Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs chevy transmission choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheemo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. cheemo

cheemo

I am hoping someone might be able to help me choose a manual transmission for my project.

Here is some information on my build just for information sake. I am building a custom 2wd 1960 chevy c10. The chassis is from a 94 chevy half ton with two feet removed from the back end (approximately two feet have been taken out of the box as well). More importantly, the engine I plan on putting in it is a 383.

I have a tight budget but am pretty well trained in the arts of scavenging and making wise trades. I have acquired all of the parts for this project so far through a series of trades.

I am wondering what a good manual transmission for this project might be and what might i find it in? Brand new is pretty much out of the question. Any ideas?

2. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I'd suggest a Super T-10 from a Z-28 or Firebird of late 70's to early 80's from a junk yard...... good strong

3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

The nice thing about a Chevy engine is that just about any transmission will bolt up to it.

Manual=good. How many gears? 3,4,5,6? Lots of choices. Intended use?

Manual 3 speeds have been out of production for some time, yet seem to be available just about anywhere, seems every rodder has one under a bench or in a shed that they replaced with a turbo350 or 700r4.

4 speeds, truck or car? Truck is great for a working rig, known as an SM420 or SM465, almost indestructable, HEAVY cast iron cases. Car 4 speeds, Muncie, Saginaw, T-10, more fun with a performance motor.

5 speeds-Not much factory will work. T-5s have been adapted into many things, but are pretty weak. There are some truck 5 speeds, not familiar with them. I really like the aftermarket 5 speeds. Tremec is a great tranny. Doug Nash (aka Richmond) 5 speeds are cool too.

6 speeds? T56 etc? not likely to be found for free or swapping.

You could always combine a 4 speed with an overdrive unit such as a gear vendors or Ranger.

Scrounge away!

Devin

4. cheemo

cheemo

Thanks for the ideas so far. I have a SM465 but I don't want to use it. It is a little too awekward and "clunkish" for what I want. I want a little more performance than a daily driver (though I intend it to be). 4 speed is fine. I know of a few old Camaros that I think I'll go talk to the owners about and see what's in them.