Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chop Top - 1934 5w coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Oct 21, 2015.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yesterday started to chop customers 1934 Ford.

Aulis
    www.auliz.fi - hot rod shop

Attached Files:

Fairlane500, Stogy, bonesy and 2 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Nice look!

5. Looks good....question...where did you get that big banner in the background?

6. zjerry

zjerry

Looking Nice..

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

love it Auliz! But then again,I'm partial to those sexy 33-34 chopped fords!

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. I like the banner also......

9. badshifter

badshifter

No bracing on the inside to hold everything square and solid while it gets cut up?

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Banner they made here in Seinajoki city Finland. Its light weight and weatherproof too. They said that banner will not be good quality, because start was only small black and white picture in old hot rod book. I do not care if its "unclear",....looks like more old, not too hitech.

I have bring 2pc banners to CA too. I do not know how much those are there, but for example this one, 2.2m x 5.5m, something like $450.00 for me.

I had tubes inside before welded back, and cross measurements on paper. You know those old Fords, Originally are diameters are very very big tolerances. And +80years on the road, accidents, rost, damages,....
    Doors not fit, Deck lid not fit,.... Junk junk and junk.

But all are possible to fix. , just weld, heat, hammer, englishwheel and time.
    This car I only chop top, chop door carnish and push out. Owner can continue what ever he want to do.
    I have bought that car from CA and sold him 2y ago. Good Project to make it hot rod.

Aulis

Stogy and clem like this.
  11. brady1929

brady1929

Yes. That banner is cool too.

12. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

A-pilars 80% ready.
    Rear "letter box" installed.

-6" top, -4" rear window.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Fairlane500, 296moon, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  14. Pete

Pete

So sexy! Good job

15. nightmoves

nightmoves

Serious chops on '34s speak ,
    Evil, mean, wicked, and nasty.
    I dig it.

16. Looks great Aulis, love the look of a heavily chopped coupe.

Graham Hood likes this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Maybe I buy 1933-34 coupe,....some day.

Cabin is big (huge), if compare my 1932 5w cabin.

Today I made quarterwindow to driverside. I used pass.side quarter window frame and turned it 90decrees. Of course need to cut it 5pieces, but fits better when cross frames.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Fairlane500, Stogy and v-v like this.
  18. 117harv

117harv

19. Hey my fellow Finn brother . . . nice work! I too have a 34 five window that will get chopped in the very near future by my friend Tom at Flop Customs. Everybody has their own chop preference and style - all are fine by me. The car above looks to be modeled after the early SoCal Bonneville coupe style --> A-pillars laid back, heavy chop all the way around . . . nice! The 'Bonneville Look' seems to be very popular these days - and this will be a great example.

As you noted, these cars have dimensions that vary all over the place. With many of today's builders wanting 'perfect gaps' all around, we sometimes need to remind ourselves that they didn't come out new with the level of perfection that many think is mandatory today. When Tom at Flop Customs hand-made the quarters for my 32 Cab - he was kind enough to ask me "Dale - do you want me to make them the way that the car came from Ford . . . or to mimic the perfect 3/16 gaps all the way down? - Your call!'. I told him - no perfect door gaps, make it just like Ford make it!

So, he deliberately replicated the gaps and lines the way that Henry had delivered the car (he knew the dimensions cause this car was is such great original shape - nothing molested, no sagging, etc). From Ford, the door gaps actually got tighter at the bottoms on both sides (next to the quarter).

Keep up the fine work and when you get to the States again - we need to get together! Or, maybe I need to take a trip to Finnland . . . as I've never been!

Stogy likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello Sir,
    Thank You very much, it was nice to read Your text.

Do not worry, I come to The States next year! This winter I decided to Stay at home.
    Now need to get ready so many things. First this customers 1934 hot rod, then two flathead engine (firetruck engine and own blown flathead) etc etc.

AH

Stogy likes this.
  21. Keep after it Auliz . . . love your work and we will meet up some day!

Stogy likes this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

finally both quarter windows welded and rear window too.
    I made pass. side quarter window from drive side window. It was very rost. 6hours to make new rim over it etc.etc.

next top of the cowl and then doors. last door garnish.

I need to make new panels front side of door (cowl) and between door and rear inner fender. Owner can change those same time than he looks over all another rost places after sandplasting.

aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  23. Looking great...

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.

Yesterday - Today get ready cowl top and pass. side door.

Dr.side door looks bad. Original door is junk and I have one extra door, but it is very much twisted.
    Lets see tomorrow, how it fits,....

Very much putty down there. I need to make new panels behind doors. Owner can weld those in his own garage. I want to get car out from my garage next week.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I love the look of this chop! Well done sir.

26. Looking good, Auliz. You work fast! My 5 window took a long time to chop and repair.
    34quarterwindowsmall1_10.JPG 34quarterwindows4_8_14.jpg

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. FlatJan

FlatJan

Holy crap I like those 33/34's and your chop gives a great style!

Stogy likes this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You.

Today I was try to go foward with this project, but ,....
    Driverside door was so bad twisted and it took hours to fix it. After that broken 20y old Black&Decker angle grinder, afternoon MISON -gasbottle was empty and 15y old Dewalt angle grinders bearings finish.,...

Good thing is that I wholesell bearings to industry and dealers. I picked up bearings from one of my dealer.
    Dewalt is now "like a brand new" and full weldinggasbottle is waiting. Maybe Saturday is better day to continue,....

A

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  29. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

We've all been there. Some days, no matter how hard you work, nothing goes right and nothing gets done. That's when I pack it up, clear my mind and tell myself tomorrow will be a better day.