Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Clutch Popper Wednesdays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 6, 2011.

1. haha....your in!

2. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Hey Lee still digin' my 28' from you. Love this car dude!

I did notice something when removing the interior door panels... HUH? ha ha
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. Well I've read about people using the nibbler I have to do louvers. I guess I'll have to read in to it more.... Thanks guys, now I have more work to do haha

Dude I miss the shit out of that car. It was so much fun.
    As for the door panel, well all I can say is my friends are assholes haha. Did you notice the backing for the upholstery? haha At 1am when you decide to upholster the door panels, you don't have very many options :D

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sorry had to erase that shit. The backing was in true hotrod faction. Hey, found some 31' canuck nickels in the seat before replacing it.

[​IMG]

Great fun with this one. Running some 35 wires now and did a few other things. Very happy man!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. Saxon, you're a lucky man. Lee, you must be some kind of idiot! Who lets a car like that go??

BloodyKnuckles

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Knuckles, a guy building a AV8 roadster is who!

7. OK but he's still an idiot!!:D

BloodyKnuckles

8. Those 1931 nickels must have fallen out of my pocket in the drive though. Seat looks really good, I like it!

Bloody Knuckles, I don;t know what to say to you yet, because I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet, but when I do... look out! haha

9. Got your coffee yet?

BloodyKnuckles

10. I'm gonna reply of Lee's behalf.

Yes, he's some kind of idiot.

11. The roadster with the weird hood ornament looks like a good match for that little white car in the movie Idiocracy (sp?).

12. Thanks Johnny...

13. Alright so this post is actually being written Thursday morning instead of Wednesday night as usual. We went pretty late last night (12:30) and then I had to race out to the airport to pick up my girlfriend whose plane was landing at 12:30! Luckily though her plane was delayed. I got there at 1:17am and she came out of customs just after 1:30:D.

So anyways, last night was Johnny's turn so we picked up where we left off on his frame.
    The rails were finished off but we still needed to make some fishplates for them.
    [​IMG]

Dave gets really excited by red construction paper, but don't worry, I made him use safety scissors!
    [​IMG]

Johnny was really excited too!
    [​IMG]

And we had a HAMB guest, MercMark, who volunteered to come help out. Although I think he just really wanted to see my SFCC hood ornament:eek:
    [​IMG]

With the fishplates traced out on 1/8" plate Johnny and Mark started cutting them out.
    [​IMG]

And Dave started welding them on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Johnny and Mark were cutting out the fishplates Dave and I measured for the front crossmember and got it all trimmed. With the fishplates welded on it was time to fit the front crossmember
    [​IMG]

Once it was tacked it we measured for the rear crossmember and trimmed it to fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With them both tacked, and the frame tripple checked for squareness and levelness Dave went ahead and welded them both in

[​IMG]

This left us with time for "socializing"
    [​IMG]

Except Fred... he was busy with a pig ear
    [​IMG]

And here we have a finished perimeter frame!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Frame looks great guys!

15. MercMark

MercMark

Thanks for having me fellas, it was fun! A clueless rookie like myself probably learns more from a few hours of watching/helping/talking to guys who know what they're doing, than from spending months reading threads here on the HAMB.

I'll come back anytime you'll have me... I'll even bring a sock to sacrifice to the Great Hood Ornament!

16. so... what was the dinner menu?

17. Nice to have you out Mark, we'll see you again for sure. Glad you had some fun.

Dinner kind of sucked this time. Lee had an omelette, and Dave and I had corned beef on rye. The food was ok, but the service was slooooooooooow.

18. hotflint

hotflint

I only tacked the fishplates on and then put the long sleeved shirt on, but man do I ever have a sunburn on my forearms and biceps today! Yooooow! It doesn't take much to burn exposed skin with the tig I know better too!

The special was a corned beef sandwich with fries or an omlette, I had to get mine to go because I showed up about 40 minutes late.

19. You can run a hose from the vent hole (on the top, both side) through a hole in the bottom. Some cars have the battery under the seat (Some GM and German cars) and they use the hose from vent trick. You will need a little adapter nipple to put the holes on, any auto part store will have that.

20. Well Wednesday has come again! Tonight was Daves night and for supper we had BBQ 1/4 Chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. Chocolate pudding with whip cream for desert.
    Back at the shop I got started by prepping Daves brand new gas tank while Dave and Johnny started jacking the car up so we could get underneath.
    [​IMG]

While underneith Johnny started cleaning the years of grease and grime off the rearend and getting it ready for some black paint.
    [​IMG]

Dave got started on mixing some paint colors together for the new tank. He is experimenting with Duplicolor Lacquer from Canadian Tire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daves Grandpa Mel, and his cousin Jesse came down tonight to make sure we were doing everything right:D
    Mel is an old Edmonton hot rodder, and a hell of a nice guy.
    [​IMG]

After the tank was prepped I went ahead and installed the new rubbers for the heater/vent tubes, as well as the new cowl rubber.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once johnny got the diff cover off I went and cleaned it all up and got it ready for Dave to paint.
    [​IMG]

By then Dave was ready to spray the tank.
    He started with a custom mixed (by Dave himself) off white for the base coat.
    [​IMG]

Next he mixed up a goldish yellow for the fade around the edge and the middle. Yes Dave is fade painting his gas tank, and he even did the top too!:eek:
    [​IMG]

Next came the pearl green...
    [​IMG]

And Finally the 3 coats of clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as for the diff cover? It got the same treatment.
    [​IMG]

While Dave was painting the tank and cover, Johnny and I crawled underneath with some black spray bombs and painted the rearend, springs and frame rails.
    [​IMG]

Once the Diff cover was dry (lacquer dries super fast) we bolted it back on and filled the rearend with some new oil.
    [​IMG]

Clutch Poppers Approved!
    [​IMG]

To end the night, Johnny would like to share another youtube video for you. Don't worry there is no Japanese cross dressers in this one, just a real badass drummer, perhaps one of the best.
    Enjoy this cover of Sweet Georgia Brown, the drum solo is the best!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbN-jO11vKg&feature=related

21. love the gas tank and the drum solo.

22. Good stuff guys. The tank and cover look pretty cool. How was the Duplicolor lacquer? I have heard that it is pretty thin stuff but it seems to have covered not bad.

23. The duplicolor actually went pretty good. I sprayed a car with last summer and was quite happy with the results. Covered good, sprays nice. I don't know how long it holds up, I haven't seen the car I sprayed last summer since I sprayed it.
    I guess we will see with Daves car. Dave was saying you can spray urethane clear over it with no problems.

24. hotflint

hotflint

thanks guys! The Duplicolor sprayed on very nice! It dried fast, There is a blog on the duplicolor website with many posts about clearing it with urethane, the company claims that it is clearable with urethane with no problems. It is thin, BUT it covered very well. 2 coats of the off white I mixed covered the tank.

25. That is the coolest gas tank ever!

26. MercMark

MercMark

27. Tonight was not a normal Wednesday night. Dave had a mandatory family function to attend, and Johnny was sick. It was just me by my lonesome tonight. Not much of a dinner report, I ate two sandwiches a co-worked left in the fridge. Clutch Poppers Wednesday almost did not happen. It is -33 tonight, snowy and cold, and I was seriously lacking motivation! But after I while I got bored and decided to do something anyways, even if a little bit only got done, it was still better than nothing.
    Well Fred was still here, but he's not much help, and he complains a lot when I don't let him lay in his bed.
    [​IMG]

So I started the night out by heading over to Princess Auto to grab some welding cable and battery ends. As I said earlier, it's cold out and the truck was across the parking lot!
    I let it warm up for about 15 minutes but it still looked cold inside!
    [​IMG]

Yep, it was still cold inside. All metal cabs take a while to warm up in -30 weather!
    [​IMG]

The one good thing about -30 though, there was only like 5 people at Princess Auto.
    [​IMG]

I parked inside the shop when I got back, nothing deserves to sit outside in this weather!
    [​IMG]

It's sad when $50 worth of stuff only fills up half a bag. Almost as bad as the grocery store.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started out by drilling some holes in the back of the battery box to run the cables through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then ran the positive cable along the frame rail and up to the firewall.
    [​IMG]

I mounted a solenoid on the firewall. I thought about the mounting location for quite a while. I eventually chose the firewall. I tried it in spots like the inside of the frame rail for a clean look, but then ended up choosing the firewall for simplicity and functionality. As much as I like a clean firewall, this is a hot rod, and I believe it should be as simple as possible to work on. Form follows function.
    A solenoid is a functional part, and therefor it should be in an easy to get to spot. If it fails I don't want to be crawling underneath to fix it, I want it in the open where it is easy to get to.
    [​IMG]

I was just getting ready to run the wire from the solenoid to the starter and I realized I ran out of connectors! This was at 9:05 as usual, and of course Princess Auto closes at 9:00.
    Thats when I decided to call it a night, as I too was not feeling to hot, and then all of a sudden Dave walked through the door!!
    We didn't do anything after he showed up, but we did get some good quality hang out time in together.
    [​IMG]

The one thing I have to say after having a Clutch Popper night myself is how much I truly appreciate Johnny and Dave's help. At first I was really bummed neither one of them could make it and was going to call the night a write off, but then I started thinking. There is lots of people out there that don't have anyone to help them, and they still get the job done and build badass cars! If these guys can do it all the time, I can work on my roadster one night with out the help of my friends.
    Now I'm not saying I never work on the roadster when their not here helping me, as I do put a lot of time in on the weekends on it, usually by myself.
    What I am saying is thank you Dave and Johnny for helping me build my car! You guys are my heroes and have been there almost every step of the way. Hell Johnny was there on day one when I drug a bare model A chassis into the shop rolled some shitty tires up to it and said "yeah! This is gonna be the baddest hot rod in town!"
    See, there he is in the background!
    [​IMG]

28. Greezeball

Greezeball

29. Thanks for the update Lee.

30. shainerman

shainerman

fuck those temperatures. I also cant handle that truck, haha. Im figuring out a way to get you the cragars for your reputations sake.