Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy straight six help- gearboxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the pinstriper, Oct 31, 2011.

1. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

Hey guys, posted a few "help" threads on here before and as usual very helpful responses due to all the inliner guys out there!

So, I've got 59 apache with a 235 and a 292 has come up forsale local, I want to keep my original gearbox 3 speed manual colomn change, and build a "revy" 6 on tripple carbs. So I thought getting the best power engine to start with will help but want to keep my gearbox, so will it all bolt together and work the same as now with the 235?

Thanks in advance to any info, Joe

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A '59 Chevy three speed transmission has the same bolt pattern as the 292 bell housing does, so they should bolt together. The only problem you man encounter is if the diameter of the center hole on the bell housing isn't the same as the diameter of the front bearing retainer on the transmission.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You will need a V-8 bellhousing from a PU with the mounting pads to hook a 292 to your trans.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the simple and easy way to get it done and the same as I have for my 48 with 292 and three speed. It helps that you can set the engine and bolt up the rear mounts and then level it and build the front mounts too. Plus it puts the trans right back where it was so the linkage and driveshaft fit without issues.

This one 190594857565 on Ebay is way to hell and gone over priced but it will show you what you are looking for.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

5. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

result! thanks for teh info and help chaps. will go get the engine and keep my eyes peeled for a bellhousing