Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coil Failure Diagnosis Pertronix Flamethrower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Aug 27, 2011.

1. What should have been a grand weekend of T-bird nirvana ended up on the back of a flatbed Wednesday night when my '63 'Bird decided it didn't want to run any more while speeding down I-80 after leaving the Flashbacks cruise night. Long story short, car has been running Pertronix Ignitor I and Flamethrower oil-filled 1.5 ohm resistance coil since '05 and using OEM resistor wire from ignition switch to coil, had first Flamethrower coil go out on me late August '07 going into Goodguys MidAmerica Nats, swapped it out with chrome-plated version and didn't have problems until now. Temperature on Wednesday wasn't oppressive - around 80 deg F, car was run 20 miles one way to get to the cruise. The car sat on the side of the road cooling down for around 40 minutes - just before the flatbed showed up I took a chance, hit the switch and it fired right off. Being cautious and since the flatbed was about to arrive, I elected to have it hauled home rather than get a few miles down the road and run the risk of stalling out again.

I'm trying to figure out if/why the coil failed, and why after a cool-down it would start again. The coil is mounted in the OEM bracket, which is bolted to the side of the A/C compressor. I'm suspecting heat transfer/build-up caused it to break down, but why now and not previously with all the driving I've done in the 4 years since installing the second coil? No failure in the Ignitor module that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong - love the fact I don't have to replace points/condenser, but after some more checking I may change my mind.

2. ElPolacko is correct regarding a horizontal mounted coil and the electrical terminals, as I'm assuming you have a OIL FILLED coil currently. That said, I would replace the coil with the EPOXY FILLED Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil. I'm saying this due to the fact that's it's mounted on the A.C. compressor. This might help with longevity, as the pertronix coils are actually quite good. Try the Epoxy filled one, I think you'll be fine. TR :D

3. Great info - thanks! Both of the Flamethrower coils were oil-filled; and, in all the archive searching I did, nowhere did I find a recommendation to mount the oil-filled coil can vertically so that the terminals were at the top. So, that all means if I try to use an oil-filled coil I need to mount it differently than the factory's horizontal orientation. But, I ran across several posts in my Google searching that didn't have kind words about the reliability or longevity of the epoxy-filled coil, so do I really want to take a gamble on another Flamethrower or go back to the OEM Ford-design coil in the stock bracket? For now I'll opt for the original coil/bracket since I have a few lying around, and be on the lookout for an epoxy-filled one at the next swap meet I go to (Greenfield IA and Fremont NE can't come fast enough).

Now, the follow-up question: is it possible the oil-filled coils I have would still work if I mount them vertically? If so, then I could salvage something and use one on my '55 Ford's 289 SBF by mounting it on the front of the block/cylinder head.

4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

good luck ,never had any luck with pertronix stuff.left me walking more than i can count.the old crane set up was much better .(not just me either i can list a dozen other people thats been left walking using their stuff too)but horizontal coil mounting is a non-no for oil filled coils

5. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Had the same issue awhile back, on a friends Chevelle. Coil mounted horizontally on the firewall. Took awhile to figure it out, as it would fire right back up when cooled down. EXCEPT, the duration that it would run got shorter and shorter. Someone suggested the windings on the coil being exposed from the oil, swapped it out, for a Napa unit, mounted vertically, and never had that problem since. Sounds like it should be a quick fix for you. Best of luck..

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hmmmmmmm... I've found them exceptionally reliable for more than a decade. :cool: Anytime I've heard of anyone having difficulties was because they did not follow their simple instructions....

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ditto!

8. There were instructions with the coil on how to mount it? Guess I need to check the box to see if there were any in there. Now, the follow-up question still is begging for an answer: is it possible the oil-filled coils I have would still work if I mount them vertically? And is it possible to bench-test a coil to determine if it's still good? If so, then I could salvage something out of this mess and use one on my '55 Ford's 289 SBF by mounting it on the front of the block/cylinder head. Then again, since it's still on points/condenser and an OEM coil as HFII and Donald Fry intended in '65...

9. Well, I just got out the box and instruction sheet that the chrome Flamethrower coil came in. The only direction regarding coil mounting is
    "6. Install the Flame-Thrower coil into the coil clamp and tighten into place...".
    There is NO mention about the need to mount an oil-filled coil vertically on the instruction sheet nor on the box it came in. Quite a bit of info on checking for ballast resistor/resistor wire and not using one. Not even the warranty statement says anything about a preferred mounting method.
    If anyone from Pertronix is reading this, if mounting the coil vertically is critical to it not failing, then please state same in your instructions. Of course, since I purchased mine in 2007, perhaps this has been taken care of by now? If you're considering using a Flame-Thrower oil-filled coil, try to install it so that it stands upright and not lay on its side. Now I've got to deal with a d@mned Optima battery that's crapped out after a year...I just can't win for losing this month!

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this subject has been covered before-think that Hotroddon on here is part of Pertronix

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Ok, i tryed to stay away hoping someone would step in and make this thread correct. I just felt that i didnt wish to come across with a add for our services .
    Well here we go , the oil filled coils may lay on there side if need be and tons of oems have done that for years.

The coils are made with a vacuum pack, the correct amount of oil in them and a proper seal to prevent any leakage when laying on their side .

Our coils are USA made in layafette Indiana and if for any reason they ever leak then the product is bad , period!!!!!!

Most coils are made off shore and thats what you get when you buy off shore products especially the ignition coils we see today!!! Cheap products!!! I just discussed this with a ignition supplier and he stated he paid $7.22 each for his coils, why was he talking to me ? He had a problem with his coils ! Really ???

Find your self a usa made coil with a warranty and be done with that one.

Now lets talk about the optima battery problem , i have three cars with optima batterys in them and had some problems with them . A couple issues:
    1-the optima batterys dont like a slow charge rate and over time seem to just clock out and quit.
    Google optima battery charging methods and use the one that has you hook the optima to another 12 volt battery and slam them both with a good 100 amp charger etc. This has woke up ever one of my problem batterys .!!

Hopefully this will help you fix both your problems at the same time....

12. Well I can say that both of the Flame-Thrower coils I have did not leak, however they did fail. Since I have a few used OEM coils lying around I've installed one in the 'Bird until I can get an epoxy-filled Flame-Thrower to try out - but, then again, you know what they say about insanity and expecting a different result...

As for the Optima debacle, I did find all the HAMB posts and did the battery-in-series thing. I was actually quite amazed that after a couple of hours the Optima came back to 12.5 volts - with a trickle/float charger on it overnight it was at 13.75 volts when I got home this evening. Now hopefully I can get the electrical gremlins exorcised from the 'Bird before cruising season runs out here.

13. voodoo1

voodoo1

This is quite interesting info. I have a '68 Caddy (don't hate) that I have been having problems with. It would run for a while, then sput, sputter and die. Would not restart for ambout 20 min. Then run for not very long. the coil is mounted in the stock location, on the Intake, Horizontal. I have made a bracket to set it up vertically, but now have carb problems... Mike

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The Pertronix has had issues with them . I have always told people that if you are going to do the Pertronix change over , make sure you carry a spare with you ! Personally I would change back to points ! At least if they go bad you can adjust them to get you back home . We have been using points forever and I sill like them . Unless I am running a big high HP engine I will use points in my Fords . I am building a 302 for my 55 Ford and I am using a dual Point distributor ! I thought about the electronic ignition but I have been left sitting on the side of the road one too many times with them .
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Mike , sounds like you have what's called a Hot & Cold coil ! They are fine when they are cold but when they get hot they stop working . Then you sit till it cools off then starts up and off you go .
    I would replace the coil with a GOOD USA made coil . Spend $40 and buy a good coil and that will solve your problem . Doesn't really matter if it's mounted flat or up right either . Personally I would just mount the way it came from the factory .
    As for the carb , they aren't that bad to rebuild and with the junk fuel we are using now it's a good chance the ethanol in the fuel destroyed your old gaskets , rubber O ring and other parts in the carb . Make sure you buy a modern carb kit and NOT an old OEM kit .
    Good luck with your Caddy !

Retro Jim

16. JohnT

JohnT

Thanks bubba...
    I was gonna send you an email on that exact subject...

I mounted your 4.0 coil sideways...

Attached Files:

• coil.jpg
      coil.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  17. One of the best moves I ever made on my Pontiac was to remove all the aftermarket "wiz bang" ignition parts and re-install the stock Delco coil and points distributor..

Dependable, easy to troubleshoot, easy to service and efficent....

slack likes this.
  18. I've been using Pertronix since they first hit the market. I have also had a few self inflicted problems. I have learned a few things through it all. The one thing that stands out over all is that Pertronix has an outstanding Tec support. You are not on your own if a problem comes up no matter how old your unit is. These guys are Top Notch with help when needed. If you have reservation about any information you received here call them, let them verify this information.
    The Wizzard

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I always use OEM electronic ignitions for my vehicles since they are basicly stock and parts can be found every where,now a duraspark ignition for the T bird will be harder to find since it was only used a couple years on the mid 70s trucks but they are out there and points style distributor caps and wires can be used with those distributors for those who want a points look.

20. ron pair

ron pair

21. ron pair

ron pair

i have had 2 petronix coils go bad from overheat on my 59 caddy coupe. they were mounted horizontally with the terminals in the 6 and 9 position per their tech support. i think the oil is not covering the coil when its sideways mounted. the coil works great for a few days and then overheats and dies.

22. suedestude

suedestude

I HAVE BEEN RUNNING PERTRONIX IN MY STUDEBAKER FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAS IT LET ME DOWN.