburn Glaze #5 now with a Fiat rather than the Meserschmidt.
    The next 3 are of a Bantam built in Kansas City by Dave Stuckey.
    The next 3 are the Lickliter Bros from Staunton, VA.
    Not sure who the #160 red Bantam is.
    The last sedan is also a mystery. Driver under the '40 hood, motor in the front seat. Does anyone have more info on this wild sedan?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. brandon

brandon

finally a couple good shots of this car....my buddy has a body that is REAL close to this , possibly made off of a mold of this body with a few changes.... still looking for more info on it and its southern ohio roots.....:D

Attached Files:

3. Just a gaggle of roadsters starting with Nancy's 22jr.
    Next Gary Cagle at the end of a less than perfect run at Lions.
    Third is George Cerney with a pretty red wedge nosed '27.
    The wild roadster liner was owned by the Hatfiled Brothers. Story is they ran is once or twice to shake it out before painting, but crashed it and never rebuilt. What a great experiment in aerodynamics.
    No info on the '27 with a Potvin blown Olds.
    Another shot of Tony Waters '23 with a new paint job and a helper removing the push bar. Gotta save weight!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. Here's a few leftover from Sunday.
    The orange Bantam shot at Englishtown was owned by Ed Moses from NJ.
    A pretty wild shot of Flamin' Frank
    Very similar to the Fox-Holding roadster, this is Al Bergler in the Gratiot Auto sponsored car.
    An unusual configuration sponsored be The Chrome House in CA would be right at home in the new SCTA Modified Roadster class at Bonneville.
    On of the last shots of Larry Dixon, Sr in the Fireside Inn roadster warming up in the pits without it's nose tin. The following year he would move into a Top Fuel car.
    Another pair of Jersey brothers, the Molinaro's.
    Tony Nancy's 22jr at the Winternationals.
    The classic ribbon chute at Pamona.
    Jerry Card's Fiat has the same profile as my new project, but I'm not into the silver, I'll leave that for Rick's Silver Bullet roadster
    Another shot of The Animal by Stuckey.
    Al Berglers roadster in 2 colors...I like them both.
    Two shots of the California based Clarkson & Ledbetter injected Hemi '23.
    The last of a neat '27 was just taken at a Phoenix Nostalgia meet. Owner listed as Ron Williams.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  5. Monday morning and time for some recent photos from west coast events

Attached Files:

7. I can't really answer that Dean. Remember I'm just an old east coast fiberglass Fiat guy. The only German cars I owned were V-Dubs.

8. blackout

blackout

This is the most comphrensive collection I've ever seen. German cars, wasnt there one built with an Isseta body? Let's see it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. This video has been posted before. The car that got me thinking real hard about a build is the Yellow Comp Coupe, with a blown Hemi in the right lane at 1:35 into the video.

I love that body!

Even the tires are enclosed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4Aj4tbf50

11. This group starts with a very cool Canadian roadster currently being restored by HAMB member Rick Proctor.
    A rear shot of the very well built Bantam #160.
    Once NHRA combined the 2 classes in '63, a shot like this was normal.
    Jim Fox and Dennis Holding ran this classic rear engine '27 before they formed the Frantic 4. Also a side view of #212 to the right.
    The injected '23 was campaigned by the Travel-On Car Club.
    The blue '27 is a recently restored modified built along the style of the Tenn. Bo Weevil cars.\
    Cornett & Wein's #777 is lettered as the worlds fastest roadster, but for the life of me I can't find the roadster part of the body. Might this be yet another Messerschmidt body?
    Twins in the Modified Roadster class were pretty rare. This is Bill Edwards '23out of Washington State.
    Truly one of a kind, a Comp Woody Wagon called Lick'm Stick'm,built by Norm Reis out of Cincinnati, Ohio. Can eastcoast57 add any history on this second Reis car?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  12. Hi Rich;
    I have this picture among others that Chrysler archives had..The driver is Tom Johnson ,and driving the Pontiac wagon is Stan Johnson,and Tom's kids are in the car..Likely atound 66 or 67..
    The car also ran at the U S Nationals..top speed was 166.00. Not bad for a little 273 cu. Dodge...

Thanks for the pic.

1939fiat
    Rick

13. Some early Thanksgiving treats.
    Walt Austin tried to mix a digger chassis with a Funny Car body. Didn't work any better than the Garlits car.
    I just can't get enough of the Custom Auto Parts Fiat. Word on the street is that the chassis survived, but without the nifty steel Fiat coupe. Bummer! This shot looks to be at York US 30.
    The Wier & Jennings car looks a lot like what my Fiat will be when completed.
    2 versions of the Willie Coburn #5 Fiat. Looks like the wheelbase and nose just keeps growing.
    Bennie Osborn's Oklahoma based twin from 1961.
    A 1966 shot of Al Berglers Bantam coupe at Bristol.
    Chuck Bayuk in a silver '23 with matching fire suite.
    Jerry Goddard's '23 Pickup from Washington State.
    Gary Cochran gettin' busy at Lions in 1966.
    Canadians Dawson & Doans from Alberta with an early 1961 home built '23 roadster.
    2 shots of the Cornett & Wein mystery (Messerschmidt?) roadster from separate events.

Attached Files:

14. And the 354 in the roadster was the same one that carried Stormin' Norman to many wins over larger 392's and 454's.

15. Rich, that is definately a "topless" Messerschmidt.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. Don't know if it ran Comp Coupe or Altered, but I love the Batto Crosley! So glad it's been restored, and is still racing. I't's got A/A on it, but that set back is a loooooong 25%.

Attached Files:

17. Thanks for the input and comments Dean. I've been wondering if anyone is still watching this thread. Before I started digging, I never thought I'd find this many.

18. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Easy Chuck, we are moving as fast as Todd's wallet will allow. Here are some progress pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Any pictures of the body?

20. Truly one of a kind, a Comp Woody Wagon called Lick'm Stick'm,built by Norm Reis out of Cincinnati, Ohio. Can eastcoast57 add any history on this second Reis car?[/quote]

same Logghe chassis set up he ran from the beggining...had the t roadster body...I seem to remember a local fiberglass joint doing the mold along with some homemade touches...ill get ahold of glenn and get the straight story and get some pictures of some pieces of that car that we still have...

T. Hilton

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

Could someone post the original NHRA rules for Comp Coupe?

22. I remember in the 60's at the dragstrip in Piquay, Ohio, a guy ran a cut down Nash Metropolitan on a rail chassis. It sat off the road in a field for many years near Piquay. As I remember??? it was green and white. Anybody know where this car may have went?
    HG

23. Sorry, my oldest rule book is 1979, and by then the class had been put out to pasture. As you can tell from the photos, most cars were front engine rails with the smallest chunk of a car body stuck on the tail end. The front body work was not required, but most builders added something in front of the engine. I don't believe there were many specs for the bodies, other than it had to actually have started out as a real car or fiberglass replica of same.
    I don't recall more than 3 classes (AA, A, B) based on the typical NHRA pound per cubic inch splits.

24. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

NHRA 1956

VII. COMPETITION COUPE / SEDAN (Fuel type optional)

1. There shall be three classes in this section, classified according to total car weight divided by total cubic inches engine displacement.

Designation: A/C, B/C or C/C, preceded by car number.

Class 'A' 0 to 6.5 pounds per cubic inch
    Class 'B' 6.6 to 8.5 pounds per cubic inch
    Class 'C' 8.6 and up pounds per cubic inch

2. Must have a coupe or sedan body produced by an automobile manufacturer. Top may be chopped, but a minimum of five inches of vertical windshield height must be maintained. Body may be channeled not to exceed six inches. No sectioning will be allowed. Body must not otherwise be altered in height, width, length or contour.

3. Streamlining may be added ahead of the rear of front cowl, and to the underside of the chassis. No fenders will be allowed.

4. Interior may be gutted. No upholstery required.

5. Engine may be in any location. Transmission not required. Quick-change and/or locked rear ends are permissible.

6. Cars equipped with superchargers will be advanced into the next higher class or division of competition.

7. Cars on the borderline of complying with rules of this section may be advanced into a higher class at discretion of the Technical Committee.

source: reprinted in 'Best Hot Rods' #2 by Eugene Jaderquist
    CC

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

25. How cool is that?

26. OK boys and girls, now that you all have lots of photos, and what the original rules were, who's gunna put one together so those of us who will be on the track in '09 will have some cool competition?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  27. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

The body is still a stocker, a project for later this winter.

[​IMG]

28. How much of the original car is left?

29. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Just the engine.