Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHOP TOP OWNERS: What do you run for a headliner?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, May 22, 2008.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm to the point of thinking about doing my interior, and besides visors-and where to mount them-I'm thinking about my headliner. What do you all use?!? I don't have any top bows or anything, so I figured I'd just put some of this fuzzy fabric on the ceiling and call it done. Maybe there's a better way that's still cost efficient? I've heard custom headliners can cost $1500 or so, which is way out of my budget. So I thought I'd see what y'all are using!

Right now, I'm using homemade lizard skin and some lobucrod insulation on my roof, so with the aluminum foil backed jute on the floor I kinda look like a rolling baked potato! :D

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm getting ready to flip the cab upside down and lay in a hard top fiberglass resin and poly fabric headliner that will be painted the color of the truck....no sure if you can do it whilst the peice is "upside down" (or right side up per-say) seems that you could but it'll take way more time and make more mess...I just dont like the look of fabric headliners on chopped cars (there are exceptions....they are usually the $1500-2000 headliners though...) mine will cost about $40 in materials and some time to lay and smooth and have the same finish as the exterior....more crap to keep finger prints off of I guess...

3. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

bringing this one back as the search proved to work, just no info....
    Im thinking headliners too... what are ya using?

4. I made plywood "bows" 6 I think. Then streched and stapled heavy cotton to them. Then applied 2 layers of fiberglass. Smoothed out the rough spots. Put 1/4" dense foam on that. Then the leather.
    That's the readers digest version.
    It took about 200 man hours and looks great.

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Now, this is the kinda stuff i'm not telling my wife in advance.

"Yeah, just the headliner is gonna take me 6 weeks to make, and I gotta turn the car upside down first."

:eek: :D :eek:

6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

sounds cool! Photos please? Im limited on head room and need something thin that doesn't hang down much

7. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

Had mine custom fitted by a guy in Romulus Michigan. does good work,,looks better than bare metal! lol

8. A good upholsterer can do a custom one for your vehicle.

As for the fiberglass ones no need to flip the body just do the fiberglass work on the outside of the roof then cut it into four pieces and fit to the inside and glass it back together.

9. fras2

fras2

Gave this a try. I will see how I like it as time goes by.

Attached Files:

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I don’t know what kind of car you have. I have a 28 Ford Tudor with a 5 inch chop. I sit on Camaro buckets so no head room problem. But if you have a head room problem and your car bucks like a bronco over bumps consider some foam above your head under the head liner. An upholsterer can make a headliner a lot cheaper than your estimate.

11. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

I just got done gluing the foam backed fuzzy fabric on my roof. Not hard to do and turned out ok. I am not that invested in it looking perfect but wanted to quiet it down a little. Just sitting in the car I could tell a difference and I am sure the wind noise on the roof will be less. about $15.00 for fabric and $8.oo for glue