Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler 25" into a Plymouth 23" bay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodStRace, Aug 15, 2009.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yes, it's another swap question, and it's one where I have an engine already and the answer may point to purchasing the car... but it's not a SBC or another V8.

I got an extra Chrysler flathead 6 when I bought my 47. It's a 251 C-38. It's complete, but unknown condition. That's the motor.

There is a 47 Plymouth Sedan for sale locally. That's what I was looking for before I bought the Chrysler. Problem is, the motor is "stuck".

According to this thread, you can swap in the Chrysler 25 inch flatty in place of the Plymouth 23 inch flatty if you move the radiator forward.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4224569

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has done this swap and can give a blow-by-blow on it. If it's a simple bolt-in swap and the trans and clutch and everything will fit up, the front mount will work (move it forward and drill holes?) and you just need to move the radiator forward, I'd be willing to go for it. If it's going to require a bunch of work (fabrication, welding, machine work, special parts) I'd rather go for the V8 swap (I've got a late model van donor and a warmed over 360 too).

So, plym46, blueskies, hkestes, and the other mopar gearheads here, have you done this swap? What had to be done?

2. 73RR

73RR

This has popped up several times over at www.p15-d24.com and IIRC there is little that is technical in the swap, mostly stuff like just moving the radiator.

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Look up Don Coatney's posts and albums on p15-d24, He put a 251 in his Plymouth along with a T-5 and cruises everywhere 70-75 no sweat. He's your answer man!

4. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

That's what my Dad and I are doing right now!

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yes you can do it. Moving the rad forward is straight forward. The sheet metal shroud in front gets modified or tossed, and you have to watch out that the rad top tank does not interfere with the front underside of the hood. IOW a lot of annoying little things but no real show stoppers. You can also gain back a little space if you run an electric pusher in front of the rad. Egads, that is not traditional advice but I said it anyway.

The Chrysler motors looks a little nicer with the fancy script and all atop the head. This is a good thing you're doing.

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

BTW, an advantage of running that 6 instead of a V8 is that with a V8 you will have to swap the rear out too, because your ebrake is on your tranny.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I did this in 1959. Plopped it in there and drilled new holes through the mount holes into the front crossmember. Just watch out for the brake line crossover. It's been 50 years but as I remember I set the mount square on the brake line and smashed it. Check that out.