Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clear coat on glass

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Leadsled 49, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Leadsled 49

Leadsled 49

Anyone cleared a window? I have deep scratches in my shoe box back window. I'm thinking of clearing the whole window then sanding and buffing it.

2. no i have not
    i don't think it will hold up
    i don't think it will be as clear as glass
    can't hurt to try

3. Never heard of anyone doing it. HRP

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Quit being cheap. Replace your scratched glass. It could save your life.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

i bet it wouldnt stick, no mechanical or chemical adhesion, probably not opticaly clear enough either

6. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

If it would work, the body guys would have been doing it for years. They have tricks, secret tricks...

7. Maybe that's the body guys secret trick. That's why no one else knows about it.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Have you tried one of the glass polishing kits.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How does that glass chip repair kit work, never tried one. Maybe you could slather that stuff on and buff it.

10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Have you seen a panel get spot cleared? If you look close the edge is always their no matter how much feather buffing you do. You would just be filling the scratches with clearcoat. I would try wax before the expensive stuff.

11. Leadsled 49

Leadsled 49

Ya I tried the scratch repair kit (commercial) it made it worse. I cleared a small square looks great from the outside. By the way I am a paint and body guy:)

12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wait wait wait... Your going to heavy clearcoat the whole thing? Wow. Go for it. Use some adhesion promoter. Maybe tint it with drops of candy color before spraying.

13. oldolds

oldolds

Back in the gasser war days, there were many cars racing with dark tinted windows. Most of it was spray on window tint. It was on the inside, but held up for years. Clear on the outside... I would think it would get a fogged look after a while.

14. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

If you try it, you could sand the entire window for adhesion. The clear will fill the sand scratches. I would mask of a small square, 4 Inches or so and spray that to see how transparent the clear is.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have tried the glass polishing kit . Spent a day or so sanding and polishing as per instructions , sure it helped but wasn't really worth all the effort . The glass came out a little wavy but still scratched, maybe they were too deep?

16. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

I believe 3M makes a clear film that is used to prevent Lexan from scratching.

17. Slopok

Slopok

Is a Shoebox Rear window not available or is it cost prohibited?

18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'm sure you know that when clearing over paint sand scratches 600 or finer will cover. Do a test panel. Luck.

19. indyjps

indyjps

Not much to lose except time and the cost of the clear. I doubt it will hold up well, but what do I know.
    You gotta etch the glass somehow, DA with 800 or 1000?
    I like the idea of tinting it, in case the clear ends up not actually clear, not sure if the tint will settle down in the deep scratches.

20. Be sure to use a quality primer first

21. spanners

spanners

Let's get fair dinkum here. Everybody knows the only way to get paint to stick to glass is to spray an area near the glass. As a result, the oversprayed paint will stick like shit to a blanket, but if you intentionally prepare the glass for paint, it will peel off.

'51 Norm and blowby like this.
  22. This shit is funny.......................................

da34guy and tommyd like this.
  23. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Back in the 90"s I was working at a bodyshop where one of the techs put a bad scratch in a customer's hatch glass. They said they were going to make him pay for it. He spent 2-3 evenings of his own time first wet sanding with a dual action sander and then polishing. He just used ordinary paint polish products. When he was done, there was a slight wave in the glass but the scratch was gone.

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I had a windshield polished once.[ Wiper scratches] Had some bad hallowing going on during night time driving.

25. Leadsled 49

Leadsled 49

I can get a new window for $350 just thinking this would work for the short term.

26. desotot

desotot

We used to use jewelers rouge and water with a buffing wheel but it would leave a wave which gives a distortion when you look through it. This is a problem if it is in the windshield and you are stuck looking through it as you drive but you say it is the backglass so you may be able to live with it. However it is a messy time consuming job, you may want to bide your time and look for a better window cause they are fairly abundant compared to some.

27. samurai mike

samurai mike

i never look back.

da34guy and BarryA like this.
  28. sololobo

sololobo

I am curious as to what is scratching your glass? Seems unusual to have a reoccurring problem like this.

29. flamecrazy

flamecrazy

Try House of Kolor adhesion promoter. I have old cans,so don't know if they changed the #.ADHERETO AP-01 is the part # on the can I have. I have painted on the out side of the glass with this and it holds up good. It will scrap off if you try but if you take care of it it will be fine.Its made to spray over glass and chrome. Good luck. I am a body guy, this is old school tech...

30. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I think I'd polish it with a $350.00 bill.

da34guy and turboroadster like this.