Register now to get rid of these ads!

COE update - chopped and dropped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Well, it has been a while since I have posted any updates on my 49 Ford COE. I figured it was a good time to do an update after finishing up the drop spindles and top chop.

Top was chopped 4 inches, left the rear window stock size by removing 2 inches above and below. I kept the vent windows and reworked them. I still have good headroom inside and view out the window.

The front end has air bags and drop spindles. The air bags are mostly so I can get over speed bumps and other obstacles, not for bouncing and other stuff. Fully deflated, as shown in these pics, I have about 1 inch above the top of the tire to the top of the fender, and about 1 inch at the back of the fender to the ground. So I can still drive if I lose an air line or bag problem.

I still need to build the flatbed for the back, and modify the rear spring pack, but that needs the flatbed built first. So for now, here is the current look. I drive this as my daily driver, and around to shows. It will be going to Bonneville again in a couple months. If you see me stop by and say hi. Terry

Attached Files:

2. ocfab

ocfab

one bad mamba jamba

3. jscoma47

jscoma47

that is a killer truck
    I got some family out your way,I maybe out there in december,i would love to see it up close.

4. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

My wife just walked over as I was drooling and was like that thing is bad ass. Very nice I love it

5. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

holy crap, wheres the motor? that looks cool! nice job on the rear window, matches the height of the side windows nicely.

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

She is soooo sexy!

7. KCsledz

KCsledz

That just looks right! Can't wait to see what you do next.

8. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Damn Terry!...that mofo is tuff!

9. fitzee

fitzee

Love it, nice job.any other pics? Would like to see how you mounted the cab and rigged out steering and stuff.

10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

i love your truck, awsome job!

11. wishihad147

wishihad147
    from delaware

thats sweet!! what frame is it on. did you use the original?

12. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I seen it at Santa Maria, watched a striper lay some lines on it, Cool rig!

13. Great looking truck!

14. You mean you're not gonna hop it?
    Looks awesome! Always loved those things...

15. skyrodder

skyrodder

16. that truck is just plain Badass!!!!!

17. Thanks to all for the compliments, I have alot of work in the truck and fun driving it around. Wish gas would cost less, but I will sacrifice to drive what I like. It gets about 12-13 mpg on the highway, maybe 7-8 in town, if I drive conservatively.

To answer some of the questions.
    a) chassis is 74 GM reg cab dually, it was 8 foot bed length.
    b) engine is in stock location for the chassis, it is a 350 SBC with turbo 400 trans. I do have a big engine cover inside the cab, like a van has. It is still comfortable, but tight.
    c) I just mounted the cab on the chassis where it looked right and made cab mounts from the GM frame using parts of the Ford cab mounts and adapting the two together.
    d) steering is the stock GM box, my column runs through the floor and has a single U-joint that connects to a severely shortened approx 6-inch shaft from the box. Still use the factory rag joint, and it is power steering.
    e) used the stock GM swing pedal set-up for the brakes, adapted to the Ford dash, and firewall mounted power booster and master cyl. Truck stops really good with the big 1-ton brakes.
    f) rearend is just flipped on top of leaf springs with the frame notched to get some susp clearance. Although with the stock 1-ton leaf pack it really does not have much rear travel right now. I may air bag the back some day, but removing a few leafs to soften it up is cheap and works fine.
    g) I installed A/C using an old 60's underdash unit, it sure feels great on long trips, such as to Bonneville.
    h) the striping at Paso Maria show was from my friend TBonez (Terry also) who is right here in my town of Livermore. It started raining a bit and he had to stop, but there are plans to add more. I tell people that is all the paint it will get.

My flatbed plans are to be a steel diamond plate, mounted low on the frame. Width will be at middle of rear tires, with fenderwells in the flatbed, and using 46 Ford big truck front fenders modified to become rear fenders covering the outer tires. Sort of a stepside flatbed look if that makes sense. I think a full width flatbed looks wrong as the cab is too narrow. My bed width will be just a couple inches wider than the cab. I can live with the narrower bed and the inner wheelwells. The truck is my daily driver and to haul junk on the back, my temporary plywood has already gotten a workout. People ask me when i will paint it, I tell them I would have to stop driving it to do that. Maybe someday it will get paint, probably from someone else when my automotive ADD kicks in and I sell it because I want a change.

18. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

19. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea
    BANNED

that's a tough bruiser

20. BadLuck

BadLuck

Cool truck..I can see that being in "Duell 2":D

21. Paul Y

Paul Y

Make sure you write my name on the inside of the windsreen so when your ADD kicks in you can remember who wants to buy it from you....

P.

22. Bill H.

Bill H.

Add me to that list. Cool rig.

Bill

23. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

That thing looks like it should be chasing some college kids in a sedan down a deserted road in the south!!!!

24. lesabre59

lesabre59

Hey Terry,

That truck is looking damn good, I just came across this and havent talk to ya in a while...its come a long way from the last time I saw it...good work. I see ya sportin a plaque, which club you with now?