Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop a 60-63 chevy P/U?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Anyone on the site do one? I have a couple questions regarding glass, and a few other things. I would imagine it's a pretty good amount of money to get a new w/s made, and I would also imagine that's the only option. The other question I have is I have seen a couple done without quartering the roof. The rear posts taper all the way down, should I pie cut them? Anyway, if anyone on here's done one I'd like to pick your brain.
    Mike

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd talk to my glass guy before I even thought about doing that one.

I think you would have to quarter the top to even think about getting the windshield to fit. The rear posts would be the least of the problems.

The windshild is similar to the 56 Ford F-100 in design and I have seen more than one of those hit the junk yard after a chop attempt that didn't work out.

I'm not saying that it can't be done because it has and times over but it would almost be easier to cut the windshield and then fit the roof to it rather than the other way around.

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's the smart way to do it...

4. Tony

Tony

Lemme know if you need a guy to cut the windshield.. The guy who cut the one in my 53 is VERY good, is a car guy himself, and in Chili so local too..
    He did mine in one shot without breaking it, and from what he was telling me has done many with no problems...
    Although, he did give me the disclaimer and made sure to tell me it might..

Tony

5. A friend of mine had some glass made recently for a chopped Malibu, and it cost $2000. He made a pattern and sent it off and they copied it. I didn't really WANT to pay that much, but I guess that may be the price to pay for the truck to get a haircut. Do you think it's possible to have my windshield cut, and then like you guys said, fit my roof to the w/s?