Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopped Glass Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Sep 22, 2005.

1. I have heard that there is somebody out there that sells windshield glass in pre-chopped sizes... but I can't find him! Anyone ever hear of this? I'd be looking for one-piece '50 Olds windshield for a chopped 50 Fleetline. Or, for that matter does anyone know where I can get '50 Olds glass at all?

Thanks!

2. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

3. old beet

old beet

440HUDSON aka Bob's Antique Auto Glass makes the stock Olds W/S. Don't know anyone that pre cuts them............LODBEET

4. Thanks for the links. I wonder if they can custom make glass. I guess I better call 'em and find out!

I had heard of someone selling them already cut in one inch increments though, especially for chops....

I want to chop it soon, before it gets too cold to work on it. I have a few more things to figger out first. This would be my first chop. I have it all figured out in my head, and I've got lots of photos of other guys doing it, I just need to work u pthe cojones to cut the top off of it!
    The real wildcard is the glass. I think the windshield is my only major glass obstacle. But reast assured, I will document the whole thing and post it for the HAMB.

I ought to try a HAMB chop. There's never been a midwest HAMBchop as far as I know. I went and read about the other HAMB chops, and I think I can pull it off... Say, you wouldn't want to come and take notes wouldja? :)

5. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Good idea, hamb chop.

I would like to help and take notes, if only I wasn't thousands of miles away.

I would like to chop my car as well, I wanna go the markx route with the deep rear fenders. But that is probably further down the road.

Currently in the middle of my own "v8 nightmare" :D, if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to the chop.

6. Heh heh! Oh yeah, I know. :)

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a one-piece from Bob. Should have it in the next week to 10 days. Sweet!

7. brewsir

brewsir

screw it...just cut it yourself. Sandblast it to size and have a glass shop polish the edges. It really isn't that hard. Or you can pay someone to do your work for ya!

8. kropduster

kropduster

how do ya go about sandblasting glass, just like metal? and how do you make your fine line? mask or what?

I need to cut the glass for the 53s windshield and rather try do it myself than pay somebody else to break it.

9. brewsir

brewsir

That is my attitude also (I have broken a few ...)
    The way I do it is to mask off the area you want to keep with a couple of layers of duct tape. Then gently blast away at the edge of the tape line keeping the nozzle moving so you do not heat up any one area. (also make sure your sand has been strained so there are no small rocks...30 mesh is fine) do one side and flip it over when ya get to the plastic layer then do the other side...cut the laminate with a blade and take the finished glass to a glass guy to get the edge polished...or you can probably polish it with a fairly fine grit on a flapper wheel and angle grinder...but I haven't tried it yet....glass guy charges about 20 bucks.. sometimes nothing at all if you are in good! Install with a new rubber!