Register now to get rid of these ads!

coker classic 550x16 radial mounting advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom_lettering, Jun 25, 2010.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

i'm getting ready to mount my 550x16 whitewalls on 16x4 tubeless tire rims. i've read all the threads on here and there was one that corky coker agreed with someones post saying the reason for using tubes was because people are putting them on old tube type rims. but the guys at coker say the tire beads arent made for tubeless. the sticker on the tires say tubeless buy under that it says if your using tubes make sure the tire is clean inside.

anyway my question is...are there any guys NOT using tubes with these tires and are you having any air leak problems. i have the tube but before i take out the stem and ream the hole for the tube stem i'd like to know what others have found. thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason that most of us run tubes is that we have rims that aren't made for tubeless tires. If your rim is made for tubeless and the tire is tubeless I don't see the need for tubes.

You ought to almost be able to mount those by hand without using a tire machine.

3. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

thanks Mr48 i'm thinking the same thing. just figured someone on here is running them without tubes.

4. Heo

Heo

I have run a lot of tubeless tires on rims for tubetires
    never any problem unless the rims have been rusty
    were the tire seals against it
    Or if you do offroad driving then stumps and big stones
    can push the tire so it lose all the air at once

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Running a set of the 5:00X16 rib bias on 35 Ford wires No tube. Tires are marked tubless ,been running them this way going on 3 years no prob. If the tires are marked tubless and rims are good run them , just don't try 10 PSI in them. Depending on axle weight use at least 20 PSI in them. Common sense is used here.