Register now to get rid of these ads!

Choping an "A"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-40, Apr 3, 2008.

1. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Yesterday I stayed home from work so I could chop my "A". So far it looks pretty awesome. I just wanted to get some feedback on some of the harder stuff, to make sure I get it right. I'm not to sure on window channels, Quarter windows,windshield studs pivots, where to start? I would love to hear from you guys. I know you have been there, done this. Thanks:)

2. Pics might help.

3. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Sorry, here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. sammyg

sammyg

5. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

looks great and I really dig the 40 p.u back there, the hardest part chopping my A was getting the A pillars to line back up and still be able to use the top hinge because I took about 6" out of mine .

6. Looks great Corey! Now get it finished!!!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

8. NOTCH

NOTCH

I have one in my shop that I chopped last week and the dificult part was
    just the time making relief cuts around window area's and welding them up.
    Your chop is looking good now weld the basterd up!!!!

9. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

There is something about a chopped A coupe that just DOES IT for me!!! Lookin good mang!

10. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I took 5" out. Does anyone know how much to take out of the header? I could guess and check, but I'm doing it myself. That top is way heavier than it looks : )

11. Just measure how far each post sticks out, add the two meassurments together, and theres your number!!!

12. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Is it really that easy? What about the taper on your post, fitting the windshield?

13. bluestang67

bluestang67

Pie cuts like this then bring in taper to match . You will have to pie front and back side .Length of cut may vary a little depending on how much you chop . Finished post after grind. You will also have to place a relief cut in rear at radius where top comes together . You know all this info i got from Rolfe's chop on his coupe he was very detailed and i just followed his lead. My Sedan came out like it was from factory allmost .

Attached Files:

14. bluestang67

bluestang67

Here is link right to his Rolfe's Coupe build great info . Very detailed with all the pics you'll need to under stand and do a easy chop on a Model A .

http://classicroad.com/modelA/index.htm

15. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Great. Thank you

16. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

17. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

18. Any more updates?

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a tits car! I love mean chops on '30-'31 coupes!!! I like your p/u too! Once you've practiced up on this coupe you could chop that pick em up 3 or 4 inches too......keep at it!

20. Elrod

Elrod

Model A closed cars all share the same cowl, so yes. You have to relief the A piller.

I only chopped mine 3 inches, so I cut the cowl opening below the windshield slide arm post. That way, when the roof went down, I didn't have to relocate the post. it was already attached to the roof.

Then just relieve down the A pillar and push the lower part in to match. Get fancy and relieve above and below the horizontal cut you made to remove the top to make the taper more gradual. I did not relief cut the A piller on the back side of the door jamb. The garnish moulding covers this slight line up problem. My 3 inches wasn't that noticable. Your 5 might be more noticable.

I relief cut in my window channels above the chop and widened the window channel on top so the window would raise up more smoothly.

You don't need to recut the door glass, but you do need to recut the windshield, quarter windows and back glass

I relieved in the quarter windows below the chop as well.

No pie cutting should be required to fit the roof back on to the body. There is no taper in this section. If you line it up just right and make a few small tack welds, the curve around the back will match exactly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

any progress? i am doing the same chop and have the back looking good but the b piller is off like a 1/16,did you have any trouble in that area?