Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping my Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Jan 5, 2008.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a 1950 Mercury that I have been working on forever and a year. First when I started on it my plans were to leave it unchopped. So the focus was on fixing the rust and dents.

Now as I get closer to the end, I am wanting to chop the top down alittle. I like the proportions of something mild. I don't want the "bubble" look of the stock roof and also am not interested in the "squashed" look, not that there is anything wrong with either.

So what is the formula for a mild hair cut? Would 3 inches from the front and an inch more in the back be a good start?

I have searched and found many pictures of what I like and what I do not like but hard to tell from the pictures how much was removed. I used this car as example on another thread about the grill but I also like the proportions of the chop.

So, what do you think? I have not started cutting yet so easy to make changes now.

Thanks. Neal

Attached Files:

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

4" in front 4.5" out back. Seems to give it a nice taper. -stick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. showrod

showrod

neal my merc is chopped 3" front 4" rear it was chopped long ago [not by me] I measured a stock height merc center of the side windows to figure this out. heres a pic I wish it was chopped 4" and 5" rear for a little more sinister look and shorter wing windows .but I still love it

Attached Files:

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Do you have a picture straight on from the side? Thanks.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the gray one was my buddies merc we cut it 3" in the front and about 3.5" in the rear if i remember correctly. when you go to cut it, cut out 2" if its not enough cut out some more and so on... its easier to go slow and and trim more out than it is to put back in and replace. try and watch your flow of the roof line and the door tops, ive seen a few mercs that didn t look right because of not enough metal was taken out of the rear. like a wedge chop.

Attached Files:

Spoggie likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of my favorites, It was chopped by Paul Harper
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how many inches he took out but it is right on.

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

hey bumpstick what headlight rings on on that 51'

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Those are stock.

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is 4 in front and 5 in back..

[​IMG]

-Abone.

10. Here's a shot of mine. 4 1/2" chop...

[​IMG]

11. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

If you want a slight chop, i would do a 2" chop and maybe decrown the roof a little. 3" seems to be fairly standard, with 4-5" being a pretty radical chop. A 3" chop will leave you with about a 9" windsheild.

12. showrod

showrod

here is the profile you asked for.....

Attached Files:

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

with a 3" chop the windshield would be a little bit larger than 9" closer to 11" or so

14. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

Your right, i was thinking of the door glass, my windsheild was around 12".
    '

15. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

I am in the process of chopping my 53 chevy now. I looked at a lot of chops and decided to chop 5" front and 6" rear. it is working out good but I have noticed that the mercs obviously were shorter height windows to start with and to me the chop looks good at about 3 to 3 1/2. As soon as I get the chevy chopped I am going to chop my 50 merc. The guys that have posted have some really nice looking chops. you can't go wrong with their advise about cutting 2" to start because it is hell if you cut too much and have to raise it up. Been there done that! Please post later with what you decide and pictures!Thanks

16. thisbugger

thisbugger

[​IMG]

what's wrong with unchopped?

17. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

On second thought Bad Bob's with a 4 1/2 looks pretty damn wicked.

18. Thanks Bobby! SlddnMatt chopped it for me.

There's nothing wrong with unchopped,Bugger. I love stock Mercs,always have...

Here's a nice side by side comparison...

[​IMG]

19. so.ill.

so.ill.

nothing looks better than a merc chopped right...good work...hats off:)

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Nothing at all. I think that lines on these Merc are great. To me, when they get lowered the top starts to look like a bubble, if shaved a little the flow looks better to me.

Here is a stock height roof that I think hits it nice. Well proportioned. It is Sterling Ashby's, as you can see by the plate.

Neal

Attached Files:

21. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Thanks for the side by side, now I am getting ichy

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Is that the same one at the bottom? Mr Mercs car? Was it later chopped?

23. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

No, different car. Mr. Merc's is a 49 or 50. Looks like the one pictured is 51. Sterling's car is his wife's, Kathy's, car. Was black years back and rebuild about 6 years ago. From talking with them, pretty sure it won't be chopped. Made some comment that it was nice to be able to see where you are going. :)

Neal

24. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah obviously it appears to be a different year. Not so much a kustom 51 grill into a 50 or such, but definately the other way around. My last 51 had a 50 grill and cavity, so will my current 51 (49 cavity actually in this one most likely, unless I find a 50....want to save the 49 for a 49) I didnt notice the front bumper though, that is 51 and I didnt look at the rear window of Mr Mercs car.

License plate caught my eye though, for some reason. Looked similar. Looks like Mr Mercs car is a 50 btw if those parking lights are an indication.