Register now to get rid of these ads!

Columbus, Ohio???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Killer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Killer

Killer

who's from around there??

we'll be moving to the area next summer. The oldest is attending OSU now and the boy has been accepted to Ashland University...

Mama can't stand the thought of being that far from her babies!

How's the hot rod scene? Anyone need anything welded?!?!!!:D

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Sweet that means you will be closer to me and I can come pick up one of your awesome frames!
    You'll find Ohio has a great car scene. There are quite a few traditional guys in the Columbus/Dayton/Cinci area. LOTS of HAMBers down that way.
    I live north of there near Canton, a couple hour drive.

Are you prepared to bleed scarlet and gray? OSU is pretty big here. I don't even like football and I'm a Buckeyes fan! Ashland at one time had the best campus food in the nation, not sure if that record still holds or not...

PS- we could just swap houses ;) :D

3. jonny o

jonny o

Not a bad scene down there...
    Never lived that far south, but have spent a lot of time down there.

Uh oh, from SoCal... Be ready for cold, snow, rain, slush, sleet, shit.

Look up Hounddogs Pizza on High ASAP!

4. mikew

mikew

Welcome to the area. I'm about 2 hours north near Akron...

Take some pictures of the sunshine before you leave So-cal. The sun is shining here for the first time today in about 2 weeks.

The say that if you don't like the weather in ohio, just wait 10 minutes, it's due to change.

Maybe I'll be ready for an A-frame by the time you get set-up...

Mike
    Mogadore, Ohio

5. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

I'm actually in Cinci now, but lived in Columbus for 10 years, came from Moreno Valley. (Originally from Lakewood, CA.)

As mentioned above, get ready for snow, cold, snow, sleet, snow, colder, snow, hail, even colder, and some snow thrown in.

Depending on your interest, lots of car stuff going on at National Trails Raceway, just east of Columbus (Mopar Nat's are there), JEGS and Summit Racing are Ohio homegrown. Street Rod Nat's are in Louisville, about 2-3 hours, so very do-able. Goodguys in July is always good and I know the HAMB'ers have a get together there every year. There is an all Ford swap meet at the fairgrounds too.

Good luck on the move!

51FourDoor

6. Graham08

Graham08

Hi!

Welcome to the area. I just moved from Ashland to the Akron area to be closer to work. My fiance coached softball at Ashland until a couple months ago. The food at AU is OUTSTANDING! Also, if you're in the Ashland area, you're only about 1/2 hour from Norwalk, home of the NHRA nationals, Blue Suede Cruise, Halloween Classic, and a bunch of other drag races.

There are also a number of dirt and asphalt oval tracks in within an hour or so. Attica runs 410 wing sprints on Fridays, and Fremont runs them on Saturdays...both are really cool fairgrounds dirt tracks. Sandusky, Mansfield, Lorain County, and Toledo are all reasonably close if you like asphalt.

My small house with 32x48 heated shop is also for sale if you're looking...only about 20 minutes from AU!:)

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You are certainly in for a culture shock.:D

You might not be here by then BUT the Hot rod Cinematic is not too far from Columbus. It's held the last weekend of June. GG Columbus show is the 2nd weekend of July.

See ya around this summer I'm sure.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No problems meeting your hotrod fetish in this area.
    Culture shock is an understatement. :)
    Before jumping into any neighbor be sure to talk to the guys directly in that area. Good luck Sounds like Dads missing them too. :)

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Welcome to Buckeye land!! I'm about 20 miles north of Ashland. More than welcome to come by and check out our projects anytime! From ashland, you're only 20 minutes away from historic Dragway 42, home of the Rock n' Race. Cleveland's not too far either for that matter, or Norwalk Raceway (now Summit Motorsports Park...always Norwalk to me) as mentioned.

I know a lot of guys from Columbus very well. Former Drifters car club, now called the Head Hunters. The Road Devils have a chapter there as well. Both clubs put on great shows throughout the summer. Quite a few from each club here on the hamb. Ohio rocks!
    -ace

10. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

10-4 on the climate change.:eek: It can be real stupid.
    I reside on the south side & have to say it's not a real bad place to live. Cost of living will be far less than Calif. but payscale may be too.
    Lots of stuff to see & do within 2 hr. drive in any direction. Jegs has 3 stores here in town.Rahal/Letterman racing is on the west side. Cars & Parts swap in Springfield 3 times a year. Ashland is home to Torque Inc. if you like massive cid Caddies. & BLAH,BLAH,BLAH.
    Let me know when you land & we'll tear up the town.
    Al:cool:

11. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

BOY oh BOY....leaving the warmth of SoCla for our fridget weather!!!! LOL....welcome to Ohio

12. monsterflake

monsterflake

everything cool comes from ohio, and scott sullivan is still the king...

13. Killer

Killer

scott sullivan... is that dude still around? I still like that Orange 55...

the weather isn't that much different from here.. I live in the desert so it gets pretty damn cold.... at night! I'll have to get used to the cold staying around all day!

My sister and bro in law live in Powell.... sounds like my folks will be making the move out that way also... so that makes it easier!

we're stoked.... the change is going to be nice.

14. Thats what I was thinking! Good luck on the move.

15. jonny o

jonny o

That's better then. Just invest in a good pair of longjohns.

Your ride is going to go through batteries and you are going to have to make sure you keep the antifreeze level up in the coolant. Keep the salt off it and make sure your multigrade is right for the cold, and you are good to go!

From what I have gathered so far, us Ohioan Hambers are pretty spread apart, but keep us in mind if you need something.

16. speed-kings

speed-kings

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Welcome to Ohio. Im about 2 hours North of Columbus and 1 hour East of Ashland. Lots of good car stuff going on. Chris
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. rustybucket

rustybucket

18. They get this white stuff that falls from the sky there during the winter... like, a lot of it.

Other than that, you should do alright.

Sam.

19. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

BAHAHAHA!
    "at night"? It gets pretty damn cold here from November til May. Other than that, it's just dreary and rainy alot! :eek:

20. jonny o

jonny o

Jesus, don't give the guy a heart attack. I'm still waiting to break it to him that he's going to have to have a well insulated work space unless he plans on not wrenching for 1/2 the year.

21. Plowboy

Plowboy

Sweet! I think you will find that there are plenty of shows here in the midwest that will strike your fancy.

22. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I live in IN pretty much on the border. If you're into the drive, there's always the Ducktail Run (AWESOME show) in Gas City, IN last weekend in Sept. Coupled along with the James Dean Run (which blew last year...quite frankly) in Fairmount, IN the same weekend. Good luck on the move...and get ready for COLD!:D;)

23. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I now live in NW OH but grew up in Columbus. My mon lives in the Hilliard area. Powell is big $$$$ but depending on how much you make off the sale of your hoise in CA you could probibl live mortgage free out here. If you don't mind living out a bit you could possibly find place with a little land and a big building. Have you looked around yet to know what area you want to live?

24. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I am a little further north but I left So Cal in 05', Yucca Valley to be exact. I love living here and wouldn't go back to that toilet bowl for any thing. Your gonna love it!

25. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

All this weather talk...here's my philosophy, some of of you may have this same thinking:

Ok, out west and down south you can drive all year round..pretty much. That's great, but what happens when you say "boy, i'd like to rebuild my engine". Think of all the shows and cruising your missing with down time! We don't have to worry, we have "rebuilding season" (a.k.a. winter) reserved for such things :). Makes all the cruising that much more enjoyable because we know in 4 months we'll be up to our ass in snow, or rain as it may be as of late :D

26. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

oh yeah, anyone knows driving from Ashland to Oberlin that state rt. 511 is straight as hell and no cops (usually)...so i've been told you can really haul ass on such straight roadways :)

27. de-fenders

de-fenders

Welcome to OHIO!!!! I'm an hour away from Columbus, lots of car action to be had around the area.:cool:

28. mtflat

mtflat

I have a brother who lives in/around Powell and a cousin I think still lives there. When I lived there in the 60's it was a sleepy little farm town that was famous/notorious only for it's speedway.

Last time I was thru there every building, including the house I lived in was an antique shop!! Lots of high end developments on the surrounding hills that serve as a bedroom community for Columbus proper.

All the best with your move.

29. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

The scene is srtong. As you can tell by all the replies. I don't think we have as many highbrow rodders as the west coast. Just a lot of wanna be Boyds. Traditional crowd is real cool and always willing to help out.

30. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Well first things first O-H-...

1. WATCH OUT FOR POTHOLES!!!! I am from cleveland and i didnt pick that name for fun its what you see alot of out here.

2. I hope your car is not too low cuz there are alot of uneven streets and you might end up, not having a front end. haha.

3. There is a good hot rod scene here but you just have to find the right people.

4. WEATHER

5. If you are at OSU or around there check out the Pita Pit... its amazing.

other than that welcome to ohio the birthplace of aviation.... haha