Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler 354 Build Thread!!! It's Alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Thank you for the pictures 'Mo – I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure about the lake headers yet for a number of reasons. First, I already have a really nice set of exhaust manifolds, second, the lake headers on the 283 are loud enough (even with baffles) that my son won't ride in the car, and third, my wife doesn't enjoy the smell of the exhaust fumes.

But I really do like the way they look and sound. ;)

2. Remember this is your car, build it the way you want it to be. And it's not loud and you can't get brain damage from exhaust, only from having the rear wheel roll over your head!

3. DJM

DJM

Dave,
    I am enjoying your thread. Im building a 331. Just so you know. Not opposed to letting the WC3D go. Curious why you dont do a tube style. I know its not vintage but it is cost effective. I am also curious about which machine shop. Like to offset grind crank and use pontiac or chevy rods.
    SF
    Dave

4. George

George

Unless you're useing modern carbs, 3 three bolts won't really be enough carb.

5. They're Olds J2 Rochesters.

6. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Outstanding! nice to see it all coming together.
    -Doug

7. 'Mo

'Mo

8. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Chevy pistons in a Hemi aint gonna work guys.Cheyy pistons are for same side valves,Hemis are on top and bottom.Have your friend at Ross cut a set,should only be about $700 and will be forged.You get what you pay for,and with a Hemi there is no shortcuts.My.002

9. 'Mo

'Mo

I've been scarce lately, but will probably go to Ballos sometime next week.
    I'll peep-out the corners!

10. A little update from the machine shop – They've been getting in parts here and there, but still waiting on the stainless steel valves. Work is about to begin on the heads.

The valve guides and seats are being installed as I type this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Thanks for the Hemi Build thread Dave. You've inspired me to get started on mine. I've got a '56 354 that I've had for probably 10-12 years. It used to reside in a '36 Chevy PU that a guy in my home town drove around. He was an older, quiet brooding type of guy that every one of us younger guys both feared and admired, although I'm not sure why. :confused:

Anyway, right place/right time and I got a chance to purchase it and jumped on it. Have been waiting for the right time and right ride to put it in... tired of waiting for the right ride although a couple of perfect candidates have come and gone over the past few years.

We took the '32 to a car show a few months ago and although I don't usually enter I did for the heck of it. Didn't place and didn't expect to, but when I told my wife it was hard to compete with a 5 window with a hemi she said "well then we need to get a hemi! Don't you have one in the shed?" So now that I've got the wife's blessing to build this thing I gotta get crackin before she changes her mind! :rolleyes:

Anyway, sorry to get long-winded... love the thread and can't wait for the next installment!

P.S. I used to live in Lebanon, TN. I see hemi stuff on C-list from time to time. Must be your guy...

12. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Looking forward to some more updates Dave.

13. The FedEx man came to see me today. He brought me a present. A shiny new set of .040 Egge pistons. :)

[​IMG]

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You've nearly got yourself a HEMI!!! This is really going down this winter huh?

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Heading back the 18th. I'll check and see what I can find. I don't know what you're going all week on me. I mean a 3x2 is gonna look kinda puny compared to that big old hemi. I think a 6x2 is in order. Just kidding, I know you're trying to keep it cheap.

16. Valve guides are installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the valves will be fitted soon.

[​IMG]

17. I just bought this from kool32. Thanks man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cool, Dave!
    Does that mean adapter plates, or good bye tri-power?

19. Didn't think I'd hear you say that...
    So what carbs are you gonna use?

20. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome intake, can't wait to see it all coming together.

21. I'll most likely run two fours progressively. I'm doing my research now. I've read that dual 390 Holleys, 450 Holleys and 500 Edelbrocks will work, but they all have their issues to overcome. When I plug my numbers into a CFM calculator, I found that my combo only requires a little under 700 CFM.

I also need to learn more about Carter AFBs and the factory 2x4 carbs that came on Buicks and Cadillacs. (I know of a stash of Caddy 4 barrel carbs.:))

That said, if I come across a good deal on a WC3D I may still run the three Rochesters.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  22. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

if you are still looking for an intake, i have one in the for sale department it is a Horne/Cragar 4x2, have fun this winter with your build, i am doing the same over the winter with a 354 and 8x2 dragstar intake,

Attached Files:

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking great Dave!

24. 4tford

4tford

I'm running the same intake on my 392 with two 600 cfm eldebrock's and progressive linkage. It is very responsive no bogging. I run one inch spacers under the carbs. You want matched carbs for your app. out of the box so if you go eldebrock let them know it is for dual four application.

Attached Files:

25. Ha Ha, I saw that intake for sale – I can't play in your league.:eek:

Thanks for the advice Jeff.

That's good to know. I'm leaning toward 500 Edelbrocks. Are you running the back carb with a choke as the primary?

26. I agree the carbs need to be the same but what do you mean by a matched set? I have a pair of Pontiac AFB's on blown 354 setup progressive. Wondering what I didn't match.

27. 4tford

4tford

They are specifically calibrated setup for dual quad use out of the box means less tuning required.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  28. 4tford

4tford

Yeah, the back carb is the primary carb and I have a manual choke carb. Eldebrock has special calibrated carbs for their dual quad power packages. contact them about them it should save some tuning time.

29. That's half the fun! I used parts from a number of other oem style AFB's to set them up to work well with the blower.