Register now to get rid of these ads!

Column shift tech.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's my "value oriented" alternative to the Lokar column shift linkage kit.
    All you need is a couple linkage ends from your local auto parts place, a piece of 3/8" fuel line, a couple 2" fine thread bolts and a bit of steel.
    The first part to figure out was the arm that bolted to my turbo 350. I used the stock "U" shaped piece of linkage that was on it. Cut off the one end. For the slotted end a 49 Olds generator bracket gave up it's life.
    The time consuming part is figuring out the lenght of the shift rod and the position along the slotted end.
    I took the fuel line and guestimated the lenght, and ovaled the ends slightly. Cut the ends off of the bolts and tap them into the tube. The ovaled ends hold the bolts tight enough to allow you run the shifter though the gears but allow you to make adjustments as required.
    Once I had that figured out I welded the bolts to the tube.
    It would have been easier just to use a piece of threaded rod but I didn't want it to look like a Massey Ferguson.
    I took a couple hours but it only cost me 12 bucks.

Attached Files:

2. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's how it looks hooked up to the 49 Olds steering column.
    The next step is to figure out a reverse lock out, and make myself a new PRNDL face instead of the Hydro pattern

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    a piece of 3/8" fuel line

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good & simple! Only concern is the fuel line - are you sure it's strong enough? I think it's fine in tension, but compression would be my worry - maybe I worry about things like this too much? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. looks fine , DO put a reverse lockout on it...and you also need a neutral safety switch,,lokar makes one that bolts to the transmission..you can see how it looks in their catalog and copy it

5. Rocket88

Rocket88

I think it should be fine.
    I actually got the idea from the Olds itself, most of the linkage on the Hydro is constructed that way.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You're prolly right & it'll prolly be OK. I guess it is a pretty short section...I tend to over-engineer stuff sometimes [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hey this is tech week right?
    Bttt

8. Welcome to tech week...!

Could have used this post last week on ruttencutter's car... [​IMG]! [​IMG]

Thanks...

9. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I was thinking about trying something like this to use the stock 3 speed column shift in my '50 chevy to shift the auto tranny i'm puttin in. I'm planning on a 4sp later the auto is what I have. Has anyone done this before. I realize I'll need weld it up to stop the front to back movement. Any ideas?

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I like it. One thing that came to mind though, instead of using threaded rod, or your fuel line, you could have taken a piece of solid rod and threaded the ends with a dye.

11. good thinking, I know this is gonna come in handy.

God I love the H.A.M.B [​IMG]