Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Timing Cover advice wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lord Purple, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Ok, I'm sick of my cheapo chrome timing cover pissing oil out from the crank seal AGAIN!

Is the best way to cure this fit a genuine GM cover, or are there any aftermarket ones that are ok, if so let me know what make, don't want another cheap-ass one.

Would you chrome a stock one and expect it to still seal ok? What are you Chevy guys doing? Not all living with oil mist I hope!

Thanks

L.P.

2. Bruce302

Bruce302
    from NZ

3. Barn-core

Barn-core

I've never understood the need for a fancy timing cover. By the time you get the water pump, and harmonic balancer on you can hardly see it anyway. Aftermarket chrome parts are junk. Get a stock one, paint to match, install it properly, and be done with it.

4. Well, the timing chain cover in the auction is setup for an Enderle pump. If you are racing, need a place for the pump, and lose a tiny bit of weight it makes sense. Then there are the street engines that are supposed to look like race engines.

5. It may be the crank snout that is worn if its pissing out the seal.

MOROSO, Milodon and any number of other companies make good parts if misalignment is your problem give one of them a look.

But if its the crank snout that is bad for a couple of bucks you can get a sleeve to go over it.

6. I like to use the Milodon one. The flange is thick,virgin and not warped to shit like old stockers. It also has provision for a cam button.

7. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Run a genuine GM one and be done with it. If you must have aftermarket, Milodon makes the best aftermarket one in my opinion.

Also, as already stated, make sure that the the balancer does not have a groove worn in it causing your leak....

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Pointless on a street driven motor and they look like crap when neglected.

9. dwcustom

dwcustom

Check your harmonic bal. for wear. It should be smooth. NO GROOVE. If there is a groove, go to your local parts house and purchase a sleeve. Install it using a press. DONT try to hammer it on. The seal doesnt care wheather the cover is chrome plated or not.

10. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Thanks guys, firstly the chrome cover was on the engine when I got it, it's a street engine not a race car.

I'll source a stock timing cover first then do the checks recommended on the rest of the hardware. I'd not heard of the sleeve before, who does these in case I need one, I'm in the UK, so US parts stores aren't on every street corner! Are they GM or who makes 'em?

Thanks

L.P.

11. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

National seals as well as CR(chicago rawhide) have them for sure. "Speedy sleeves" are a common name for them...but usually any good partstore counterperson should know about them...well maybe!! The older guys should, a lot of the younger guys don't have a clue.