Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Coal Bin" 1930 Model A roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hurley50, May 3, 2013.

1. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Here is my new project. I've been building it for a while but decided to start a build thread because I think it may actually be something one day.

Here is the background on this car. My dad's buddy "H" knew of this roadster that was in a barn in MI near where I grew up. The story is that it was once used as a coal bin in a nearby town that I grew up. Apparently the body was sitting on ground and the trunk was used to store coal for the winter. Which I can tell after getting it sandblasted... back to the story. I think it must have had something happen to it early on to just have the body sitting on the ground.... Later the body was put on a truck frame, so I am told. It looks like it was customized back in the day. It came with one chopped windshield stanchion, A chopped convertible top that the hinges were welded. It had 50 ford tail lights turned vertical, very crude install, but cool anyway. It was at some point parked in this barn. The barn roof leaked on this car and pretty much ruined most of it.

My dad's buddy "H" knew that this car was in the same barn for at least 30 years because he always wanted to buy itfrom the guy. He would never sell it. A few years ago the guy wanted his barn torn down, which is what "H" does. So now was his chance to get this car.. Long story short he got the car for tearing the barn down. Probably because it was so far gone...
    My dad told me he got it, I kept asking my dad to ask "H" if he wanted to sell it. I've always wanted a roadster. I don't think my Dad ever got the chance to ask him if he wanted to sell it. The next time I was up in MI we went over to look at it. I was in love! It was a rusty pile of crap. The back half was on the ground upside down and parts everywhere. But I like saving old cars so it was perfect! I told him about a couple of Maytag engines I had, which he always wanted, he made me an offer. A few weeks later we came to an agreement over the phone. I would trade my two maytag engines for his roadster and 125 bucks. It was mine! My 2 year old son and I took a 12 hour road trip (which was fun in itself) to MI to get the car. By the way my son did great on the trip there and back, it was a great bonding moment for me and my son.
    I went through different ways to do this car, should I get it running and drive it like it is? fix it up and hot rod it? .... it was an easy choice after my dad got the original engine running.. Hot rod it!
    I'm trying to keep this build semi traditional and simple... By semi traditional I mean I am running a 60's 283 bored 60 over (I know a chevy in a ford, but at least it's an old sbc). Also a TH350 trans , 9 inch rear, Lincoln front drum brakes, 40 ford wheels that my Dad had on a car when I was growing up, 32 rails, 32 radiator shell... As you can see my Avatar picture is what I want it to look like. Black of course.. what other color do you paint a coal bin! Anyway I'll post more pictures to get up to date. Here is the picture when I found it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

couple more pictures, put the back half back on, put matching wheels on it my dad has laying around....

Attached Files:

3. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

My Dad had these wheels on his 47 ford sedan back when I was little. He sold the car but kept these. I helped tape off the flames for that car. Trying to have as many meaningful parts as I can. I put radials that have a bias ply sort of look. Also the 283, had it all redone.. it was already bored 60 over... my Dad gave me this engine a while back.

Attached Files:

4. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Nice! The shoebox tail lights are kinda cool.

5. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

fast forward a little. 32 frame rails pinched and notched, 40 ford wishbones, dropped forged axle, Lincoln drums, coil overs in back with ladder bars. I really wanted to old school look with the front drums and bones. I struggled doing discs on the front, which would have been cheaper... I just like the simple look of the Lincoln drums. The rear end was narrowed. I had Alan at Flatlander's hot rods build the chassis, he did a great job. I wanted the chassis done right, so I had it done by a professional. I learned a lot from seeing most of the process. I even helped put it all together just to learn how it all works.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I think so too.... part of me wants to put these tail light back on.. undecided

sko_ford likes this.
  7. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

The body was a mess. This was the good door, and after having it sandblasted I ordered new doors from Brookville... then a new trunk lid and a couple other panels.

Attached Files:

8. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

This was about a month ago..Obviously I have a new 32 grill and insert. Lots of patch panels, fitting doors. I channeled the body over the frame about 1.25". A lot of this stuff (like channeling a model a) I learned from posts here on the HAMB...

Still a lot more welding to do...

Attached Files:

oliver westlund, hfh, gonzo and 2 others like this.
  9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

looking good...

10. Very cool, coming along nicely

11. aojo

aojo

the ride height is excellent

12. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 562roadster

562roadster

Nice job! Keep us posted on the progress

14. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

You're doing well. I can clearly see that you are using your head to build a solid, respectable hot rod. Maintain your course and keep us posted with progress.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

15. You are definitely converting it from a "coal bin" into a "cool bin". Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jim

16. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks guys! I fast forwarded through a lot of work like fitting the Brookville doors (which isn't just a bolt on deal), getting the quarters lined up, sandblasting, patch panels. I still don't have the trunk lid fitting as good as I want, but it's close.

Right now I'm working on the floors.. planning out the braces. Just got my lokar shifter in. Also working on the firewall recess, I want it to kind of follow the lines of the engine.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. zjerry

zjerry

18. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

19. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Sweet model A, I'm 38 and have a 31 ford roadster with old school touches like 56 olds engine and trans 40 brakes and steering 55 Chevy rear here a couple of pics.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367934711.216110.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367934757.696013.jpg

hfh, Mikel50, Hurley50 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Babyearl

Babyearl

Sure looks better than what I have,, keep up the good work.

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

22. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I love Nicks roadster, very cool ride.

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) Yours will be just a cool . I'm sure.:D:cool:

24. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Sweet ride man!

25. Nice work so far, Matt! Gonna be "just right"!

BTW....Where in NC?

26. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Triad area, more inland

27. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

working on the firewall, had some of it all tacked up, then I was asked if the distributor could be removed. Well, back to the drawing board. It was only lacking about an inch or so. I cut a rounded area at the top which gave me enough to get it out. Good thing I didn't get too far along.

Attached Files:

28. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

What size and brand of tires. They look great!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  29. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks! The tires I got from coker tire, they are the excelsior stahl sport radial. 16inch, 750's in the back 550's in the front.

30. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Back working on the firewall. Lifted the body off the frame so I could finish up the welding. I used exhaust pipe cut into quarters for the curve on the recess. Notice I cut out the bump where the gas tank outlet used to be and used it for my distributor bump that way I didn't have to recess the firewall as much... I need all the leg room I can get.

Attached Files:

Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.