Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cinematic Journey and a Motor Vehicle Investigator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not really trying to get away with anything Frank. Since my work takes me to a crazy traffic area (50 miles one way), driving my old cars to work has become much less. Other than the occasional grocery getting or errands. The cars have been mostly used for cruising and an occasional car show.
    You guys make me feel like a "rebel" :)
    To me, running new plates on old cars look as bad as running radials and having tweed interior.
    Bottom line as I see it....
    If I am not using my vehicle to break laws....
    Why on earth would a police officer pull a cool old car over just to check for registration and license legitimacy.
    Your "shrimp eating" river rat rebel"

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

3. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

by petejoe
    "To me, running new plates on old cars look as bad as running radials and having tweed interior."

Lmao thats pretty good, I have to agree running new plates do look like shit, this my first year having actual historic plates on the roadster, I have always had used car dealer plates on it but decided it was time to properly cover the car insurance wise, no hassles yet and been driving it several times a week.
    Here is NJ's listing from there website

Historic vehicles
    General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
    At least 25 years old
    Used only for exhibition purposes or manufactured before 1945
    Specially registered with a QQ plate displayed on the rear of the vehicle

4. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

her in ga if the vehicle is 25 yrs old it can have historical plates. many old trucks,work trucks,and cars have them. o/t yrs ago i was stopped in mich in my 55 chevy,for no drivers door mirrow. i told him the car was reg in ga, he says he only wanted to look at my car.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well......if you didn't get a ticket any of the three times they are not generating income and Mtta isn't a depressed area. It's a college town. It's a relatively expensive college town.

It's one of the larger tourists destinations in the state. Something going on at least every other weekend. Place was packed as I passed through on the way back from the Cinematic after 11:00 pm with the Blues Festival they were having. The Roar on the River is a huge draw. Loads of fun watching the boats race. The Sternwheel Festival draws 20 or more Sternwheels every year and thousands of spectators.

Cost of living is relatively low even for a college town with the only real drawbacks being the occasional flood.

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Run regular plates and get Antique Car Insurance. No hassle with the plates BUT Insurance is limited to shows, parades etc I think.

8. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

Down here in Florida we are required one plate on the back. If you have your antique 1929 tag on the front you can get a ticket with the right officer. I think that is crap!!!!!!

9. BtDt

BtDt

burdon of proof is with her..does she know where all the car shows are..or events..and know if you were in-route or headding to another..shit in my little po-dunk town there is a different show every night..i drive MY car to where ever I want..because this is fuckin' AMERICA..enough said..so drag my ass into court and prove i wasnt going where my freedom allows me to go..BITCH!...did you get a ticket?... no! ..enough said.

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Was she driving her POV to write these warnings/cards, or was she driving a state vehicle? If it was her POV, then she was probably coming up with a method of writing off her mileage on her taxes, which, in this case, based on her own admission, would be tax fraud.

If she was 'on vacation' and driving the state's vehicle, then he was improperly using the state's vehicle for her own vacation purposes, which is also punishable as a "For Official Use Only" penalty, which is a federal offense, and also punishable by termination of her employment.

Just something to think about, should you want to 'play' with her. A few other comments are listed below:

Just to clarify, as an Oklahoma school teacher, I do have the authority to hand out detention off school grounds. If the students get into fights on their way home, they can still be suspended or punished accordingly. Also, if they are participating in a school function - i.e. a football game at a rival school - and get busted by a teacher for improper behavior or conduct, they can be held accountable for it.

Scrutinized, yes. Ticketed in a private parking lot, no. If they cannot and will not write up tickets or accident reports for issues that happen on private property, then this activity is purely harassment.

Actually, she has absolutely nothing to prove - you (or the 'offending driver') would be solely responsible for proving your case. You are not innocent until proven guilty. You are hereby found guilty when she writes the ticket/citation *UNTIL* you prove that you weren't doing anything wrong. You are the one who must take time off work, travel to court, present your defense, and then be found innocent. Unfortunately, it is a legal racket, which will eventually 'force' you to change to more 'legal' plates since it will be cheaper to run them and pay the additional fees rather than keep going to court to fight them.

It kind of reminds me of when my dad first got his used car dealer's license here in Oklahoma. He had a customer come in with a late '70s Buick with a dropped valve. Didn't know how much damage was done, so after the quoted worst case repair estimates were given to the customer, the customer offered to sell the car for $50. Dad bought it, repaired it (it was very minor repair bill), he stuck the car out in front of his shop with a for sale sign on it.

The problem started when a local wanna-be used dealer (who only lasted 4 months in business, BTW) turned him into the state for selling used cars without a license. Apparently there is a retired OKHP 'enforcer' who runs up and down the roads with the only job to enforce this used car law. The state actually filed an injunction AND had it served against the old man for this one car. The only thing he actually did wrong? He didn't put the car into his own name before turning around and offering it up for sale.

He talked to an attorney, and was told he could fight it and win, but deal with this again the next time he needed to sell a car. OR, he could go ahead and spend the roughly $600-1000 to get his used dealer's license and run the other guy out of business.

Well, he got is license, and with the first car he sold he made $1500 off of. Bought for $50, $100 worth of repair parts, sold for $1650!

Moral of the story is that he was harassed until he converted, then was better off because of it!

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

So how did it end Petejoe? Did you tell her to bug off (I highly doubt knowing the good law abiding boy you are)? Did she give you some type of warning? Are you still under investigation?

12. BtDt

BtDt

DAAAM yer good Gostrider..you an lawyer or something? if not im calling you anyway when they "harrass" me!!good way of looking at it and im sure if you explaned it to her that way nicely she would probably shrink away into the darkness..when i drive my YOM plated car im always on tour..going or coming from a show (cause my car is an attraction all on its own) i belong to the clubs are for seals C.C. and its over 54 years old so it is always being "repaired" even if it is on the side of the road..lol screw the MAN hahahha or in this case screw the WoooMan!

13. BtDt

BtDt

another good question on this subject..
    does ones states laws on this issue (where the car is registered) carry over to any state this car may be in for a show, tour, club meeting ..ect..? or are we subjected to each states law (on this issue)as we drive thru it on our way to the show..etc..?

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

She is lucky (or I am) :) that I wasn't there when she came up to my vehicles. I was just a good boy "eating my shrimp pasta" when I watched her from across the street enter the Private parking lot and attach "only" her business cards to my windows.
    No warning.... I called her number and she contacted me a week and half later asking me these questions.
    She indicated that "all model year tagged cars will be scrutinized"
    It was like a warning just to show that we are being "watched"
    Unmanned vehicles in a private parking lot, in my mind, is no reason to ask me anything that relates to her work.
    Now, if she wanted to know the specifics of the build....I would be happy to oblige.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Damn good question>>>
    I would imagine if its legal in the State of issuance its legal everywhere.

16. BtDt

BtDt

well now shes got all your information..knows where you live and what you drive..im sure she will be keeping tabs on you looking for her next oportunity. Print out the satatute (sp) take down the deffinitions of the following words. Exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses. There is no way unless you cant think that day. That she would be able to ticket you, and feel she is really doing her job with good intentions. write the definitions down on the back of the statute and work them into your conversation with her. and have whitnesses.(they hate that as much as crooks). and if ticketed bring them with you. they hate hassel just as much as we do. if you have any friends who are lawyers..ask them for their interpretation and write it down..most cops dont really have a firm grasp for the written law. (truth from a cop i know) thats why we have lawyers and judges ,

17. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

He's on double secret probation...

Vance

18. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

snags?? sounds like too big of a hassle for me. who has the same hp as the original engine??

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Hagerty never has a booth at nsra events

20. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I run YOM plates on my '60. 1960 Ohio plates are yellow with blue lettering. Very close to the DUI plates of yellow and red. I'm suprised I don't get pulled over everytime I have the car out, but I bet every officer does a double-take.

I do know a guy that almost got a ticket for historical plates; only thing that saved him was that he had a flyer for the event he was heading to that day.

Lou

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

Damn. Now I'm feeling underscrutinized.:( I drove from Florida to
    the Cinematic. Antique FL plate on the back and a bogus FL YOM
    on the front with a spare MI YOM stuffed under the front seat. Spent the next 5 days driving all over the eastern half of Ohio including
    a stop in Marietta. Wasn't stopped once.:confused: I was really kind of
    hoping for some confrontation, I always hated having to run a
    front plate when I lived there and have tickets to prove it(well
    the tickets are for not having a front bumper either). Hell, I even
    made a lap through the cemetary in my hometown and left a
    patch of rubber by Harvey Firestones tomb.
    Is there an age limit for hoodlums in Ohio or something else I'm
    doing wrong?