Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chrysler brake drum Am i doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I saw a very clever German puller in a video a while back. It had a 5 bolt hub that bolted on, with a hydraulic jack in the middle. If you wanted to make your own puller as 48Jeep did you could cut down an old front hub, weld on some brackets and use your own hydraulic jack. I'm sure it would work real slick, better than a screw type.

Racer29 likes this.
  2. Update on the Chrysler brake drum. SUCCESS.When the in pact gave out i got a huge pipe wrench with a long pipe to go over it and brought down the big sledge hammer from the shed. I did like you all said tighten, then hit , tighten then hit. Just when I thought the puller would break I hit it and POW it popped off. Cleaned it up and lubed up the moving parts. Here is what I had to use. LOL. Bruce. 006.JPG

Arabie777, brad2v, rjones35 and 5 others like this.
  3. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

We were all pullin for you

There is a Madness to my Methods

belair and Bruce Fischer like this.
  4. EXCELLENT!

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  5. LOL! :D Well it looks like your "F'n" "H" was "B" enough after all! :rolleyes:

6. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Bruce,
    We knew you could do it, with enough patience, perseverance, determination and muscle, and likely a few choice words to help things along.:D And the right tools help out a lot too.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are times when brute force and ignorance are the best solution. Congratulations.

8. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Once again,if it cain't be fixed with a big fuckin hammer it must be a electrical problem

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you got it! They can be buggers to get loose. Now for a couple replies to quotes:

As someone mentioned earlier, if it came off without a puller, it wasn't on tight enough.

Again, as someone mentioned earlier, these were some of the best brakes available in 1956. You need to know how to adjust them properly. I regularly drive a 1956 New Yorker at highway speeds, on drives ranging from short local stuff up to over a thousand miles, and have never had a concern nor a scare related to the brakes on the car.

Bruce Fischer and 57 Fargo like this.
  10. I was going to suggest an air chisel with a flat punch if you were still SOL. Play that baby around on the flat surface of the drum close to the tapered hub. But you did it... I take back all those bad things I said about you...

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

When all else fails, use a bigger hammer. We took this to extremes by welding handles to a 500 pound piece of steel that we would hang from a long chain using a forklift or a crane. Nothing could resist BERTHA.

12. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Glad to read you got it off, bet you were a happy guy

13. LongT

LongT

I know the feeling when you finally get that hard/impossible to remove part off!! Congratulations!!!

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Rusty, I would clean that puller up and keep it.Bruce.

15. ClayMart, yes after I went up to the garden shed and grabbed the log splitter sledge hammer. LOL. Bruce.

16. Ebbsspeed, that is why I am going to recheck the driver side again.I don't want the rear tire passing me going down the road . LOL. Bruce.

17. Engine man I dated a girl named BERTHA.She was a BIG girl and scared me.I didn't date her long.LOL.Bruce.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yep, when you are ready to give up, the drum gives in! Exactly what mine did, almost gave up, but that last blow with the BFH did it. Now you should try and replace the axle shaft bearings and seals too. I used a 3 or 4 inch threaded pipe coupling and a threaded end cap. Drill a hole in the cap so that it fits over the axle threads and use the axle nut to pull the axle out. You will probably need the big long pipe for this too.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha I already kept it a long time. But you are right about the cleaning up. I should oil it too. I don't use it that much anymore, it has been sitting on a shelf in the garage for at least 5 years.

saltflats and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Now we know were your HAMB name comes from. {Rusty Tool}

saltflats, pat59 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We got the name from an old 70s song.

Bruce Fischer and saltflats like this.
  22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I got here too late! LOL

The tool that Squirrel posted is the ideal tool to use, made by Snap On and Blue Point. I have one, love it!

A good tip, always put a penny between the axle end and the puller. The 1¢ sacrifice is a cheap investment vs. buggered up threads. I learned that from a Brilliant 83 year old that taught me more than any school has.

Great Job Gene on giving Mr Mopar correct information. I was scratching my head until 7 1/4" popped into it, and then
    I was like ah ha, that must be what he is talking about! LOL

Glad that you got it Bruce! Please don't hesitate to contact me if you get stuck on something regarding your 1956. I owned a Mopar Restoration shop for over a decade and I have seen a thing or two over the years and will be more than happy to offer advise if you should require it.

Regards,
    Classiccarjack

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Thanks Bruce.

24. In the end: Bruce 1, Stuck Drum 0.

classiccarjack and Truck64 like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

The really sad part is that after he checks the brakes, puts it all back together, in a couple of years it might, or might not be just as difficult to remove again! The concept of pulling it apart once, and then it will come apart easier the next time, often does not apply to these brake drum hubs, at least in my experience.

I had my fill of the tapper hubs in the late 60s. Been changing out the rear ends ever since without giving it a second thought. Gene

27. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

28. Well got the brakes back together and feels like now I have a good brake pedal. I rebuilt the carb on got it back on .Now the motor runs a lot smoother .The carb, has rust in it. I really think the car did sit for a while. Cant wait to take it out for a test spin this weekend and see how she does .The top and bottom radiator hoses look like they will need replacing and I will do a flush while doing that so if everything turns out O.K. I will be sanding her down very soon for paint. Bruce. 003.JPG

29. Bruce I new you could do it, you were always persistent to Finish a Job.
    When you were on ebay Motors Chat room.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

pat59 and Bruce Fischer like this.