Register now to get rid of these ads!

History City says GET RID OF THE CARS! FINES! What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLBILLY, Sep 21, 2010.

1. screwball

screwball

Man I thought the U.S.A. was THE LAND OF THE FREE!!!!!!!!!! Your becoming the land of the whipped time to get a bunch of car guys banded together and storm or at least show up in mass at your town hall meeting. There is strength in numbers but one at a time your screwed.This goes to all of us we need to band together and stand shoulder to shoulder all old car guys not just the trad guys get every one you can.

2. screwball

screwball

Ive lived in the neighborhoods with the manicured lawns and perfect people with the little pink houses. Knowing now the best thing I did was move out to the country away from anyone. Its a long drive to work the kids need to bus to school but I will never move back to a town until I GIVE UP MY ANTISOCIAL behaver and become one of the boring masses.

3. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

To put it nicely...the laws suck. Imagine how many cars were destroyed over the years that most of us cherish now. All because some city or county retard thinks its a eye sore. I had to sell my '68 Road runner this summer cause I was fixn to get fined $250 a day plus a misdemeanor. Lost some serious money on that car....just cause someone didnt like it. Classic cars, muscle cars....what ever it may be...if its collectible let it be....parts are no longer in production. If its something like a Honda....or a old Dodge caravan or something of that matter....fine...fine me. But let the classic cars be. I oughta put my 29 Sports Coupe outside with the tags off for a week and let them write me up.....then its game on..."Oh Mr District Attorney...we need to talk"

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its a problem. If you have a car that runs, get it licensed and you're OK. If you have a car that does not run, or a car you are working on get it inside a garage.
    If you have lots of old cars get a junkyard permit and move to an area where it's allowed.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

So where were you and all your car buddies when the city was voting on this stuff?

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

Damn dog catcher!

7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Personally I hate junk in my own backyard! It annoys me staring at the shit whenever I go outside.
    If I part out a vehicle, I strip it within a few days , I never immobilise it [as in selling wheels ]

In my country,if I get a complaint [ I had a few concerning my wife's show-dogs ] I tell them "I ain't listening, so put it in writing"

The power of the pen is amazing, egos disappear etc! Also facts have to be straight, and threats cannot be made unless they have due cause.
    Plus written complaints can always be refered back to in the future.

Any city "authority" that makes all these 'threats' and tries the 'enforce his power' usually doesn't know his job / or law.

Does the good ol' US of A have privacy laws? If so, I bet they are federal laws and not some "city bylaw" [ use them in your defence ]

If this doesn't work, store your cars elsewhere [ there are plenty of places I've seen on the "sitting and rotting" thread here on the HAMB ]:D

8. Dan859

Dan859

Just a quick reference to the comment earlier that Code Officers are Police Officers. Maybe, mabe not, usually not. Local gov'ts usually won't invest that kind of money for the screening and hiring process, not to mention sending someone through the police academy so he can write code violations. They're usually more in the category of the dog warden. They're town employees, so that means there's rules and regulations detailing what they can and can't do.
    If you run into an issue like this, your best defense is knowledge. Like some others have said, find out what the local codes are. Request the code enforcement officer to detail, in writing, what codes you have supposedly violated. Never admit anything, never volunteer information, and never invite or allow him to enter your property without legal cause. Don't get angry and say something you'll regret later. Your best bet if he comes to your house is to ask him what the problem is and let him talk. Don't answer, try to explain, or try to justify anything. If he asks you questions, just tell him you're not sure of the proper legal issues, and you're going to talk to your lawyer before you respond. Make your responses written. Like other posters said, forcing him to put everything in writing at the very least aviods the he said/he said issues, and tends to eliminate a lot of the side issues.
    He's an employee of the municipality and he has a supervisor. The local government is responsible for his actions. If he's exceeding his authority, enforcing the codes arbitrarily or in any sort of a discriminatory way, that needs to be pointed out, in writing, to his supervisor. This will usually solve the problem.
    Remember, be polite, be professional, and be prepared to defend your rights through the proper channels.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's a two edged sword.

I bought an acre in an area with no restrictions as far as neighborhood associations etc., so that I wouldn't have tp worry about how big my shop could be etc. There are only 4 houses on our street and you would know......the guy across the street is in construction. He owns a company and he just keeps buying more crap. Trailers, goosenecks, front end loaders, ditch diggers, boats, cars and fleet trucks.

I have 10 cars but nothing is outside. This bozo won't build a building to house his crap, so be careful what you ask for.........

Our city got tired of people calling in about trailers etc on your property, so they raised the amount to 6 per acre!

10. Lild

Lild

Our village started to enforce the same thing. Used to be able to have a non-registered car covered or fenced but now it has to be in a garage. No exceptions.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Around here, especially with home prices going through the roof, a lot of codes are enforced by police officers. These officers are dedicated to "Quality of Life" issues. What they found is a clean and well maintained neighborhood raises property values. Crooks and dopers can't afford to live there and when they show up, they stand out like a sore thumb. Quick pro-active enforcement deters crime.

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

there is a federal court case that says the city inspector can not come on your property with out a search warrent other wise they can only inspect from the sidewalk and see what is in plain view.

ADVANCE \d 5 SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N; Jacob v. Township of West Bloomfield,; 6th Cir. 07/10/2006
    [1] UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT
    [2] No. 05-1647
    #[3] 192 Fed.Appx. 330, 2006 Fed.App. 0479N, 2006.C06.0000738
    [4] July 10, 2006

the city that goes against this is not going to have a defense. so if the city inspector comes by ask him to leave unless he can produce a search warrent

13. I once got a 38 chevy p/u free because of their crazy laws. City said it had to go and I was in the right spot at the right time.

14. It's all scare tactics, and boils down to them needing money. There job is no longer funded by a state budget, so they have to drum up their own pay checks. The lack of taxes from the housing market, has brought some of this on. Don't give them higher moral value over you, keep your composer & know your rights. I've been through it three times, one too many!

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

austraila now does not allow modified cars into the country . thats not right ! .. steve

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to change the subject of the thread or anything...:rolleyes:

17. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

If you look in the back ground of the picture I have great neighbors they never complain and are real quite especially at night well maybe sometimes .

Attached Files:

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Not to change the subject of the thread or anything...:rolleyes:
    sorry , thought it was all relavent ....................... steve

19. lawman

lawman

I have to agree with "Gassersgarage". I worked in Meade County,Ky as a Code Enforcement Officer after I retired as a Louisville Police officer.I worked for the Fiscal court for almost 7 years before being fired because the new group in office decided they did not need the county cleaned up because and get this " It made some voters mad !!!!! Please be nice to an
    old man because he may be someones father !!! LOL Tom ( Tired Old Man)

20. you don't get complaints of halloween decorations being up all year long?:d

21. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

CA has been out of control for some time now...

22. lovea57Ford

lovea57Ford
    from TN

They tried to do this in my town. My dads '70 Torino GT has been sitting (I know...it kills me too) for years cops have raised hell with him about it a few times even though it's covered up..my dad, being the original man with gas in his veins would only say "you think the cops raise hell about it now..you should have seen them 30 years ago when it was on the road " :D and one day after I bought my '57..the cops wanted to raise hell with me about it sitting int he driveway while I was working on it...

The terrible thing is..some of the city big-wigs who think they run the showbcause they have one of the few "buisnesses" in town (a classic case of "good ol' boy" small town bullshit) have some relatives that also sit on the board, so nobody says anything about the dilapidated ex gas station turned into a combination trucking buisness/tons of scrap/pile of rusty useless shit RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of town. If you aren't a Allbright in this town..you aren't shit is the general consensus. There is a hell of alot more, but...even thinking about typing it out makes me see red.

23. 73super

73super

There are always ways to "fly under the radar".. I guess we're just going to have to back to our Outlaw roots.. by that I mean.. Americans!!

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's a disease, taking over our society. It's driven by people with inferiority complexes, that don't have a life, and blame everybody that enjoys things like old cars for their own inadequacies. Yes, I also know that most people will roll over before they take drastic action like moving. And, that's part of the problem. Too many people roll over.

I'll give you an example, just happened to me this month. I live in a trailer park. Yes, I call it a trailer park. The uppity people call it a Mobile home Village. Oh how we must fancy up the name of where we live! LOL. But, there are the same kind of people everywhere, even in the car hobby, that insist that if I don't have shiny paint on my car they are smarter, better, and have more pride in theirs than I have in mine. Of course that's bullshit, but bullshit is what our society is becoming.

Back to the trailer park where I live. I have a little two wheel utility I built to haul stuff to the swap meets behind my hot rod truck. I like it. I've had it sitting in the same place for several years. I don't have a picture of it sitting back in the trees, but picture that in your mind.
    utility trailer.jpg

There are about 250 home-sites in this trailer park. I rent the space from them, to park my house. But with the economy like it is there's almost 50 vacancies. That adds up to more than $150,000 a year they (ain't getting) that they might be if they rented all of those vacant spots.

The fuckin' property owner blames the resident manager for the vacancies. Dipshit don't want to believe it's the economy. Enter; New Manager. They're going to "clean the place up to improve rentals". I get a letter on the door. Move the utility trailer. I go to the office and ask for an explaination. I was told there's not really anything wrong with your little trailer but we made somebody else right around the corner from you move their old ugly boat trailer so just to be fair to everybody you need to join in the attempt to improve our sites. I go ballistic. What the fuck do you mean, improve? How is my trailer being there got to do with people cant afford to pay the rent higher rent here so they move their house to a place where the rent is cheaper? Then the stupid argument comes down to the premise that people move out because the place looks bad. That's the thumb-sucking mentality of them. We're surrounded! By morons!

Anyhow, I talked it over with my wife, we decided, fuck them, we ain't moving our little utility trailer. I went back to the office and told them, "When it comes down to moving that trailer, you can consider that requirement as a sure way to have ONE MORE VACANCY!

LOL!" :D

About an hour later my wife took a call from the manager saying the trailer can stay. She replied in effect, "what are you talking about, tell me something I don't already know!"

My point? Right around the corner from me there's an example of what some people do just because they are told they have to. The guy 'rolled over', moved his boat trailer just because some nimrod told him he had to. I wonder how many other things he would do without question, just because somebody told him he had to do it. ???:eek:

Me? I ain't going to live where I can't enjoy life the way I know it. Life is too short. There's plenty of places left where busy-bodies dont dwell.:cool:

25. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

Not hard to understand. The feds want them gone. You are not spending enough money on new vehicles. Too many people selling used parts and they do not get their fair share.

26. gmans356

gmans356
    from MDR

I am in a M1 building and had one car outside for about 3 hours and they wanted to fine me and across the street from me is a guy who has at least 25 cars in his yard that are not worth more than 5 grand combined and the place looks like a land fill site and he has 160 violations in a year and they keep letting him get away with it...Oh he is a non citizen Iraqi and they dont want to come off as racists...I guess and the inspectors come by day after day and nothing changes. Oh I am talking about a house, that he doesnt live in and rents out to illegals...not kidding! and these treasures of his are rusty Toyotas and other assorted crap...point being these assholes are everywhere and poking into peoples business and I can see their point when you start putting your cars up on jack stands so your twelve dogs have some type of shelter!
    So stop complaining and vote these assholes out of office, you will find lots of people on your side and goverment is out of control and needs to be curbed.

27. slobroy

slobroy

Hellbilly, I have a friend that's the poster child for local government codes inforcement. They left a note on his door, so when he went to the court house to check on the fine they arrested him on the spot. He had to post bail and all. Find out the city and county codes for your area in Tn. In Smyrna and Rutherford Co. their real anal. Piss off the local inspector and he'll have it in for ya. Pm me and I'll get you in touch with my buddy if you think that will help. Most of the complaints came from his neighbors wife, she recently pass away. That helped his situation alot.

28. If you can't plant flowers in it and call it yard art, start a "Church of the 57 chevrolet." They can not pass laws against the Church of any religion

29. lowongas

lowongas

I may be a bit mouthy about this BUT these laws are PASSED by YOUR local council or local government.These laws were talked about and voted on BUT I will guess one thing...no one was there to object to them.Why..? Because no one gets involved .!!!! Makes notes when you next council meeting is,make sure your there.Bring friends and make sure your voice in known.!! Tell your city council." Pass that law and you wont be in office any longer..".These laws that get passed and put on the books that hinder what we love to do is no one fault but our own.Where I lived a few years ago,the council was passing weird laws all the time but no one ever attended the meetings so no one ever knew what was being passed.They passed a law about how far you swimming pool could be from your house..!! Then starting handing out tickets to the people who built pools withing that certain area.MAN did these people get MAD but what could they do..? They never knew about the law because they never got involved..!!!!Make sure you know what your city is doing..!!!

30. Octamog

Octamog

Here's what you do....

1. Find out where the city enforcer lives.

2. Buy the ugliest run-down p.o.s. you can find.

3. Register and insure it.

4. Do whatever it takes, but get a handicap placard for it.

5. Park it in front of previously found enforcers place of residence.

6. Wait.

7. If it gets towed, hit the city with a lawsuit for violating the A.D.A. (American with Disabilities Act).

Handicap parking allows parking virtually anywhere except in a red zone, and without regard to time limits. You can park in yellow zone, metered zones (without paying), etc.