Register now to get rid of these ads!

chrome dash in 1952 Plymouth Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ojai/jan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi,

I am recreating a High School car (graduated 1958), a 1952 plymouth Suburban wagon.
    I have a new chassis from Art Morrison, complete with Strange 9" and Wilwood brakes with air bags. Will use 15" steel wheels so I can use some 1956 Chrysler "spinner" hubcaps I like.
    Bought a 392 (now 417) early hemi from Jr. Thompson. Jr. got his buddy Art Carr to do a 727 for me and I bought a Gearvendors.
    I got the body all apart and am getting it ready to remove it from the original chassis (doors, tailgate, glass, etc are off).
    I am getting a big box of stuff ready to go the the chrome shop.
    Here's my question: I ran across a thread here about dashes and saw one that was chrome plated. I would like to hear some comments about plating the dash in this car. I asked a friend of mine who is an old time hot rodder and he said "no way". I kind of like the idea, and would welcome your thoughts.

Jan in Ojai, CA

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It would look neat, and is certainly a period detail. Brilliant shiny metal on a dash isn't a great idea in sunshine, though; the sun reflections can really dazzle you. My '51 Victoria has (factory) chrome or stainless garnish moldings around the windshield, and at the wrong time of day they will really zap you in the eyes.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I knew a guy that chromed his dash. Riding in his car towared the sun convinced me that I would never do that.

4. Ebert

Ebert

I kike your idea as well but would be concerned about glare depending in the angles.

Sounds like a bitchin' ride.

Good luck!

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

You live in "sunny" California. Bad idea.

6. I would seriously consider having the dash powder-coated in a nearly-chrome finish they have available - the look without the glare!

7. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Don't think you'd like the glare, my roadster had a polished center in the steering wheel and the sun glare would hit you just like a flash bulb iwould damn near blind you.

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Chrome dash........forget get it....bad idea.

CRUISER :cool:

9. Tony

Tony

The idea's cool but like what's been mentioned glare would probable be a big problem.
    I painted the dash on my 53 chevy gloss white, and that at time's will blind me depending on how the sun hit's it..I can't imagine how bad chrome would be.

10. I'm not opposed to it. I have a '51 Plymouth that I plan on chroming my dash. I'll learn to live with all the "bad" traits. The final product is well worth some of the drawbacks.

Good luck on your decision.

BloodyKnuckles