Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cloisonne repair at home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Mar 18, 2020.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have found only a few people that do cloisonne repair and they are backed up for a year and get $300 for each piece. Has anyone been able to use other methods / materials at home and get decent results?
    I have one with a brass finish and one with a chrome finish. Could I chrome and brass plate the parts then use some type of translucent paint? These are not very intricate. Airflow-hood-emblem.jpg

brigrat likes this.
  2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You need a oven capable of 1200 degrees. A jewelry "burn out" oven would work. You can get the colors from a wholesale jewelry supplier. They are like little crystals that melt into the area you want

rod1 and abe lugo like this.
  4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I know it wouldn't hold up the same, but couldn't I get some translucent paint from an art store?

5. I have no idea if it would work or not, but candy paints are basically translucent coloured and would work in the same way as glass, or?

bchctybob likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

That would be fun on that zinc piece! Poof.

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Zinc will not work for sure. The paints are out of experience to have an opinion

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I learned how to bake enamel in middle school. Depending on your materials might be able to do it translucent.

No reason why candy paint wouldnt work, do some experimenting and youre still a long ways from 300 per piece. Start with a good chromed surface or polished surface.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What about a tinted resin (2 part?) to pour into the areas you want, then sand / buff that down level with the metal's surface?

Hnstray likes this.
  10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

that would probably work

11. As Gnichols said, the epoxy with a drop of paint in it works. I have used this method, and it works well. If the piece or section you are working on is reasonably flat, & if you use the epoxy which takes 24 hours to set, it will flow flat, and end up with a gloss finish. You fill up the indents with a small screwdriver, dipped in the wet goop, a drop at a time.
    A warm room or shed helps it flow. The enamel they use for painting plastic models is good, and available in a million colours. Experiment first on some scrap stuff, sometimes you only need a pinhead of paint in a few drops of epoxy. The only drawback I see is that epoxy goes soft at around 90 degrees C . (you can do the conversion to F)

12. I wouldn't hesitate to go with candy paint(s) or the tinted epoxy. I've done that to fill in missing chips of color in emblems. They look okay standing next to the car.
    I recently had a couple of chrome pieces that I wanted to have a brass look. I shot a light amount of candy brown, wiped the high relief areas with a semi-dry solvent rag, and then overcoated it all with candy yellow. This gets a clear gloss or clear flat topcoat depending on the effect I'm going for. It's not exactly the same as the cloisonne work but it's all related.

13. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Looks more like Champleve' from here.

14. patsurf

patsurf

bravo for that knowledge!!

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Just don't get me started on "engine turning"

16. patsurf

patsurf

damascening??

Hnstray likes this.
  17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Correct.

18. I just did a repair to an enamel sink using epoxy and adding a touch of the tint used to change or modify paint colours. I got the tint from the local paint store. The epoxy I used for this repair, was 5 minute, quick setting epoxy, and the repair worked better than I expected.
    If a person was going to actually bake enamel for a true cloisonné project, I have used an oven used for baking pottery. If you live in a populated area, you might be able to find a hobby store that will have the equipment, or will give you a lead to a hobbiest that does have an oven.
    Bob

19. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Product available from jewellery suppliers called Ceramit, works like 2 part epoxy but harder, bake in a regular oven at 350 if I remember correctly. Lots of colours

gnichols and j-jock like this.
  20. Wanderlust

Wanderlust