Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome stripping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BROCK ART STUDIO, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hey ,
    Anybody got any " backyard - bonfire - washtub full O acid " type tricks for stripping chrome .
    I have about 5 sets of old hot rod wheels {with bad chrome } that I would like to be able to paint or patina .

Will a chrome shop "strip only " ? Any body tried it ?

Thanks ,
    Jeff Brock

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I'd be very interested in this too... I have a set of Chrome wheels that are shot, but it's nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix!

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Yes, a chrome shop will strip only, and very inexpensive too. The acids needed to strip chrome are pretty potent, I wouldn't mess with them.

4. most will strip only...trust the pros and let them do it

5. Thats cool !
    I tried sand blasting with 125psi ... not good ... pretty worn out media though .
    I'll make some calls .

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Thay use the chrome tank and revurse the chrome process. So the chrome goes from the work to the anode.

7. i worked in a chrome shop for three years. its really cheap and quick. but i wouldnt try to mess with the chemicals, nasty and dangerous stuff.

8. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

the chrome shop reverses the direction of the current and the chrome comes off. should be cheap , unless it fills tank with shit and ruins chemicals, then it would cost more. do not attempt in the back yard. cadiilac dave

9. I got an axle and wishbones stripped.... cost me $22NZ (about $15US).