Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler 354 Build Thread!!! It's Alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Feb 20, 2012.

1. OK guys, the machine shop wants to order valve springs, so I need your opinions on camshaft selection – both manufacturer and grind. In the mean time I will of course check the HEMI Tech archive.

It'll be a street motor, used mostly for cruising and driving long distances to car events. Occasional drag strip duty. Would like to run run 87 or 89 octane gas. It's bored .040, 9:1 compression, stock distributor with electronic conversion, 2x4 intake and 2 small 4 barrels. (I don't have the carbs yet). I'd like the engine to be reliable in traffic and not have to idle at 1,200 RPM. Behind the motor will be a GM V8 T5 and a 4.11 rear with 31 inch rear tires. The car weighs about 2,500 pounds. Overall goal is very strong off-idle to say 5,000 RPM performance.

I know what I've described sounds like it calls for a stock cam, but I think I can get a little more performance from an upgrade and FWIW, I love the sound of a choppy idle.

2. George

George

At 9:1 it should run fine on 87, and I'd agree with stock or just slightly hotter. If all else fails call Bob Walker and get an opinion. I did go with a Howard's Cam & grind on his recomendation. He'll ask you all of the details you posted.

3. Any updates, Dave?

4. Well that's something!
    Has the machine shop been working on your heads yet? Hardened seats?

5. Welp, I sold the 283 and finally picked out a cam for the 354. It won't be long now 'til I bring her home.

[​IMG]

6. Can't read the specs there - Lift? Duration? Lobe separation? Answers man we need answers!

7. [​IMG]

8. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

that is the Isky 280 Mega cam with 232 advertised duration problably 108 lobe seperation, i put that cam in my 354 10-1 comp ratio.8x2 dragstar intake in my roadster, had it out last week for a test run and love it,has lots of bottom pull but i have 3.50 ratio and a close to 2800 sthall. no hesitation there. sounds awsome, if i knew how to post a video you could here it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  9. Nice! That should pull really nicely with the dual quads. What are you using for headers?

10. If you aren't going to build a set of headers with properly sized tubes at a length that will create a scavenge, I would reccomend running a set of Truck Manifolds like these repros from Hot Heads

[​IMG]

Not as racy looking, but no worries about sealing, and I would think just as effective as a shorty "Header". Shorties tend to have a short collector which is very turbulent, so any flow advantage to the individual tubes up to that point is negated.

Just my $.02

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I think the truck manifolds are bigger and have 2 1/2" pipes.

Ago

12. Sweet, Dave!
    Gotta love cast aluminum.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. BashingTin

BashingTin

That does sound good!

15. 73RR

73RR

Wow! 8 carbs and it actually idles....very nice.

16. Yeah, I was amazed too, sounded awesome, although it picked up a couple hundred RPMS after he cleaned it out a little . . .

17. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i have hadded last weekend a full exaust under car coming off from my lakepipes, was getting too much fumes in car and very loud(law don't like that around here) ,my 9 year old son will be driving often with me, will send you a video as soon as i get it this weekend.

18. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Yep, it sounds pretty good. Just added it to my YouTube favorites.

19. Short block is assembled! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Very nice, Dave!
    Do you have all the parts now to finish it up?

21. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

what pistons are you running? engine looks like my engine did this winter ,354 with Ross custom pistons 10 to 1 ratio

Attached Files:

22. They're .040 over 9 to 1 Egge cast pistons. Yours look like they have a lot more dome than mine.

23. farmer12

farmer12

That sounds awesome. Music to my ears!

24. 73RR

73RR

Have you done a compression check with these pistons?

25. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

here is a picture of the exauste i built and turn out i made from 4 inch tubing and got chromed.

Attached Files:

26. I checked the compression – it's going to be right at 9:1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 4tford

4tford

It's coming along nicely. Those headers look familiar, like mine.

28. What did your chamber size measure?