Register now to get rid of these ads!

Comments, opinions, suggestions.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Im going to check out and possibly pick up a 1950 dodge wayfarer 2 door sedan for less than 500 bucks.... The exterior is what I consider perfect desert burn "patina".... The downside, is that its got no seats and its got some rot on the floorboards and trunk, no visible rot on the body whatsoever... the rot is all flat stuff so it should be fairly easy to replace... What do ya all think??? Im really leaning towards a gasser if I get it....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If it has a good title, worth that.

3. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

i think it would make a sweet kustom. If you're going to be fixing rust, my bet is you won't be a straight-edger anymore by the time you're done. But do it anyway it'll be cool.

4. For $500 its a no brainer.........

5. Now see, he said he did a title search in oregon and cali and nothing came up, but hes got alot of title related paperwork that he'll show me tommorrow..... so in short, no title... but 2 to 300 bones sounds reasonable to me....

6. dannyego

dannyego

had one, its a heavy ass car. Your gonna want to replace as much of it with fiberglass as you can if your going to make a gasser out of it. Good luck finding parts for it. They are super hard to find. I sold some extra armrest I hard for it that where beat for $300. dont want to talk you out of it but $500 can turn into not such a deal when you have to do a ton of work.

7. I see what you mean danny, but i figure that if its really bare inside Im not gonna worry about having the exact interior pieces ya know what I mean.... fix the rust, put in a seat get it driving and run the crap outa it.

8. You could turn that 'pricey parts' into a positive and strip that sucker of all the parts you wont need and sell them to fund some speed bits.....................arm rest's, you dont need no stinkin arm rests :)

9. Oh so true!!! Spoken like a true hot rodder!!!!

10. Heres another question, Im fairly sure the car has the stock motor and trans... I want something I can cruise around town in so I want an auto trans. Are there any adaptors to bolt the stock motor to a more convenient trans???? And if it comes down to it, which I bet it will, who makes motor mounts that would work if I wanna put a mopar small block in it???

11. Heres mine, I chose to go with the custom. The SBF and Maveric rear end fit well, I also used the slave cylender power steering and linkage from a 67 Mustang.

12. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

nice find, i just can't see that big girl being much of a gasser....But i don't know enough for my opinion to really matter. Nice car though

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

$500 turns into alot of money when all it needs is everything. Good luck if you pick it up and take pics for us guys (and gals) on the HAMB.

14. I guess gasser was the wrong term to use since it gets the critics out.... completely forget that I said gasser okay!!

And to top it all off, this car has all of its glass and stainless trim... actually its not missing a damn thing on the exterior... which is more than the last car I was interested in and the last guy wanted $1500!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  15. sonim38

sonim38

i had a 51 plymouth bus coupe with a 318 poly and torqueflite behind it. satin black with with flames. car was real fun.

16. sonim, what did it take to get that 318 and tf into it??? Call me a FNG if you must, but what are yu guys doing for crossmembers and motormounts for cars that have no aftermarket support???

17. is a done deal, the dodge comes home tomorrow morning.... for a grand total of 300 bucks.... Has some rust in the floor boards but the frame is perfect. Its been parked since 56 so im sure the motor is gonna look cherry inside.... so does anyone know what/if any full automatic trans' will bolt up to the flat 6??

18. dannyego

dannyego

mine was clipped with a monte carlo front end. Im sure you could use a hurst style motormount to throw a different motor in there. I had a ten bolt in mine as well, Fit well.

19. I dont wanna clip it or anything drastic like that.... if I could bolt up a auto straight to the flat six Id do that cuz their great little motors...

20. I found a place with trans adaptors for just about everything.... wilcap.com... a little pricy but noone else has em.

21. i doubt your gonna want to put an auto behind the flat six. it's pretty sluggish as is. i have a 51 plymouth 2-door hardtop that i put a sbc chevy. shadowkustoms put a mopar in his look him up on here. it's a pretty easy swap.

22. I think the car has fluid drive, a torque converter between the clutch and engine. you should be able to treat the trans like an automatic in second and third gear.

23. The Plymouth from before fell through, the guy wouldnt budge on price, and it needed more work than this... I dont doubt that the swap is easy but Im not much of a welder (motor mounts)... but i would already hafta figure out a cross member and close up the floor.... sluggish??? Im not building a race car or anything....

24. George

George

73RR here is QEC, they have adaptor for flat 6 to A/T. It shouldn't be difficult to get motor mounts for either 318, try Mr. Street Rod, & tranny mount/cross over is easy to make.

25. well I got her home this morning.... Ive got 1 question, is the interior panel above the windshield that the visors bolt to structural/necessary??? Mines rotted pretty bad... could I cut it out and leave that panel off???

26. oh and I forgot to tell you guys, he even through in one of those elusive sets of perfect original arm rests!!!! lmao, he even made it a point to tell me that they are harder than shit to find :D

27. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Hell yes buy it!
    I'd be all over that stuff.

1shot

28. Its already in my garage!!!

29. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Fuckin A right bubba! =)

30. So I went to a swap meet today to look for some goodies. My dad and I ran into one of his buddies and we got to talking about my dodge. My dads buddy starts talking about a guy with a 77 cordoba with a running 318 with a torqueflight and rear that he wants to get rid of... I thought nothing of it and we parted ways, I get home and I get a phone call, my dad was telling me that his friend stopped bt and told him that we could have the cordoba fo a grand total of... wait for it... wait for it.... $20 BUCKS!!! Yes, thats two-zero! We immediately went and drug the bitch out of there, corinthian leather and all :D