Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Styleline Transmission mounting height in relation to frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devin, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Wow! I would take you up on that in a heartbeat. I have my family visiting from out of town and am out with them today. I really appreciate the offer!! If you're in the area again let me know and I'll get the pizza oven fired up and the beer iced. Thanks again

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Exactly 4-3/4 from bottom of frame to center of yoke slid all way in output shaft sir. Flux

3. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Awesome i think I can get there. Hope to finish the engine mounts this week

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not far, in any case. Thanks live near the entrance to the Golden Gate Bridge, just outside the Presidio.

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470087790.815796.jpg
    These are the mounts currently on the frame. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470087827.277757.jpg
    These are the ones I just finished. I hope to get them in tonight to see how much they help

6. A step in the right direction, you do nice work.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, nice workmanship.........

Ray

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Thank you gentlemen! I hope to get those mounts in tonight.

9. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Ok, mostly successful! The new mounts drop the engine anothe 1.5" and you can definitely see the positive benefit of clearance, transmission output shaft angle and a lower center of gravity. I still have about an inch clearance between the oil pan and the crossmember. The oil pan barely makes contact with the steering rack, this can be easily resolved with a little gentle persuasion from a hammer. It's still probably a little higher than it should be and I will see if I can continue to tweak things before anything gets permanently attached. The center of the output shaft is 5.5" above the bottom of the frame rails vs. the 4.75" measured from Flux capacitor. I'd like to get it down a bit more but my angle at the trans is at 4 degrees which is probably pushing it. Since my floor is basically nonexistent, I'll most likely build the driveshaft tunnel to fit. If anyone has suggestions or not iced anything out of whack, please speak up. Thanks for all the support. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470196088.413563.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470196105.568517.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470196127.494074.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470196144.185625.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470196159.493247.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I forgot to mention, my driveshaft arrived at the perfect time. I think it's about a half inch too short. I'm going to get a slightly longer slip yoke and call it good.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Needs a little "Jena Se Qua" [​IMG]

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Haha, that would be funny! I was pretty surprised about the white paint.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I picked a Turbo 350 trans after having it rebuilt. The pan and bell housing was painted this awful rose velvet looking color. I was upset about it and ask why ? Reply from rebuilder. "That's my signature".

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. White drive shafts are a requirement to some racing sanctioning bodies. If the 'shaft comes out, it should be visible to other drivers so they don't run it over and potentially catapult it into the stands.

15. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Makes sense this is an IMCA approved shaft. The price was right and it came with the yoke, u-joints and high speed balancing

16. IMCA... there ya go! From Speedway? They got loads of stock car goodies.

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

they sell the same shaft at Speedway but i goth this one from summit. Its funny seeing all the circle track parts on the rear suspension in a custom, but all these parts are durable, affordable, easily obtained and proven to work in severe situations.

18. I use stock car parts when I can. I have an AFCO battery box in my Ford, hydraulic clutch in the stock car style. Summit carries a lot of All Star products, their alignment shim selection is good.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My 56 is slowly going back to stock part's. For every aftermarket part that comes off it stay on the highway without issue longer and longer each time I throw out an aftermarket "performance" piece away.

20. By stock cars I mean circle track race cars. Lots of good parts around for the right $$.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Pssss, where did the word "stock" in stock car come from ? :) ;)

22. Maybe stock-stock at one point in time. In 1950 people would tape up the headlights and shoe polish a # on the door and race on Saturday nights. Monday, they took off the tape and numbers and drove to work... bet that got old fast if they bent the car up good...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Let's really get down to picking fly poo from pepper shall we ? Why a white drive shaft ? Why white all over the underside ? It isn't white that makes it any better, right ? So why white ? Answer. It makes it easy to spot any leaks of any type very quickly and early on before it becomes an issue/hazard to anyone on the track. And in my case. Gasser aka Gas Coupe started as a stock category in drag racing. So it seems I'm going back in time, figuratively speaking that is.