Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome plating service or diy?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by sevenhills1952, Jan 16, 2019.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Where's the best place that chrome plates small parts, metal and plastic? Years ago I inquired, found a few good places but a lot have gone out of business. I should have had especially plastic parts played years ago. Some cars we have for example the plastic instrument gauge cluster parts of it are chrome plated.
    Next question is anyone plating at home?
    About 20 years ago I regret buying plating equipment from a fellow getting out of the business...and it was a great price.
    Plating like most things takes skill and there's a lot to it.
    The few people I've contacted recently who do plate plastic are really expensive.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2. There was a really long thread on the main board a few years ago about "plating" plastic and testing all the spray-on chromes. The moderators locked it down for not being trad, but there was a lot of good info in it. I wouldn't spray-on chrome anything that is steel (Jivin Jer had the inside garnish mouldings on his amazing '41 Ford done with spray on chrome, they looked amazing for about 2 weeks before they peeled), but like you said, dashboard parts and small stuff like horn buttons etc. were chrome plated plastic since the 50s.